PDA

View Full Version : FAA A&P - Airframe or Powerplant first?

Jay_solo
18th May 2009, 15:30
Hi,

If circumstance dictates that you are unable to get both Airframe and Powerplant certs (A&P), which is best to get first; Airframe or Powerplant? or is that down to personal preference?

If you want to work on N-Reg aircraft in the UK or Europe, besides your FAA certs, would you need any other certificates?

Yoth
18th May 2009, 18:57
I did my A&P back in 1991, so things may have changed, but i don't think they have.
You can take the exams seperately, there is/was the airframe, powerplant and general paper followed by the oral/practical test. I doubt you will be able to have a "restricted" A&P with just an airframe or powerplant rating.
As for other certs - I think getting a job with a company that operates a lot of N reg aircraft will be the hardest part, never mind additional certs.
You could give the feds a call at their West Drayton office on 0208 754 8819.
They are friendly enough. Roberto Gonzalez is your man, or he was last year.

MarkerInbound
18th May 2009, 23:33
It's not a "restricted" A&P, you just have one or the other. Most training programs are set up to get you both but you can be just one or the other. The FAA has guidance that the practical test for both must be 8 hours long while if you're going doing one the practical is only 6 hours and if you want to add the other later it's another 4 hours of testing.

SNS3Guppy
19th May 2009, 03:44
The FAA certificate is the Mechanic Certificate. Two ratings are available on the certificate: Airframe, and Powerplant. One may hold either one or the other, or both. Additionally, one may hold an Inspection Authorization, which is required to sign off annual inspections, and execute Form 337's (Major Repairs or Alterations).

Which to get first? Depends what you intend to be doing with your certificate. The airframe opens you up to a wider variety of types of maintenance, but if you're working in an engine shop...then the powerplant is the place to start. It's up to you.

Bus429
19th May 2009, 06:11
If you work for an EU-based 145 also holding FAR 145, you don't need an A & P (do you?).

HOVIS
19th May 2009, 08:40
Correct, you will need an EASA B1 though if you are to certify. :)

NutLoose
19th May 2009, 14:54
And if its the light end of the market EU wise, you can't have a A without a C, you require both Airframes and Engines.

Angelinabv
10th Aug 2010, 02:44
HI,

The Aircraft Industry considers the person who has completed a course of instruction or by sheer experience has accumulated the necessary knowledge to become an Airframe & Powerplant maintenance technician to be the top in their field. This person has demonstrated that he or she is familiar with all facets of aircraft maintenance.The A&P License is mandatory in many fields to even be considered for an entry-level position. For this reason, the A&P license is highly desired and is a natural adjunct for the technician, whether he is highly experienced or just recently out of a training environment. This license is the ticket to maintaining or finding rewarding employment.

Power Plant Developers (http://www.sterling-energy.com)

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Viji/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Viji/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Viji/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Viji/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

rosyriveter
11th Aug 2010, 20:42
Ok, I used to teach at an A&P school. This is how it goes. First of all if you havent been to an FAA approved school, you have to be signed off by an FAA inspector who will ask you some questions and examine your experience. If he is satisfied you are eligible, he will sign you off and then you take the General first. Computer based multi choice, required whether you want airframe or powerplant. After that the choice is yours. I recommend you do the one in which you are most experienced first. You will find it easier. Then another multi choice exam on computer followed by the O&P. The writtens are easy if you learn the q&a books. The oral & practical is a bit more difficult though. If it were me, I would knock out both at the same time. Everything can be done on the same day, depending on how much you know! ;) Then he might drag it into the following day. Not much more work really if you have the knowledge for both. 30 months experience req'd for both together or 18 months for each separately. Hope that helps.

Flightmech
20th Aug 2010, 14:32
BUS429,

That is correct, providing the Part 145 maintenance organisation has the appropriate aircraft type listed on their FAR-145 approval certificate. If not then A&P required to release.