PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new and need some help!!

Glen Air
18th May 2009, 15:00
Hi folks! Firstly,I just wanted to mention that I'm new to the forum and hope to enjoy my participation in future threads and discussions.

Secondly,some of you might be thinking to yourselves,"oh here we go again,another one needing advice for getting into Ops!" Well,this is my story! Since childhood I always had a passion for aviation and to date still do. I always dreamt of one day being a pilot,but when I lived in S/Africa,I unfortunately did not have the funds to do my licenses and there was no government sponsored bursary available at that time either!Anyway to cut the long story short,I immigrated to the UK and a few years back thought I can't pursue the flying side of things anymore and decided the next best decision which I could undertake was to do a Flight Ops/Dispatch course as this was the "nearest" I could get to being involved with flying,but obviously on the ground,if you know what I mean! I'm very "clued up" on most aspects of flying and flight ops and really wanted to make a success of this! Believe me when I say I'm more than passionate and eager,I eat,sleep and breathe aeroplanes!It has been a few years now since I qualified with my C&G Core subjects and a Dangerous Goods by Air course all of which I funded through my own finances.I've applied for numerous positions in this sector and even went for an interview with a major airline and I've had absolutely no luck what so ever! In fact I have a file just of application letters I sent that is as thick as my arm! This must be the most difficult career to get into and even though I'm never going to give up,it really has become disheartening!! Sorry for the big long speel,but I need some wise words of advice and comments from anyone who's been in the same situation! Thanks folks!:sad:

Out Of Trim
18th May 2009, 16:11
Glen Air,

Welcome to PPRune!

I can see that you are keen to work in the aviation sector. Ops jobs with airlines do come up now and again; however, they seem to mostly get snapped up by those more experienced types with some relevant ops/aviation experience already.

I would therefore suggest you try contacting the various Airport Ground Handling Agents as a way into the aviation community. Perhaps in a Dispatch / Turn-round coordinator role. Although these positions are usually filled by company personnel transferring from other jobs within the company, they still often take on staff directly to fill these posts too.

Your main problem, would be trying to find a company with vacancies!
Most companies do take on staff to cover the busier summer season on temporary contracts and if they like you; may keep you on a permanent contract for the quieter winter season.

That said, times are very hard within this industry, All these Handling Agents now work on very small margins and are trying every avenue to cut costs and staff just to break even. So if you are gainfully employed now; you need to think very carefully before joining a quite unstable industry.

The threat of redundancy seems to be ever present, virtually every year now. :{

Good Luck in your search anyway!

iam_srajesh
18th May 2009, 16:20
dear glen air

keep ur dreams always flying and keep aiming.. well we both travel in same aircraft of dreams sitting in cockpit..from my child hood i eat sleep drink and dream aircrafts and it took 13 years for me to save money work harder and then i spent everything to study finally dispatch in US which i never thought as i am from india..and then now after 2 years of getting my license i am still trying..not dropped my hopes..hopefully want to work in ops before i die..so dont worry u keep aiming and u do ur part of job correctly..if luck is in favour things will fall in place automatically someday..all the best

rajesh

scottpe
19th May 2009, 01:31
Glen, check your PM's.

boredcounter
19th May 2009, 07:46
Hi there,

As Trim indicates, these are very bad times to be looking!

Just finished nights so sorry quick bullet points.

If you have passed the C&G core subjects, can you fund one more module? If so you have the full qualification. W&B may stand you in good stead with Handling Agents.

Consider Crewing, it can be easier to get into (no offence Crewing peeps) in so much as 'junior' hotac / taxi type positions and a chance to prove yourself.

Consider any other positions within a larger company and check the internal job ads.

Good luck, but please do pay head to Trim, not the best time at all at the moment, but no reason to give up all hope.

Bored

Glen Air
19th May 2009, 21:06
Thanks guys for all your help and advice! Much appreciated!