PDA

View Full Version : Birdsville Races

stuart.simmons
18th May 2009, 12:37
I am heading up to Birdsville in September this year for the horse race. Does anyone know if there is any mobile phone coverage? What about AVGAS over the race weekend?

Thanks...:)

rioncentu
18th May 2009, 20:54
No mobile phone coverage. Yes bower avgas (At $2.30/l last month ).

Watch for the CASA AOD program. I asked CASA for their interpretation and they say YES it is a safety senstive area.

What the organisers are going to do about that, I have no idea???

But if you can't have a beer and wander "home" to bed under the wing, what is the point?

Di_Vosh
18th May 2009, 22:26
G'day Stuart,

AVGAS is available, and the marshallers there will direct you to the bowser when you land.

That is, they'll want to fill you up as you're paying your landing fees, finding out where to park, etc. So try to have an idea how much fuel you'll want on board for your return trip in advance (saves topping up in the mad rush on Sunday)

Cheers,

DIVOSH!

flying-spike
19th May 2009, 01:37
Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.birdsvilleraces.com/Races2008/FAQ)

Ovation
19th May 2009, 07:26
Topped up at YBDV about 4 hrs ago with AVGAS at $2.30/litre.

YBDV is a Security Controlled airport, so don't forget to wear your ASIC card!

If you look at the gate near the bowser there's a big enough gap to squeeze under, or you need to remember CZ12** - and guess the last two numbers!

There was NO reception with Telstra or Vodaphone.

:ok:

Dick Smith
19th May 2009, 11:01
Yes There was mobile coverage last year One of the companies put in a temporary terminal. Phone the pub to get the details.

Worrals in the wilds
19th May 2009, 11:12
You could consider hiring a satellite phone if you need coverage.

Landwide provide nice Telstra phones on the Iridium network at a reasonable cost. If you are driving, they are also useful enroute if you have any unscheduled dramas :eek:.

tinpis
19th May 2009, 21:55
Mobile phones? Jesus wept, last time I was there they were using old Nigel the black tracker and smoke signals.

Worrals in the wilds
20th May 2009, 08:18
Tinpis, I think they still are but now he has a satphone as well :}