PDA

View Full Version : Apprenticeship in Aircraft Maintainance

Aerohero263
18th May 2009, 11:54
Hello I AM 21 i have recently finished my studies in Aerospace engineering. I have a National Certificate In Aerospace engineering and National Diploma in Aerospace Engineering AND NVQ LEVEL 2. I recently Applied for an Apprenticeship In Aircraft Maintainance at Monarch Aircraft Engineering Limited Luton Based. After the apprenticeship YOU WILL GET EASA A licence standard.

Is it wise to do this Apprenticeship or go to University?

Where do trainees stay, i was told Monarch have accomodation that we can pay to use?

How much do Apprentices get paid? they never said on the Phone, Is it true they pay 18k i heard that from another Apprentices.( Is the money good enough that will have enough power IN THE WORLD to get a good looking a WOMAN cos at the moment i can't seem to get any LOL):sad:

On airmech.co.uk i here A lot Of people who did Apprenticeship there, moaning is it a nice place to do your Apprenticeship?

jpoth06
18th May 2009, 18:15
What's your ultimate goal?

If it's to be doing hands on work with aircraft, then forget the uni route. You need to start studying for a license or get yourself an apprenticeship or job as a mechanic.

Aerohero263
20th May 2009, 08:54
I like the apprebnticeship better than the Uni Route. The Uni route is it worth it?if you wanna do designing is it easier nowadays to find a job in that Department cos there is loads of peeps going into that. i just think the Uni route is waste of money

doncas
29th May 2009, 19:10
Aerohero263,

I started Uni when I was 17, after completing the equivalent of my A levels. I started a degree course I thought I liked (Science) but discovered after 2 years that it was not what I wanted to do.

I searched around, and found that an Aircraft Engineering apprenticeship was what I was after and left Uni before graduating. My time in Uni did stand to me though, as I had a great understanding of maths and physics.

I started the apprenticeship at 21, and finshed about three years ago, got licenced and moved to a Technical Services role, a domain usually reserved for engineering graduates.

My point is that in aviation, if you apply yourself, you'll find that you can all end up in more or less the same place. I hope to start the Aeronautical Engineering degree in Kingston Uni this September, which can be completed over two years part time, distance learning, a relatively 'cheap and easy' degree.

So I'll end up with an aircraft engineering licence (B1/B2), a degree, and the world my oyster!

I will certainly share my experience with how I moved through the system, but I won't advise which is better, only you can make the decision that suits you...

Ryanair are currently looking for apprentices, as I would suspect a lot of other outfits, so weigh your options, consider what would suit you the most, and go for it!!

G'luck,

D

planecrazy.eu
5th Jun 2009, 13:12
18k for an apprentice scheme? dont sound right to me.

I would say you might be on that after the 3/4 year training scheme?

I would look closer to 10k, but maybe i am wrong.

mrmagooo
5th Jun 2009, 13:36
The apprenticeship is the way to go if you want to know how to fix aircraft...... Of all the people I have met, those who did an apprenticeship usually had a better attitude and far better hand skills thanm those who went to Uni. The lads who went to Uni didnt seem to have the ability to understand that they were back at the bottom of the pile.

Experience counts for everything in this game, and you get that on an apprenticeship

Aerohero263
11th Jun 2009, 13:46
thanks for the advice