PDA

View Full Version : Protectionism alive and well

NURSE
17th May 2009, 15:18
Well it looks like the Democrats in america have reverted to the historic policy of protectionism.

The VH71 (EH101 Presidential flight version) has be abandoned
it look like the C27J programme is being cut back
KC30 cancelled
mind yous CSAR-X has also been chopped.

I would say if it ain't 100% American they won't buy or will cancel

Solid Rust Twotter
17th May 2009, 15:47
You expected maybe chopped liver....?:}

Herc-u-lease
17th May 2009, 15:53
Bear in mind too that the Whitehouse administration is causing a rather large "discussion piece" regarding the future of F-22. Not just non-native platforms that are facing the chop/curtailment.:\

minigundiplomat
17th May 2009, 16:38

They have probably gained the same impression as the rest of the world. It's ok, but there are better US aircraft available cheaper, and sooner.

TheWizard
17th May 2009, 19:54
Let me guess.......

MaroonMan4
17th May 2009, 20:16
What amazing good fortune - excellent news indeed.

Here we (the Royal 'we') are still trying to satisfy a scathing NAO report over 5 years ago slating the MoD for not enough Lift/Battlefield Helicopters.

Here we are war fighting in a theatre that is desperately short of helicopters for everything from 'ash and trash' to IRT/MERT.

Here we are with a lift helicopter procurement process that has be delayed, re-named, re-branded - all on the pretense of supposedly equipping the frontline with exactly the future capability it requires, when actually all it has done has been a political play to save money and transfer risk to the very aircrew that have to fight (yes, fight) these 40 year old aircraft on operations. Sorry Junglies, I respect you all, but how you lot keep flying that historic aircraft only God knows - one day a combination of your luck and bravery will run out - all because the procurement boys keep on delaying. And before you cry Service politics foul I know that our Puma is in a similar position.

Here we are with a Commons Defence Committee hearing this Tuesday (according to the Times) to discuss helicopters.

And.....

Here we are with the US Govt turning off the tap for VH-71.

Even Lord Mandleson and our Prime Minister must surely see the political value in this - more/retained jobs for industry (dare I say expansion if Westlands cannot absorb the whole of Lockheed Martin's work share?).

Finmeccanica/AW must also be happy - their contract boys will be all over this like a rash to ensure contractual severance payouts and also have the supply line switched to a UK customer.

Maybe not what the Junglies wanted and we all know they secretly covet the twin TQ monster, but in this climate beggars cannot be choosers and given a choice of the old Sea Queen or a shiney new GTI version of the Merlin then I am sure that they will take it - or they can wait until about 2030 when they get their current forecast replacement!!

GreenKnight121
18th May 2009, 06:52
Well it looks like the Democrats in america have reverted to the historic policy of protectionism.

it look like the C27J programme is being cut back
KC30 cancelled
mind yous CSAR-X has also been chopped.

I would say if it ain't 100% American they won't buy or will cancel

:hmm:

C-17 (Boeing) to end production
F-22 (Lock-Mart/Boeing) to end production
CSAR-X (CH-47 variant, Boeing) cancelled

All US-designed/built.

The KC-X is only delayed (both the ~60% US-content KC-767 candidate and the ~40% US-content KC-30 candidate), with a new competition to be run.

The C-27J cut is all about internal USAF vs US Army politics.

VH-71B suffered from the "add more stuff after the contract is signed" syndrome, nothing else.

All of these have (had) significant US content as well as foreign content... and as they are not being replaced with anything... US-made or not, so US workers/companies are suffering from these decisions.

But its purely a US conspiracy against European stuff, you see.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

NO, its a cut-back across the board (a Democratic Party specialty).

BEagle
18th May 2009, 08:14
Wasn't the primary issue with VH-71B the cost and complexity of all the electronic gear needed whenever the President flies anywhere? No real issue with the airframe, but lots of cost/integration issues?

Re KC-X, at the recent ARSAG seminar in Las Vegas, Boeing was very noticeably low key compared with EADS North America and Northrop Grumman. The KC-767A Frankentanker still hasn't flown (neither the Italian AF nor JSDF aircraft are full-up KC-767As) whereas both the KC-30A and A330MRTT are romping ahead with their flight test programmes. I asked the rep. on the Boeing stand one simple question "Have you done any wet transfers from the pods yet?" - she was unable to answer........

Nevertheless, I expect that the loud voices of some 'good old boys' in Congress will apply political bias to the KC-X programme, to the detriment of the customer's interests.

Talk Split
18th May 2009, 16:10
As a Junglie flying the 40 y/o Sea King to within an inch of its life on ops, I will happily fly the US101, should it come our way.

As long as the white leather seats and red carpet remain...

Double Zero
18th May 2009, 16:35
I think you'll find politicians of any flavour are able to get a Medevac helicopter if the need arises, and sod everyone else.

Gnd
18th May 2009, 17:14
Good, the Puma replacement plan has worked then !!!!!