PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why Ministers NEED to travel...

Flying Binghi
17th May 2009, 13:12
Via Sky

Reason number one - Climate change.... (Tanner)

...are they travelling to help create climate change ? ...their not travelling in them big bad polluting jets i hope..:hmm:

The_Pharoah
17th May 2009, 22:22
Reason #2: they're directly helping the airline and travel industries :}

Capt Claret
17th May 2009, 22:33
I too, used to be of the opinion that pollies were in it (politics) for personal gain, trips, junkets etc.

Then, through Mrs C I got to know one, whom she had been friends with for many years, and in the early 2000's, Mrs C worked as an advisor to a minister in the NT Govt.

Pilots are oft heard to complain about missing family activities, birthdays, anniversaries, kids growing etc. Well from my perspective (now) many, if not most pollies are in a similar boat. The Minister Mrs C worked for, would have killed to just go home at the end of the day and put his feet up, rather than attend the endless functions.

Trips, domestic and international provided little time to relax or enjoy. Mostly they were endless meetings, overnighting in countless hotel rooms, schmoozing with dignitaries or pollies, as they tried their best to promote the Territory.

My view of politicians has changed such that whilst I still detest John Howard's politics, I now believe that he did what he thought was in the best interests of the Country and Government that he served. That he was wrong, is another matter entireley! :p

Wiley
18th May 2009, 01:19
But with Peter Garrett busting all records for money spent on overseas trips it really is a double-edged sword. Not only is the man and "doing his bit" manfully to empty Kev's (our!) fast reducing coffers (can't bring myself to say "increasing his carbon footprint") , but imagine... on all these trips, how many people, wherever he visits, are walking away saying "That's an Australian government minister???"

bushy
18th May 2009, 01:50
Last week I had lunch with a retired Senator.
He told a story of how he was travelling all the time, and hardly ever home. One day his phone rang at home. His son answered. He heard his son say "no, he's in Darwin......he's in Canberra....... hang on.....Mum says he's in the toilet."

priapism
18th May 2009, 02:03
Darwin,Canberra,toilet--what's the difference???

Ultralights
18th May 2009, 07:42
Darwin,Canberra,toilet--what's the difference???
all it takes is one button and the problems disappear from a toilet.

teresa green
18th May 2009, 12:37
Did they say why that bloke who looks like a overworked undertaker aka Peter Garrett, needs to travel so much given his dislike to any sort of exhaust from either car or aircraft?:confused:

JaseAVV
18th May 2009, 16:31
am friends with highly placed pollie who totally believes in climate change.

will fly halfway across the country for a meeting that could be held over a phone simply because "it's better face to face".

hmmmmmmmmmmm

assasin8
20th May 2009, 01:26
Yes, they definitely NEED to fly... Keeps me employed! Don't tell them about video conferencing and telephones though!!!:ok:

max1
21st May 2009, 13:14
It seems. IF I believe the papers, that most OS travelling is done when it is cold in Canberra.

Toolman101
22nd May 2009, 01:17
CC

Pilots are oft heard to complain about missing family activities, birthdays, anniversaries, kids growing etc. Well from my perspective (now) many, if not most pollies are in a similar boat.

Bet you aren't receiving the same super as they are at the end of your career!!!!!:{

teresa green
22nd May 2009, 03:58
To say nothing of the fact, your home away allowance sure as hell ain't going to pay off a mortgage of home, purchased by your missus!:suspect: