PDA

View Full Version : Working for EK

RED5
17th May 2009, 01:03
I have been offered a position at EK , just wondering what the other engineers who work there think. I have been offered an E3 position in base heavy. I currently work line Maintenance for a company in nort America. An y advice or thoughts would be appreciated. What is the housing like , shift , general work conditons. Thanks

h3dxb
17th May 2009, 05:42
When ever You have the choice, than stay in beautiful America. Base is Ok, Line chaotic. No clear scheme in all of the procedures. Everybody is covering his a@@, because U got blamed.

Housing allowance is cancelled, U have to move in provided accomodation, no to recommend when U come with family. Due to really hot summer U need a big appartment for the kids.

Believe only 50% of the promises at the interview, otherwise U get disappointed.:sad:

h3dxb
19th May 2009, 12:46
U R right Ludlow, but to get a mortage U have to be confirmed staff, that means approbiation time over, so at least 6 month in company provided accom. Don't know what is when U direct opt for the allowances.

PM me for yr other question.

good luck everyone

asheng
22nd May 2009, 20:34
Guys,

I've also been offered a job as a Lic Eng on the line.

I put a thread on the Middle East section and got some wide views and mostly from the pilots perspective.

My question still remains, what are EK like to work for as an engineer and whats it like to live in Dubai. I'm currently single but as time goes by will become accompanied. Having looked at the T+C's offered they don't seem to bad. I don't have a problem with provided accomodation provided its of the same standard I currently own (Comfortable) so again whats it like.

Whats the cost of living like? What are the working conditions (Hot! i know........................................................ ....... its the desert!) with regard to organisation, prospects, future type courses and progression?

If anyone can give me some opinions and not just whinge about not getting a bonus this year (Nobodies making money this year, EZ - £130 Mil loss, BA £401 Mil loss, RYR ????) and in my opinion a bonus is just that. Afet all, you live on your wages all said and done. Please don't moan about the hotels not being as good as last year on overnights, they never are. If you want to stay and live in top hotels around the world, become Judith Chalmers.

All companies have there good points and no so good but honestly, is EK a worthwhile move. I'm currently a Lic Eng at a rather large European Airline at the mo but fancy a lifestyle and employment change provided its worthwhile and I'm just trying to see if it is and worth taking the offer further.

Many thanks guys

h3dxb
23rd May 2009, 05:23
Asheng
I left a big european carrier with a good position and salary for a promised nice carrier and " we hire only the best".

Some of this "best" I would allow to change a wheel on my plane, under Supervision............

When U come with a B1.1 license, no license pay till U have the GCAA license.
Takes round about 6-12 month, although EK wanna swap to EASA 145.......

Line is taff, and has no manpower, poor guys who have to work under +50deg on the plane to supervise the mechanics, who have their own tools from home depot......Inadequate techlog system........stupid DD system. But fine colleguages.

Medical is awesome. Compared to my private health insurance better. Even for family. U have problem U call U have an appointment. No bills.

Accomodation see the other threads.

Cost of living: compared to the states, I would say NJ, little bit less.
Dubai has everything, and when U join the www.eecdxb.com engineersclub , for peanuts U have access to some nice clubs and restaurants with great discounts.
Of course U can also spend ur whole money in nightlife :{

To survive the crisis a good place, than move further on. and BTW don't sign under 19K/month basic (remember no license pay no bonus:sad:)