PDA

View Full Version : Difference between "THERE" and "THEIR"

slapfaan
16th May 2009, 01:14
Now the queen's english might not be my 1st language, and we all make spelling mistakes from time to time, but I'm pulling out my toenails over this one..so here we go:

What is the Difference between There, Their, and They're?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad you asked. "There" (daar) indicates a place as in, "I live here (hier) not there (daar)."

It is the opposite of "here (hier)." "Their" (hulle/hulle s'n) is the possessive of "they" (hulle), as in "They (Hulle) live there but is isn't their (hulle) house."
Here you want to indicate that the house belongs to them.

"They're" (hulle is) is a contraction of "they are", so that to say, "They're (hulle is) over there (daar) in their (hulle) new house" means "They are over at that place in the new house that belongs to them."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the Difference betweeen There and Their? (http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/english_grammar_style/difference_between_their_there.html)

Sharp sharp nè!

Sleeve_of_Wizard
16th May 2009, 03:52
I have the same issues with LOOSE and LOSE........... LOOSING and LOSING................

This confusion can easily be avoided if you pronounce the word intended aloud. If it has a voiced Z sound, then it’s “lose.” If it has a hissy S sound, then it’s “loose.” Here are examples of correct usage: “He tends to lose his keys.” “She lets her dog run loose.” Note that when “lose” turns into “losing” it loses its “E.” :ugh:

Sleeve_of_Wizard
16th May 2009, 04:32
Dan, you looser, hahahaha....

Shot Nancy
16th May 2009, 10:23
Slappers the lot of youse!

Alistair
16th May 2009, 11:06
AOA - Spinless

I can't figure out if this means the AOA is unable to put a positive light on anything, are from a similar species as jelly fish or can't deliver a descent googly?

and before you start it was intentshion..indentscio..:rolleyes: I meant to do it! I can spull jist as god is noone

Rusty Shagman
16th May 2009, 16:17
By the way, boet, there is no such punctuation as ".." in the english language. It is always a minimum of three dots (known as an ellipsis) and sometimes (for example, when an ellipsis is followed by a period, or full-stop) it may be four.

Now, are you pulling out your toenails, or are you pulling your toenails out...? That's a whole different subject, swaar .... :ok:

dbee
16th May 2009, 16:31
Their - means belongs to the person

There - is a place "over there"

They've means 'they have'

Loose = let go

Lose = mislaid

Such for 'O' level english!
dbee

Busbert
17th May 2009, 00:57
People keep reminding me that they are paid so much not for what they do but for what they know....

I am guessing that there must be a few ICAO Level 3 native English speakers out there in the ranks.

Grammar is not a major consideration for pilots anyhow, and they only need to use the 'First person singular' in normal everyday conversation, i.e. I, me, mine etc.

:ok:

Loopdeloop
17th May 2009, 01:13
Alistair - Very good, indeed almost ROFL!
here here (chortle)

okm
17th May 2009, 01:56
your vs you're