PDA

View Full Version : What is 'Condition'?

ACL1011
15th May 2009, 17:02
I am watching the NTSB simulation of Colgan 3407. I know what all the other controls are, but not 'condition'. If anyone can provide an answer, I'd be much obliged.

Der absolute Hammer
15th May 2009, 17:39
I will try a quick shot as you seem to need some informations quickly.
Depends on the aircraft but usually the levers have to positions. High and Low.. They control the shut off on the fuel control unit/FCU and allow for more engine response on the ground. This is useful for air conditioning on the ground and also ffor taxiing when you want to taxi faster move the condtion levers to High. It makes a viral noise! I do not remember but does this alllow more fuel to the engine without moving the Power Levers which would alter the angle of attack of the blades?
They are High for take off and landing. Generally-I think it is correct in saying that if you are in the cruise and you move the levers from High to Low-not much happens but if you have them in Low as on a final approach and need power in a hurry-less will happen than if they were in High position. Which may be what you want to find out?
It is a long time since I flew the PT6 which is the KingAir/Emb110 engine. The Garrets has a different system and I think that the Twin Otter is even more of a difference. So I stand to be totally corrected on this.

G SXTY
17th May 2009, 10:08
I haven't seen the simulation you refer to, but if it's regarding the Colgan Q400, I assume you mean condition levers.

In simple layman's terms, these control the 'condition' (which in flight means principally the rpm) of the props. Without writing an essay on the subject, condition levers are set to max (1020rpm) for take-off, and brought back to 850rpm for climb and cruise, although 900rpm is also available if required.

On final approach the levers are advanced back to max, so that instant performance is available if a go-around is required. Higher rpm is noisy, however, and as the Q400 has such reserves of power, it's normal to fly the approach with 'reduced Np' selected, so although the condition levers are at max, prop rpm remains at 850rpm. If a go-around is initiated, the aircraft then automatically schedules a higher rpm.

ACL1011
19th May 2009, 20:38
Ah, it has to do with props. I'm not very well-versed on that, which is why it was a new term. The terms usually at least look familiar to me.

Thank-you both for your explanations--I understood both quite well.

Cheers!