PDA

View Full Version : Wear Red on Fridays - Show Support for Our Troops

olddog
15th May 2009, 10:24
Does anyone else wear Red on Fridays to show support for our troops? I saw it suggested on the web some weeks back and have been participating since. The idea is to show that we appreciate the commitment and bravery of our troops, red representing those who are wounded or pay the ultimate sacrifice. If everyone who reads this wears red when they go to the pub tonight, and tells the locals why, it might catch on and show the real pride that exists in our flag and the sacrifices and hardships endured by our forces on a daily basis.

On a recent trip to the USA, I noticed members of the public approaching members of the armed forces, who all travel in uniform when on duty, to shake hands and thank them for the job they are doing. I have started to do the same. I am ex RAF and proud of it. Come on! Let's stand up and show our pride! Wear Red on Fridays!!

cazatou
15th May 2009, 12:09
Do I take it that the wearing of red is a reference to the Lacedaemonians?

That would date it back to 1777.

Mr C Hinecap
15th May 2009, 12:11
Didn't the AIDS charities pick up the colour red a couple of years back?

Why not actually do something rather than wearing something - that might make a difference. :confused:

BEagle
15th May 2009, 12:20
Why not actually do something rather than wearing something - that might make a difference.

Quite agree! One way is to contribute to Help for Heroes - A charity for the wounded in Britain?s current conflicts (http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/)

As this young lady has done: Help for Heroes (http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/peta_todd.html)

olddog
15th May 2009, 14:33
I also support Help for Heroes, The RAFBF and RAFA. This is just a way of showing support and maybe encouraging a few more members of the public to think about what our armed forces do in their name.

Dengue_Dude
19th May 2009, 20:11
Take a lesson from Mr Colin Stagg ex NZ and Lyneham who obviously supported the troops,

But instead of wearing red, he just opened his EYES!

If you are around to read this Colin, I still remember my room in Nassau and the bath full of Harvey Wallbanger . . . oops

Wasn't that my room that the security guard was dangled over the balcony by his ankles after complaining about the noise . . . trouble was my room was on about the 5th floor . . . oops twice.

neilknowles
20th May 2009, 09:37
There has always been a convention that in the City of London ex services wear Regimental ties on Fridays.........or Club or school ties. This has also spread to Parliament over the years and I am quite pleasantly surprised when people do it on the train into town who I would never have expected to and it leads to some very interesting conversations at times.
I think it should be more widespread and by adding the wear red those who dress down can also join in.

Top Hole

Buntybunny
20th May 2009, 10:12
Granddaughter emailed from Oz about rearing red on Fridays. Doing it over there to show support, good on the youngsters - told her not to wear a red hat! :):)

City of Lond. R.A. Neil ? Was with them as a civilian - long ago :rolleyes:, 254 Reg. Have great admiration and appreciation of all our service folk. Will be wearing red, not hat, on Fridays. Am ex ROC too.