PDA

View Full Version : Number of professional pilots in Canada

underwriter
13th May 2009, 14:23
Hi,
I am an Underwriter in London with 2 new Loss of Licence products; one for Cabin Crew and one that protects a professional pilots licence (in a limited form) if they are made redundant and therefore lose their full LOL policy.
I am talking to various parties about marketing these products in Canada and have been asked to ascertain how many professional pilots there are in said country. Part 2 is how many airline pilots are there.
So if anybody could advise me on a rough estimate of these figures I would be very grateful.
I suppose I ought to ask if you chaps (and ladies) actually think these are worthwhile products!
Many thanks in advance
Underwriter.

777AV8R
13th May 2009, 14:45
This is a product that has been needed for some time. Many of us work 'contract' and in some cases, the loss of license coverage is either poor or non-existent.
It would be interesting to hear more.

underwriter
13th May 2009, 16:16
Hi,
The idea is that once unemployed, the policy will protect the licence. As mentioned it is on a very limited basis. There is, for instance, no Permanent Total Disablement as I need to avoid the moral hazard. This will stop the sudden back problem, the sudden hearing problem etc. It is designed to pay in event of major accident (car crash type) and in the event of specified illness's, similar to those found in a critical illness policy.
It should be bought by the airline and it has a 6 month waiting period but as there is no moral hazard that could probably be waived. It is aimed at groups of pilots (for economic reasons) and whilst we truly hope no one is ever in a position to even need the cover, in today's economic turmoil and with (so it appears to the layman) airlines looking to cut staff, I am simply hoping it is something to give a little bit of help and protection until the next job can be found.
I am not allowed to talk to the "public" (Lloyd's constitution) but if you and your colleagues are ever interested to pursue then please let me know and I wil put a broker in touch with you.
Underwriterl

Carrier
17th May 2009, 16:56
The obvious place to check first would be the Transport Canada Civil Aviation website. Yes, they publish the Quarterly Licensing Statistics: Flight Crew Licensing - Summary of Flight Crew and Air Traffic Control Licences (http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/personnel/stats/stats007.htm)

underwriter
18th May 2009, 11:16
Thanks Carrier: will crack on!

underwriter
18th May 2009, 11:19
Carrier,
Bang on: many thanks!