View Full Version : Flood of new expats in Korean

Ace Springbok
13th May 2009, 02:35
Met up with a long time skipper in KAL; he lamented the lack of professionalism in the new crop of expat skippers in KAL...from downright uncouth and rude to poor general piloting skills. Guys showing up for free meal coupons at the dispatch office in jeans, shorts, scuffy Tees and jandals despite repeated reminders from the admin guys. I guess the new fellas are mainly wannabes who managed to sneak into KAL with dodgy licences, ratings and cooked books full of fictitious flying hours. You wouldn't believe how they become 744/777 skippers with thousands of hours at such young ages and attitudes to boot!

FCS Explorer
13th May 2009, 09:38
and your point is... ???????????

captjns
13th May 2009, 10:10
Hey Ace... why don't you volunteer to be the company expat fashion police and the chief administrator of food stamps:ok:.

Vref+10.....to 44
13th May 2009, 10:30
god...i bet you are fun to fly with................

should pilots all wear goggles,go to private school and talk about nothing except the different ways to say FL100?

those days are over....right or wrong. welcome to the real world .

parabellum
13th May 2009, 10:56
Don't know about KAL but I have been an expat in two major carriers and it was written that when visiting the office one was expected to be properly dressed, smart casual and that T shirts, shorts and flip flops etc. etc. were not acceptable. Not saying it is right but if that is what the paymaster wants then, for the sake of avoiding any hassle, why not just do it? It is not as though one goes to the office out of uniform that often, is it? Much easier to make visits coincide with a trip and thereby keep valuable days off for yourself. Just my 2d.

Basil
13th May 2009, 11:00
Ace, these guys; do they all start off by saying "G'dai." ? :}

oceancrosser
13th May 2009, 11:04
Or more likely, Ace´s own countrymen. Still, what a thread subject...

blackred1443
13th May 2009, 11:23
well i never,pilots wearing shorts.puts the darfur crisis in perspective

MPH
13th May 2009, 12:49
KAl are the only ones whom should object? If 'they' want to come in to the office in shorts and a tee and the company does not say or repremand them well, what can you do about it? Whether it's not in everones taste that something else!!!:eek:

lpokijuhyt
13th May 2009, 12:58
Springbok, is your post some lame attempt at satire or god forbid you are serious.

PA-28-180
13th May 2009, 13:37
Have a feeling he's serious. I teach English to Koreans, some pilots, and am a pilot myself. THEY tell me that the 'foreigners' in their country recently are 'not high quality'....end quote! The old saying seems to apply....when in Rome.....:ok:

Diabolo
13th May 2009, 15:10
pay peanuts get monkey's !

PA-28-180
13th May 2009, 15:42
Perhaps correct Diabolo....HOWEVER, when you go to another country, YOU are a GUEST there! I would suggest if people act that way, the problem(s) wouldn't be such a big deal. I have lived/worked all over SE Asia, and have never had a problem when I follow that simple advice....

Brian Fantana
13th May 2009, 16:53
"sneak into KAL with dodgy licences, ratings and cooked books full of fictitious flying hours"

Some strong accusations!

bia botal
14th May 2009, 13:57
pay peanuts get monkey's !

http://http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/361488-korean-air-intercepted-german-fighters.html?highlight=korean+intercepted[/URL]

Mercenary Pilot
14th May 2009, 14:52
Is this the same KAL who are constantly recruiting and funnily enough, are also asking pilots to self fund type ratings? :rolleyes:

Maybe KAL are getting what they pay for. :ok:

400drvr
14th May 2009, 15:04
You are expected to wear a uniform on duty. Off duty on company property business casual is the dress code.

Pretty simple concept to get your head around I think.

:ugh:

Sir Donald
14th May 2009, 18:03
Vref+10.....to 44''god...i bet you are fun to fly with................

should pilots all wear goggles,go to private school and talk about nothing except the different ways to say FL100?

those days are over....right or wrong. welcome to the real world . ''

Sorry Vref but your post is not constructive or informative.Can I ask,GenY are you?To what ''real world'' are you actually referring to?
What you remind me of is unfortunatelly a growing trend. I turn up for a flight 10 mins before report time,F/O's on avaerage turn up 10 min late,on their phone and dont even bother to or even make an effort to find their crew member for the day.No appology or anything, attire just slept in and when asked what sectors etc he'd prefer the replies usually are''whatever you dont wan't ''. Then resorts to reading the newspaper.No skin of me but said F/O was upset why he failed his upgrade and compalined how stringent the process was.For eg he was asked about what document he would consult if there was part X missing/inop?Reply''I dont know''. Commands are earned not a god given right, but unfortunately these souls or Gen Y's are of a different understanding.
So i hear you springbok.It not just at KAL its an industry wide epidemic.

Vref+10.....to 44
15th May 2009, 18:30
....think i missed the point?....and you rant on about late fo's,command upgrades, and reading newspapers in flight....

...what i was saying ....albeit in a tongue in cheek way was...it should/does not matter what you look like (within reason),how you talk, what school you went to,what you interests are.....even if you don't have a handlebar moustache.

...what matters is your performance in the AIRCRAFT. Skills,CRM,the lot....this CANNOT be obtained by looking at a persons fashions skills, or lack of them.

....this IS the world we live in.....and should live in.

no failed upgrades here....thanks...just making a point.

parabellum
16th May 2009, 11:25
I think the point Ace is making is that, despite company regulations to the contrary, pilots are still turning up on company premises in defiance of those regulations, that must surely make one wonder just what material these people are made of? Nothing to do with history or goggles and leather flying jackets or the way one speaks, just all about attitude to authority, an authority the pilots were willing to accept when they signed their contracts.

13th Stage You are so wrong,

yanks are particular with clothing but in Europe we aren't

Yes, in Europe most of us are, (and in Australia, when it comes to work and the work place), it is the younger element that continually wants to buck convention that piss a whole lot of people off who have spent their working life maintaining acceptable standards. Tomorrow you will whinge about the general public having lost all respect for our profession and still expect to be taken seriously turning up in the office wearing your beach clothes. There is a time and a place for everything, all you have to do is get the order right.

B737NG
17th May 2009, 20:04
Somebody out there who is able to share some facts to the rumour ??

Fly safe and land happy

NG

FCS Explorer
17th May 2009, 21:37
what rumour, anyway?
just one guy whining
whole thread totally useless.

booskins
17th May 2009, 22:01
Basil I think you are a complete ********. It is not Gdai it is Gday. Grow up. Yullallrightthen

400drvr
23rd May 2009, 04:41
Well said!

slowto280
23rd May 2009, 09:08
must be freighter pilots!!!! (either that, or Yanks!!!) Simply refer them to the company policy, several times if necessary. Oh, and by the way, the 'freighter' and 'Yanks' reference was my attempt at humour, even though unfortunately, I am sure many here believe that to be the case.... :rolleyes: