PDA

View Full Version : Heads up, new series "Helicopter Warfare" Channel 5 8PM tonight

NutLoose
12th May 2009, 16:36
First one covers the Falklands war......thought I would let you know :)

MPSM
12th May 2009, 18:12
Nice one! Thats gone a series link :ok:

green granite
12th May 2009, 19:26
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

penny pincher
12th May 2009, 20:24
Just watched the programme..Jeeezuz Kristos!!!
To all you old farts. Sirs I Salute you.
Great Story well told, and Humphrey sounds like a real larf.:D
And I promise to listen more closely to CRM lessons from now on, well done TEAM.

Guzlin Adnams
12th May 2009, 20:28
:D To all concerned, take a well deserved bow.

green granite
12th May 2009, 20:37
The story and the shear guts/determination was beyond the normal persons wildest imagination, and indeed as penny pincher said 'I salute you'. I just didn't like the programme's presentation style.

Spam_UK
12th May 2009, 21:21
Is there a catch up anywhere?

ninja-lewis
12th May 2009, 21:41
Five have a catch up service but they don't say whether it will appear.

Demand Five | watch television on demand - Channel 5 TV (http://demand.five.tv/Home.aspx)

Otherwise, it'll probably appear on the torrent sites.

Spam_UK
12th May 2009, 21:44
Cheers Ninja!

Senior Pilot
12th May 2009, 21:52
The first episode is now available online, Demand Five. (http://demand.five.tv/Episode.aspx?episodeBaseName=C5140710001)

UK viewing only, according to Five :(

nicolai
12th May 2009, 22:05
Also being broadcast again on Sunday at 12:00 BST (http://www.mydigiguide.com/dgx/wbl.dll?a=2&h=49&dt=4a108978&ch=5)

Hueymeister
12th May 2009, 22:09
Saw it and thought it portrayed the way I remember Naval Aviation just gets on with the job regardless...nice one.:D BZ all round

Low Ball
13th May 2009, 12:31
A good programme and respect to the crew of Humphrey. Also to the passengers who had already survived 2 helo crashes. Some B***s but probably little choice at the time. MAUM exceeded by a ton (or was that tonne) still a lot and the aircraft soldiered on. The deferred defects page of the F700 ought to have made good reading.

Does anyone know what actions the other programmes will cover.

LB

H1HU
13th May 2009, 13:36
'Helicopter Warfare' features daring helicopter missions and extraordinary personal bravery in treacherous environments.

Found this elsewhere

The series highlights the most daring helicopter rescue of the Vietnam War, where an unarmed helicopter used its rotary blades to cut down the jungle's 40-foot-tall bamboo and create a landing space to rescue 100 troops under-fire.

The series also features a courageous helicopter rescue during the Falklands War, which saved the lives of SAS members when their mission backfired due to a ferocious snow-storm.

There is also a helicopter rescue mission in the high altitude and dusty conditions of Afghanistan to find the lone survivor of a US Navy Seal team and a young Navy pilot who fights an enemy tank in the deserts of Iraq.

Hope that helps.

H1HU

barnstormer1968
13th May 2009, 15:01
Hi.
Do you know if the rescue attempt you mention regarding the navy seal refers to operation anaconda?

I have a video of operation anaconda called "The battle for Roberts ridge".
It is a compelling story to watch unfold, and as with many other operations, seems to suffer as a result of a series of errors in planning and luck.

minigundiplomat
13th May 2009, 19:41
Overflew Roberts Ridge about a week or two after the incident, and saw the wreck of Razor 01(?), feeling ecstatic about my late arrival.

H1HU
13th May 2009, 21:03
Barnstormer,

I have no more details than those I have mentioned I'm afraid. Only caught the second half of the programme but what I saw was fascinating. Was with a Falklands heli pilot at the weekend.

H1HU

Rigga
13th May 2009, 22:37
HIHU,
You have a PM.

Rigga

H1HU
14th May 2009, 09:20
Rigga you have a pm.

H1HU

barnstormer1968
14th May 2009, 10:34
Thank you for your reply. I suspected that may be the case, but really enjoyed (if that is the right word to use) the first programme, and as I find it hard to actually get time to watch any TV at the scheduled time, just wanted to glean any extra info possible.

minigundiplomat
I am sure the site at Roberts Ridge had a fair bit of impact for you. I have to admit that I even felt like ducking down* as I watched the video reconstruction:eek:

*Ducking down, at the enormous senses of incoming accurate fire!

Wiley
15th May 2009, 05:19
Is it likely the series will somehow magically turn up on YouTube or somewhere similar so those outside the UK might get to see it?

airborne_artist
15th May 2009, 08:34
Wiley download and install Utorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/), and then download the torrent (http://tracker.btarena.org/torrents-details.php?id=18928) of the programme. For future episodes, just Google "Torrent Helicopter Warfare" and select the correct episode number.

6Z3
15th May 2009, 09:37
Privileged to have known all the aircrew involved. Not sure if the programme made clear that two junglie squadron Wessex Vs were twin-engined versions and very well powered for their role, whereas the single engined Wessex 3 which carried a shedload of extra hardware makes it much less suitable for handling the flying conditions they were in (apart from having the doppler, and a well-knit crew to share the burden). Also, the junglie role training takes them into this very scenario - notably their Clockwork winter training in Norway. Ian Stanley and his team will not have experienced this scenario in the normal course of their job. Ian was awarded the DSO, not sure what the other aircrew received.

A thoroughly good watch. I thought the team came across very well.

PS. Looks like visuals of the SK sim at Culdrose has had quite an update inthe last few years.

Spurlash2
15th May 2009, 14:17
Knew the crewman (JL) in one of the Wx 5's who told me that only one person was injured. The only snag was, he was injured twice. Once in the first Wx and then again in the second, when he was struck (on impact) with an ammo box.

Full dit Falkland Islands - A history of the 1982 conflict (http://www.raf.mod.uk/falklands/sg1.html)

Senior Pilot
19th May 2009, 18:53
Heads up for tonight's episode :ok:

MightyGem
19th May 2009, 20:11
How on earth did they manage it??? Utterly amazing.

Pure Pursuit
19th May 2009, 20:16
http://demand.five.tv/Series.aspx?seriesBaseName=HelicopterWarfare

for those who missed it & may ant to watch it on demand.

NutLoose
19th May 2009, 22:16
It really is developing into a superb series, noted on 5 it is series 1 episode 2 which infers another series may being produced after this one is finished.

That took some serious b*lls to do that rescue and as for the Viet soldier, when you find you are in a defence perimeter on your own, surrounded and watching your ride departing it must be a tad worrying :\

Looking fwd to the next one and for those that missed it do not forget as well as online it repeats on Sunday AM on the box.

Wiley
20th May 2009, 07:08
We many interested parties who don't reside in the UK (and who therefore can't gain access to Demand 5) would love some kind soul to YouTube the series. (Unsubtle hint, hint!)

Tourist
3rd Jun 2009, 11:38
Nice one on 847 last night.
I didn't realise that a DFC entitled you to extra rations Scooby.......... ;)

NutLoose
3rd Jun 2009, 18:25
Two are online now, see links here

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/373709-uk-five-tv-tuesday-night-helicopter-warfare-2.html

minigundiplomat
3rd Jun 2009, 18:54
Not to detract from the great work 847 did during Telic ( I recently worked with them elsewhere and found them a very agreeable bunch), the style of the show is a bit sensationalist.

'They could have crashed before they even left the ground' - In a deep melodramatic tone, before explaining how a helicopter departs a dust cloud (pretty much an everyday occurence)

Followed by the bigging up of the massive threat from IFF misident and Yank search radars.

They did a great job, worthy of such a documentary but I think C5 were almost in danger of overegging the pud.

tucumseh
3rd Jun 2009, 20:25
Followed by the bigging up of the massive threat from IFF misident and Yank search radars.

Not sure you can criticise this aspect when that very week (23rd March 2003) a Patriot Battery shot down a Tornado. The crews would surely have been aware of this?

As the BoI recommended - IFF failure warnings should be integrated.

(And as CDP said 4 years earlier when warned of this precise risk - No they shouldn't).

MightyGem
3rd Jun 2009, 21:44
Never realised that T55s fired airburst rounds. :eek:

minigundiplomat
3rd Jun 2009, 22:07
Not sure you can criticise this aspect when that very week (23rd March 2003) a Patriot Battery shot down a Tornado. The crews would surely have been aware of this?

As the BoI recommended - IFF failure warnings should be integrated.

(And as CDP said 4 years earlier when warned of this precise risk - No they shouldn't).

Agreed, but 1 incident in how many thousand air missions? It is 1 too many but a risk faced by everyone flying in theatre and the emphasis detracted from what was an otherwise excellent sequence of events.

We are in agreement, I just think their was too much emphasis on certain factors, when the story stands up perfectly well without such emphasis.

Chugalug2
4th Jun 2009, 07:09
Excellent series and required viewing alone for those, like me, who are ignorant of all aspects of helo operation. So while making allowance for the "shock horror probe" delivery, I appreciate the spelling out of the problems involved in what to MGD is "pretty much an everyday occurrence".
As to:

1 incident in how many thousand air missions?

The "incident" in question cost two men's lives and a Tornado aircraft. I suppose the RAF could look at every such accident and treat them all as just:

1 incident in how many thousand air missions?

Oh wait, of course, that is what they do isn't it? A separate MAA and MAAIB ASAP please.

tucumseh
4th Jun 2009, 07:30
Agreed, but 1 incident in how many thousand air missions?

The point is that this was not entirely a "fog of war" accident, given the BoI recommendation was simply repeating one made many times to 2 Star level and above, in the previous years. I can give precise dates and letter references of both these recommendations and rejections.

Before the aircraft or system enters service the regulations require you to ensure it is physically and functionally safe. If the IFF failure warnings are not integrated (i.e. not presented to the aircrew, either visually or aurally) then the system is not functionally safe. Unwittingly, the crew had less chance of surviving such an event.

Good series of programmes though.

anotherthing
4th Jun 2009, 07:56
...but I think C5 were almost in danger of overegging the pud...
Looks like Scooby has been eating them all... :}

andyy
4th Jun 2009, 08:20
At least he admitted how he got his nick name. He came across very well, I thought, although I am not sure how easy it is for T55 to engage an air target with its main gun; I would have like the "Tank expert" to have explained that.

not_so_sis
4th Jun 2009, 11:43
does the gunner fall out if you do a barrel roll with the doors open? that's all I could think about.

Chugalug2
5th Jun 2009, 10:04
does the gunner fall out if you do a barrel roll with the doors open?
Well that of course would be the prime indicator of whether or not you had properly performed the barrel roll. Useful idea for Final Handling Tests?