PDA

View Full Version : Dual Hire in Queenstown, NZ area - Help???

ckaine
11th May 2009, 23:59
Hi all

I am travelling to NZ at the end of the week and am hoping to dual hire an aircraft for a couple of hours to travel to the Milford Sound and back. I'd also like to do the cruise while we are there if possible.

I am hoping someone might be able to let me know what options I might have in relation to dual hire in this area, I'd be ok with travelling an hour or so out of Queenstown by road if need be.

It might work out cheaper to just book a scenic flight, if so, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I do not hold a NZ licence so would certainly need to be dual hire.

Many thanks
Chris

RadioSaigon
12th May 2009, 00:10
...am hoping to dual hire an aircraft for a couple of hours...

To include the cruise and return flights you'll need to allow a minimum of 4 hours. Expect to spend ~1.5hours airborne. It's unlikely you'll be charged much (if anything) for the time spent on the ground in NZMF. Your only option in the NZQN area to do this is the Wakatipu Aero Club (http://wakatipuaeroclub.com). Over the hill (about an hour by road) in NZWF, Aspiring Air (http://www.aspiringair.com/) may be able to assist. Your time will definitely be dual, so expect to pay the going rate for the aircraft plus instructor.

...It might work out cheaper to just book a scenic flight...

It almost certainly will. There are more options than you can poke a stick at, as you will see when you get there. Both of the operators mentioned also offer the required scenic flights over exactly the same route.

Have fun!

b_sta
12th May 2009, 00:26
To include the cruise and return flights you'll need to allow a minimum of 4 hours. Expect to spend ~1.5hours airborne.

Just wondering where that extra 2.5 hours comes from? I've got a booking with Wakatipu for the end of June for the same thing.

RadioSaigon
12th May 2009, 01:37
Just wondering where that extra 2.5 hours comes from?

On the ground at NZMF, including the boat cruise/lunch which will involve ~2.0 hours.