PDA

View Full Version : High Standards

Cave Troll
11th May 2009, 08:31
With regards to the general standards of aviation, particularly here in Africa, it seems to me that the standards are no longer as high as they were or as high as other parts of the world. Now this may just be my impression as it is now right in my face here in darkesr Africa and I cannot hide behind a first world operation. It just seems to me that people just do not have the pride in their work that they should. This includes everyone from the engineers on the ground to the Captains of the aircraft and the company managment. My guess is that it starts with the training guys who possibly do not instill good habits and/or do not follow through with enforcing these good habits.

The fact is we in aviation are suppsed to be professionals in our particular field and we should have enough disapline to see that our jobs are done correctly. As a PIC I find myself continually having to baby these so called professionals to get the job done. This slack attitude is already showing it's ugly head. You just need to look at the TAC 737 the other day and then before that the Bae146 at Port Gentil. I will almost guarentee that somewhere along those chains of events that you will find someone, or several people, that were slack. I am not picking on these crashes particularly, they are just recent examples. There just seems to be allot more incidents that could easily have been avoided with just a bit of effort on the part of a few people.

ct

zerothree
11th May 2009, 20:28
Sorry, but you have "troll" as part of your name, and despite not necessarily disgreeing with all you said, I cannot also help but feel that regarding such poor disapline here in darkesr Africa, the managment cannot be held entirely responsible. Sure, we are all suppsed to be professionals, but I guarentee that any sort of lack of attention to detail will eventually surface in slackness in terms of safe and accurate flying, if you get my drift. Maybe some more pride in your work is required, in order not to be baby'd yourself. Allot, in fact...

Lamyna Flo
12th May 2009, 08:51
but I guarentee (sic) that any sort of lack of attention to detail will eventually surface in slackness in terms of safe and accurate flying

What, you mean it hasn't already?

zerothree
12th May 2009, 09:42
Lamyna Flo, read both the original post and mine veeeerrry carefully. I think you may have missed the irony somewhat. Maybe it'd be clearer if I had inserted a few "(sic)'s" of my own. ;)

Lamyna Flo
12th May 2009, 12:54
Sorry zerothree, must have been distracted by the atrocious spelling in your post (no offence intended) ;)

Didn't pick up on any irony at all. Came across as a simple, factual statement TBH.

shutupanfly
12th May 2009, 17:29
My guess is that it starts with the training guys who possibly do not instill good habits and/or do not follow through with enforcing these good habits.

Nope, your way wrong on that one, well, were I am anyway.
It does get a tad tiring being worn down day in and day out by management that constantly erode your "cast-in-stone" contract, no salary increase, no bonus, increased flying time, less lay-over time, yet we are still required to operate as professionally as always. And we do, its just that our "attitude" changes..................plenty.

I'll try be more pleasant next time we fly together.....................

shutupanfly
14th May 2009, 02:41
then he was scared when we heard gun shots

And you werent? You brave soldier you.I know a few very professional pilots who operate to very high standards who would have been sh1t scared too, whats your point on that one?

Human Cargo
14th May 2009, 06:45
As i sit on the wire, and watch the daily izzims & schisms of this "Professional Aviation" network. every now and again someone comes along and make an objective opinion or comment that has a great ring of truth to it. Though we are not obliged to agree,we are obliged to be respectful. However over within a short while this poor guy's statement get's cut down into a sarcastic attack, with of no merit. by people who always show their true nature very quickly with the tone of their attacks.
If we want respect we need to give it!! Even if we disagree.If we want to be considered as professionals then we need to act professional regardless of where we are or the paint job that covers the metal tube we push through the sky. The name of this network starts with Professional Pilot. We all need to bare that in mind when we enter your password.
Cave troll. Youre right on the mark.Dont be discouraged! the truth always rises to the top.
Cheers
HC:ugh:

Der absolute Hammer
14th May 2009, 08:14
My goodness......
Cave Troll is absolutely correct I think. But then only look at the difference in the quality of the professional aviantion related posts on Prrune now as comparisoned with those of three years ago and you can see that the standards have gone right down.
But I am not sure that it is all the fault of the instructor guild. Slack and possibly corrupt CAAs have played a part in the game as has the selection of individuals for commands and positions, based on the ethnic origin and sex (there was something about sex with a woman who worked for the SA/CAA?)rather than merit and dedication. But also one important thing I think is that in these days, so few pilots expect to reach their left hand jet seat by a calm and logical progression but must run at the top like a deranged wildebeeste and so you arrive at the sort of situation where there is a 737 perhaps with a new Captain with small hours total and a First Officer thing with no time at all worth a lead Zeppelin.They may in the end have quite a lot of hours on their 737 but they will never have been, as you say, around the block a time or two.