PDA

View Full Version : Nomad Air Quality

flying-spike
11th May 2009, 00:18
I know the mods may move this but I would be appreciative if this gets coverage here first. I would be interested if there is anybody else that has had problems after being exposed to Nomad cabin air after the aircraft has dropped reduction gearbox oil out the exhaust. The aircraft was prone to doing this in the early days and given the current publicity about problems in other aircraft it may be worth looking into further.

empacher48
11th May 2009, 00:42
It would be interesting to see.. Mind you I only flew the Nomad for a year or two over the last few years. Even with the supposed fix to dropping the oil out, they still do it when they've been sitting too long!

I always wondered what sort of harm the fumes would be doing to me when the cabin filled up with them!

EchoNovemberTango
11th May 2009, 00:50
Watching channel 7 have we?

Tis an issue thats been around for a long time... Almost anyone that had flown the 146 (prior to 2000, unsure if things are any different these days) probably has been exposed....

Capt Claret
11th May 2009, 05:34
Yer pretty safe in a Nomad. Its ACMs (Air Cycle Machines) are of the non-existent variety, which prevents contaminated bleed air being pumped into the cabin.

Smart designers at the GAF to foresee such a problem.

EchoNovemberTango,

As best I recall the problem with the 146 air quality was eventually traced to #1 bearing seal, which despite many re-designs, kept failing to properly seal.

In the late 90's a method of designing a seal then testing it on a test bed, as opposed to in an in-service engine, was developed. Unlike other seals before it, this one was successful in eliminating/reducing the ingress of fumes.

tinpis
11th May 2009, 05:54
Flew Nomads for 3 years and it never affected me at all..never affected me at all..never affected me at all..never affected me at all..never affected me at all..never affected me at all..never affected me at all..

ernestkgann
11th May 2009, 06:53
I flew them for three or four years and remember a few times when they dropped oil all over the shop that was always distributed throughout the cabin when you opened an engine bleed to get some heat.
I ended up with sarcoidosis, I wonder if it's connected?

empacher48
11th May 2009, 06:55
Thanks tinpis I guess I have something to look forward to..:}

Stationair8
11th May 2009, 07:50
Depends on whether the PIC has had a curry the night before or egg sandwiches for lunch!