PDA

View Full Version : Ba offers voluntary redundancy

SMOC
10th May 2009, 13:11
http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/373427-ba-pilot-voluntary-redundancy.html

Looks like it was offered to 500 of the most expensive pilots, what will they do without all that experience? :ugh:

Rainboe
10th May 2009, 13:22
BA has a 'top heavy' experience gradient- many long servers. Those are the people the airline wants to get rid of! There is no shortage of experience in BA.

iflylow
11th May 2009, 03:04
Why is Cathay extending the most expensive pilots? It seems backwards to me, and apparently other airlines as well.

Union: Delta wants to cut pilot jobs

Delta pilots union says management wants to cut unspecified number of pilot jobs

Harry R. Weber, Associated Press Writer
On Friday May 8, 2009, 9http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/smilies/redface.gif9 pm EDTATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc., the world's biggest airline operator, wants to cut an unspecified number of pilot jobs through a program that would give pilots an incentive to retire, according to a memo issued by the pilots union Friday.
Lee Moak, chairman of the pilots union's executive committee, said the pilot retirement incentive program would be "designed to address what management perceives to be a current pilot staffing overage."
Under the terms of the proposal, active pilots who have met certain age and length-of-service metrics would be eligible to participate in the program, Moak said. Participating pilots would receive a severance payment, medical and dental benefits for a limited period of time and retiree travel benefits, he said.
Moak did not provide other details of the program, nor did he say how many pilot jobs Atlanta-based Delta hoped to cut. He said union officials would negotiate with Delta management with the goal of reaching a tentative agreement.
"If an agreement is reached and ratified, the decision to participate would belong to eligible pilots," Moak said.
Airlines have been struggling to fill their seats amid the deep economic downturn in the U.S. and other countries.
Delta said in a statement that it "continues to take every step possible to avoid involuntary reductions of frontline employees as a result of current economic conditions."
The airline has cut nonunion staff through voluntary severance programs. It said that in addition to those programs previously offered, it is working cooperatively with the Air Line Pilots Association "to ensure we have any flexibility needed as we adjust capacity to demand."
Delta acquired Northwest Airlines last October and together, the two carriers have more than 12,000 pilots.
The two groups of pilots have already resolved seniority list integration and have agreed to a joint contract.

Apple Tree Yard
11th May 2009, 03:46
offer me a 'proper' severance package and i'd take it in a second (...no, a nano-second). Of course, that would require CX to actually spend money...so....65, here I come...! :ok:

boocs
11th May 2009, 03:48
"The two groups of pilots have already resolved seniority list integration "

Does anyone in the know have information on how they 'resolved' seniority? I would be very interested to hear of this issue with these 2 pilot groups.
b.

Freehills
11th May 2009, 04:24
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/major/

has plenty of discussion on the topic! (both DL/NW merge, and the early retirement offer)

Apple Tree Yard
11th May 2009, 04:53
Get the book, 'Who Moved my Cheese'. It is a great book that points out how people tend to focus on the changing facts of their enviornment, usually in the negative sense, and miss the most important lesson. That lesson is you are better to develop other ways to generate income, and free yourself from the slavery of your job. Remember, there are limitless ways to make money...but only one way to make money flying for CX. Accept that this is a crap airline offering a crap career, and start to broaden your horizons. There is much more happiness and freedom out there if you slowly reduce the CX factor (eventually to 0 hopefully!). Get out there and make other things happen!! :ok:

QFinsider
11th May 2009, 08:06
Be great if the genius at AIPA considered this as an alternative approach to destroying the livelihoods of many of the younger members at Qantas. Many of these pilots have not been sitting in the saddle for 30 years and in most instances will be of far more value for the next 30 years, than the following two....

Then again that would require representing the interests of all members...:E