PDA

View Full Version : Flight Attendants in the USA

interested123
10th May 2009, 10:27
On a recent trip to New York with Continental I spoke with a flight attendant who spoke of 16 hour days for domestic crew, low pay and little flexibility. Is this true?

Can somebody give me an example of a roster or general conditions for flight attendants in the USA?

Emma Gemma
10th May 2009, 11:11
I know that they have had to agree to deterioration in their agreements such as longer working days, shorter layovers and pay cuts. I thought scheduled duty per day were 12 hours but could be extended to 14 hours maximum. Perhaps they are rostered to work but due to delays and such it could sometimes be 16 hours?

Most airlines in the US don't pay for training, like some airlines, and crew also have to relocate to another base at their own expense. Seniority is another important part over there and most crew are usually on standby for their first year(s) but most airlines guarantee that they get to work a certain of hours per month.

I can't really comment on the salary but most of them have an hourly pay, which starts on chocks off.

BlueTui
10th May 2009, 11:40
And here's me thinking we've got it bad over here!

IFLy4Free
10th May 2009, 13:32
Standby at some US airlines is over 10 years seniority. The limit on duty days all depends on if the trip is international or domestic. Starting pay is not great, and some benefits have been cut. However, many of the airlines have unlimited free or very low service charges for staff travel. There are jumpseat agreements where a flight attendant from one airline can jumpseat on another airline for free or again a low service charge. You can jumpseat on your own airline for free. You are given the extra jumpset or if no jumpseat you are given a passenger seat.

Some airlines do pay for training but generally around $200 per week. Training can last anywhere from 10 days to 6 week but never longer. There is no shortened training for experienced crew, everyone starts from the beginning even if you have 20 years experience.

Flight attendants pay for their uniforms through payroll deduction.

Some airlines have no division between international, domestic, short haul or long haul crew. You generally fly it all. Monthly bids come out and you bid for what you want, all bidding is by seniority.

IFLy4Free
10th May 2009, 13:37
One more thing...the pay is generally a guarantee a certain number of hours per month. An example woulb be you are guaranteed 75 hours per month at $20 per hour. If you are on reserve and only are called for and fly 30 hours you still get the 75 hours. If you fly over 75 hours your get an hourly rate.

Starting pay can be anywhere from $15 per hour based on 75 hours to $25 per hour based on 80 hours. All airlines are different. Non union airlines are regulated a wee bit more on their hours but generally 100 hours per month is the maximum one can fly. Some airlines are salaried and that can be from 25k to 35 k per year.

Corporate flight attendants here make between $400 to $600 per day. And those that fly on a plane owned by a celebrity can earn upwards of 85k per year.

interested123
11th May 2009, 10:01
WOW that is harsh!

And with regards to the difference in pay between private flight attendants and those that work for an airline, it's all or nothing.

Why do people work as flight attendants for US carriers?