PDA

View Full Version : DG & P?

The Voice
9th May 2009, 21:31
Hey Mod's .. what's with the name change? DG & P

Sign of the times - need to do more with less?

Goodness me .. as long as there isn't a repeat of when the kiwis' went silly and tried to tell us their bit of the world was better than ours last time the forums were re-jigged!

Skystar320
10th May 2009, 00:26
P = Pacific

compressor stall
10th May 2009, 00:42
Now Voice, you have been here long enough to remember the ruckus when D&G was separated from R&N and got its own forum.

IIRC the last straw was when the poms got sick of the Dick Smith threads in R&N!

Sadly lost in the great server crash of ~2000...

CS

Chimbu chuckles
10th May 2009, 03:23
D&G and Perth?

:E

tail wheel
10th May 2009, 03:42
There was a request for a Fiji Forum which was never going to get up - too little traffic potential.

So I asked PPRuNe Admin for our forum to include the Pacific, which is more in line with PPRuNe policy for regional, rather than specific country forums.

We now include Australia, New Zealand, PNG, Solomons, Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga etc

Makes more sense as we often have threads from those countries anyhow.

ReverseFlight
10th May 2009, 06:34
... more in line with PPRuNe policy for regional, rather than specific country forums.

... except Fragrant Harbour, a flagrant exception to the rules ?

Seems to have a life of its own.:D

tail wheel
10th May 2009, 07:28
Who knows? Not my responsibility.

troppo
10th May 2009, 07:34
You should get SP, CUB or Fosters Pacific to sponsor it, after all we're drinking their beer here.

The Voice
10th May 2009, 10:00
ah yes Stallie, how could anyone forget that!

Tailie - I knew there'd be a logical explanation .. how funny, didn't DG cop the biggest number of hits/day in the forums, so it stands to reason they'll just get even bigger?!! (and uglier barneys' to sort out?)

apache
10th May 2009, 10:52
DG&P Reporting Points Airline and RPT issues in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

i rest my case

Wod
10th May 2009, 11:21
My life is changed forever.

Or possibly not.:}

Howabout
10th May 2009, 11:23
Good point ReverseFlight, and I agree that there appears to be some level of inconsistecy. However, if there are aviators out there who want to contribute and, maybe, need a voice, are we really churlish enough to deny them the opportunity? After all, if someone posts, and no one's interested, the thread dies. For the life of me, I cannot see what difference it makes.

There's a few of our comrades plying their trade in the SWP. The region is close, but not big enough to command a a dedicated section. Maybe they've got stuff to say, and maybe we'd be interested.

I'm happy to give it a go. After all, we've had heaps on PNG - and nobody said that that didn't belong on D&G. It added to the site - still does.

the rim
10th May 2009, 12:04
love reading about PNG its well versed and sometimes very funny keep them in

Taildragger67
10th May 2009, 12:38
Chimbu,

D&G and Perth?

How about D&G and Penrith...

Hat, coat, etc...

compressor stall
10th May 2009, 12:41
Hey mods, this ain't fair - What about me? I want in as well. How about D,G,P & A. :cool:

The Voice
10th May 2009, 19:37
Funnily enough don't ever hear too much from down there Stalled One .. unless you're updating your FB page!

tail wheel
10th May 2009, 21:02
I can't find the statistics now but I seem to recall D, G & P Forums accounts for around 12% of this site traffic which I think translates to around 100,000 page "hits" per day.

Tail Wheel
Australia, including Tasmania, Antarctica, Christmas & Cocos Islands; New Zealand, including North & South Islands; Papua New Guinea; Solomons; Vanuatu; Fiji; Tonga; Wallis & Futuna; Tokelau; Tuvalu; New Calendonia; Niue; Samoa (both sides); Pitcairn; Easter Island; Cook Islands; all the bits in between and ships at sea and aircraft airborne in the south west Pacific Forum.

:}

Jabawocky
10th May 2009, 21:31
Tail Wheel
Australia, including Tasmania, Antarctica, Christmas & Cocos Islands; New Zealand, including North & South Islands; Papua New Guinea; Solomons; Vanuatu; Fiji; Tonga; Wallis & Futuna; Tokelau; Tuvalu; New Calendonia; Niue; Samoa (both sides); Pitcairn; Easter Island; Cook Islands; all the bits in between and ships at sea and aircraft airborne in the south west Pacific Forum.

Now Everyone is happy! Who says you can't please everyone! :}

empacher48
10th May 2009, 21:55
New Zealand, including North & South Islands

Now Everyone is happy! Who says you can't please everyone!

What about Stewart Island? :}

Borneo Wild Man
10th May 2009, 23:56
Tahiti and the Society Islands?
P , may give the Hawaiians and identity crisis,
and what about the Chathams(NZ) they have their own airline.

blueloo
11th May 2009, 00:32
I can't find the statistics now but I seem to recall D, G & P Forums accounts for around 12% of this site traffic which I think translates to around 100,000 page "hits" per day.

We could always start our own "121.5 Guard police" thread like the Pommies have in Rumours and News and we could bicker endlessly - that would surely boost our traffic up to 60% and we could take over the entire forum ...... mwhah haha hah :}

Disco Stu
11th May 2009, 02:33
I am eagerly awaiting the spirited and indepth discussion from our compatriots on the Galapagos Island.

That should liven up things around here and no doubt incur the petty wrath of the dunny king

:E:E
Disco Stu:ok:

Howard Hughes
11th May 2009, 02:40
How about D&G and Penrith...
Preston?:E

Animalclub
11th May 2009, 05:56
Yer forgot Kiribati

ReverseFlight
11th May 2009, 08:44
To add to tail wheel's list, the portion of Antartica directly below Oz.

The More the Merrier !:ok:

TwoTango
11th May 2009, 08:46
Australia, including Tasmania, Antarctica, Christmas & Cocos Islands

Since when was Antarctica part of Australia?

TT

compressor stall
11th May 2009, 11:21
Tango Two
Since the Antarctic Treaty was agreed to (1959) by all nations with vested interests in Antarctica. A summary can be read here (http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=78).

Australia lays claim to 42% of the icy continent, far more than anyone else. Sir Douglas Mawson championed long and hard for this territory to be ours.

Now one for the history buffs, who flew the first powered aircraft in Antarctica? He was an Australian and it was was not Mawson. This aviator some years later (1939) was leader of an American financed expedition that was surveying the Antarctic coastline under the Indian Ocean - in an area Mawson had earmarked as ours.

Despite specific instuctions from the USA that he should claim the territory for the United States, this Australian expedition leader and his 2IC (a Canadian IIRC) went ashore (alone, leaving the yanks on the boat) and claimed the territory for King and Commonwealth!

I am one of the fortunate few who have visited this site and held the very flag and signed proclamation in my hand. They remain where they were left, 70 years ago in the same biscuit tin, under the same rock. A very humbling experience.

Art Vanderlay
12th May 2009, 20:59
That would be the great Sir Hubert Wilkins. Even though those of us who have visited his birthplace could be forgiven to believe that it was someone else altogether. That's right - after sponsoring the restoration of this humble little dwelling in the Mid-North of SA, this other fearless birdman had his OWN name engraved with huge letters about a hundred times all over the place, so that any visiting Japanese tourists would leave the place with the distinct impression that the answer to Stallie's little riddle was ...........(this is a new riddle, and you don't even need to visit Sir Hubert's birth place to have a crack at figuring THIS one out).

Taildragger67
17th May 2009, 06:40
Tail Wheel,

What about Heard, Macdonald, Norfolk and Lord Howe islands? And what about the Chathams? :=

Red Jet
17th May 2009, 07:17
Taildragger 67
You say:
"Tail Wheel,

What about Heard, Macdonald... "

Should that be Macquarie Island (commonly known as Macca's) , or is there another one out there we should know about:confused:

And surely Norfolk, Lord Howe and Chathams are covered by the big "P"!!

Wideglider
17th May 2009, 07:50
Mate! Great Barrier Island, NZ. Even has its own Airline "Great Barrier Airlines":ok:

Disco Stu
17th May 2009, 09:31
Wideglider, a number of Pacific Islands have their own airline, even NZ, it has 'paperclip airlines'.

:EDisco Stu:E

Wideglider
18th May 2009, 04:02
Hey there "dancing boy"!

I think you should change your name to "Disco Stirrer":}

Still you raise a good point, Kiwi's can fly anything!
They were the first to ever take to the air! Forget the Wright brothers! And I would not be surprised to find a paper clip somewhere in that aircraft!

Stu, this stirrings fun!:ok: I see why you do it:E

Must go now to build a fort to ward off the attacks that will no doubt be forthcoming:E:E:E

Cheers Wide1.

tail wheel
18th May 2009, 06:00
Wideglider is correct.

New Zealander Richard Pearce (1877 - 1953) built and flew the first powered heavier-than-air machine on 31 March 1903, some nine months before the Wright brothers.

Bruny Island, Boigu Island and Brampton Island are also included in D, G & P forum.

Buster Hyman
18th May 2009, 06:14
Aww...I thought the P stood for Palestine.

I was waiting for some real fireworks!:E:ouch::suspect:

Borneo Wild Man
19th May 2009, 03:03
Unfortunately their is no substantial evidence to date that proves with out doubt Pearce undertook sustained CONTROLLED powered flight before the Wright Bros.(Happy if you prove me wrong)

The Wright Bros had the media and reliable witnesses in attendance.They went on to improve the Wright Flyer and built more elaborate models,even making a first in history again by killing the worlds first passenger during a military demo flight.

tail wheel
19th May 2009, 10:03
No, but there is certainly strong circumstantial evidence that Richard Pearce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pearse) was the first recorded person to sustained controlled flight in a heavier than air machine.

He went on to built what appears to be an early gyrocopter - whether that was a good thing is probably open to debate. :}

Where is 18 wheeler when I need him? :{

Groaner
20th May 2009, 03:25
So does Macquarie Island (which is part of Tasmania), but MacDonald is a different place (best described as in the middle of bugger-all) roughly equal distances from Oz, South Africa and the south pole.

Near Heard Island, if that helps. They're part of Australia, but not part of a state (and I suspect if asylum-seekers ended up there they wouldn't like it)

Good for trivial-pursuit questions:

Where are the only two active volcanoes in Australia? (Heard and MacDonald Islands)

What's the tallest Australian mountain? (One of those volcanoes - Big Ben/Mawson Peak on Heard Island)

If you're near Hobart, take a peek at the Aust Antarctic Survey HQ there - makes me shiver just to look at it...

tinpis
20th May 2009, 20:44
Many years (40+) ago I saw the remains of the Pearce "aircraft" In AK.
If it ever flew, then....then.. RD Buchanan was a kindhearted avuncular philanthropist :hmm:

tinpis
20th May 2009, 21:47
Why do men(and some women:ooh:) have to go to the Antarctic to grow beards? Would it not be cheaper to have them do it in Hobart?

compressor stall
21st May 2009, 08:07
Yes, Tinpis, but if you look very very carefully at them, you will notice that the beards are straighter than those grown in warmer climes.

Something to do with less coriolis force near the poles I think. :}

They also grow slightly faster as one's mass is slightly larger closer to the poles.

Animalclub
21st May 2009, 08:42
tinpis... Junior was very kind hearted. I've never heard of him sacking anyone (without rehiring them the next day!) he got other people to sack staff!!!