PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it for me ??

Lp467
9th May 2009, 19:03
I'm 40 years old and nearing retirement, I have always had a desire to fly but have never gotten my pilots license. I would love to be a pilot, and working at a regional would suite me just fine. How long would it take me to go from PPL to regional qualified ?? and are there even gonna be jobs available (in about 4 years). Is is (would it be) worthwhile for me at this point and is it feasible that I would get a job. Thanks

Aerouk
9th May 2009, 19:12
It's a hard question for anyone to answer because we don't know your personal circumstances, obviously being in your 40s you may have a family so starting a brand new career may have a positive or negative affect.

In terms of the flight training, it really deppends how fast you have access to the funds. When I started out (modular) I could only do a certain amount of lessons per month however some people have the money either ready or they've borrowed it.

The main issue at the moment is the recession, employment within the industry is at a low at the moment and we aren't sure how long this will last but it will pick up at some point.

Can you do it, even in yours 40s? Of course. Should you do it? Only you can decided, based on your current circumstances.

Lp467
9th May 2009, 19:22
Sorry guess I was a bit brief with my background etc- I would probably be able to fly initially about 5 hrs a month for the next year or so, then from age 41,42 would up that to 10-12 hrs and obtain further ratings (multi/commercial). By the time I retire I would hopefully have 4-500 total time. From an economic standpoint my current job will provide a comfortable enough income that I wouldnt feel a need to progress beyond a regional (although I wouldnt turn it down if offered). Also my kids are grown and my wife is a flight attendant so the odd hours would be fine with her.

L'aviateur
9th May 2009, 19:54
Recommendation is to 100% to get your PPL, take the step of walking into a flying club and spend some time meeting people. Having a PPL will put you in a better position to know where you want to be, and will also mean that your a 'pilot' and flying!

Aerouk
9th May 2009, 19:58
I would also suggest you get your PPL. Whether you plan on getting a career in aviation or not, the PPL is a fantastic thing to have.