View Full Version : Part-time working settlements

Dumbledor
9th May 2009, 17:21
I am looking for examples of pilots' part-time pay settlements, which have been made to save money or stave off forced redundancies.

Could anyone give me some practical examples of recent successful deals.

We are trying to find a way to avoid forced redundancies in our company :{

Thanks in advance

D :)

Jimmy Hoffa Rocks
9th May 2009, 18:38
We did it in our company last winter

People had the option of 25% reduction,33% or 50% over a 4 month or 3 month period.

Use your imagination thats we did to create different options

With different options like having 1 month off ( unpaid ) over a 4 month period. 25%

or working half the roster during a month,etc.

make sure at the end of the temporary period you return to same conditions

Dumbledor
10th May 2009, 10:41
Thanks a lot JHR. All those ideas could be useful to us. We can all dream up ideas but it is great to be able to quote examples of part-time working that are already in use.

Denti
10th May 2009, 17:28
You could try to contact Vereinigung Cockpit, the german pilot union. In germany everyone is entitled to get part time work by law so nearly if not all airlines have a part time scheme in place.

In my company we had 75% and 50% part time deals at all times on a monthly basis. For example a full time working pilot had 20 working days per month, a 50% part time pilot only 10.

At one time after 2001 when we had a quite big surplus of captains so the company offered volontary 75% part time in a 3 month block off at a time while you received 75% pay throughout a full year (including those three months off).

Dumbledor
12th May 2009, 10:05
Thanks Denti.

'In Germany everyone is entitled to get part-time work by law so nearly if not all airlines have a part-time scheme in place.'

That would be a good for us if that law existed in the UK, but it is an interesting moral argument to put forward. It is good to see the flexibility of part-time packages on offer. This would suit a situation where you have a temporary surplus of crew, which we have now.