PDA

View Full Version : SLOP in AFI region / SSB / Climbing/Descending on your own?

Cecco
9th May 2009, 12:19
Hello,

1.) Did some research on the Strategic Lateral Offset Procedure (I assume thatīs practiced in the whole AFI region) as it is called and besides the application (1-2 NM offset and always to the right), I was wondering when you would start applying that procedure during a flight in Africa (e.g Nairobi-Brazzaville) and when to stop it. It is a enroute hight altitude procedure so would I start going offset crossing FL245 (FIR/UIR) or even before. And would I start goint back right on track when starting the descent from e.g FL350 or again when descending through FL245 or even lower. Other people also suggested to fly a couple of hundred feet high/low of your cruising level for better protection.

2.) I picked up this phrase: "nothing has changed in Africa other than the introduction of 126.9 and SSB". 126.9 is clear but what is SSB?

3.) Someone in another thread stated that you might climb/descend on your own when being in uncontrolled airspace (F/G) when no ATC is available. Now, I have serious doubts about that....What do you think? In other words, if you are FL240, not cleared for a higher level yet, and the comms go quiet for quite a while, you are stuck down there?

Looking forward to your inputs!

Cheers
Cecco

Cecco
9th May 2009, 12:26
the frequency 122.8 unicom was also mentioned in a thread. When would you use this frequency in the AFI region?

groundfloor
10th May 2009, 12:44
Cecco, do not fly high or low - on TCAS everyone can see that....:}....will definitely elicit some chirping especially if rvsm. Offset to the right TOC to TOD and obviously not when routing dct (off an airway). 126.9 - as per the chart, and the JEPP text - Upper not Uniform, Golf not Green - keep a log as to: whom, where, what, going where - if you are below .79 best listen to whats behind you as well :).

Climb as soon as you can - better up early than never. Be careful of large temperature variations over Northern Africa - have seen it go from ISA + 5 to ISA + 20 in a very short distance. Personally have never climbed or descended without a clearance - check your airway if you go from odd to even you better clb or descend. There was a midair between the USAAF and Luftwaffe like this a couple of years ago.. SSB My advise get on the owner or operators case and install one - hell a SATPHONE too - nice to have a plan B!!

Don`t be scared to ask for a relay or freq on 126.9 or even 121.5 - better to ask even silly questions than have an incident.

Storms in Africa are STORMS! not those piddly European things - go around them upwind if possible. When flying in cloud at below -40 deg watch the SAT carefully when near a storm, you could hit a warmer icing patch with the SAT down to - 35deg with supercooled water - exciting times!

Keep it up - cool to see someone doing their homework.

411A
11th May 2009, 03:19
Cecco, do not fly high or low - on TCAS everyone can see that........will definitely elicit some chirping especially if rvsm. Offset to the right TOC to TOD and obviously not when routing dct (off an airway). 126.9 - as per the chart, and the JEPP text - Upper not Uniform, Golf not Green - keep a log as to: whom, where, what, going where - if you are below .79 best listen to whats behind you as well .

Climb as soon as you can - better up early than never. Be careful of large temperature variations over Northern Africa - have seen it go from ISA + 5 to ISA + 20 in a very short distance. Personally have never climbed or descended without a clearance - check your airway if you go from odd to even you better clb or descend. There was a midair between the USAAF and Luftwaffe like this a couple of years ago.. SSB My advise get on the owner or operators case and install one - hell a SATPHONE too - nice to have a plan B!!

Don`t be scared to ask for a relay or freq on 126.9 or even 121.5 - better to ask even silly questions than have an incident.

Storms in Africa are STORMS! not those piddly European things - go around them upwind if possible. When flying in cloud at below -40 deg watch the SAT carefully when near a storm, you could hit a warmer icing patch with the SAT down to - 35deg with supercooled water - exciting times!

Nice concise reply...well done!