PDA

View Full Version : Pictures on prune

rogerg
9th May 2009, 10:47
Can someone explain to me in simple terms how I can add a picture into a thread?

henry crun
9th May 2009, 10:58
There is a Sticky in History & Nostalgia that will tell you all you need to know.

Saab Dastard
9th May 2009, 11:29
There is a sticky in THIS forum called FAQ - it's in there (too)!

SD

rogerg
9th May 2009, 17:24
in simple terms

I tried the FAQ but it left me even more confused!

Loose rivets
9th May 2009, 17:56
The thing is that unlike some forums, Pprune does not host pictures directly.

This means that you have to have another service that will do it for you. Photobucket is a popular one. It's a free download.

When you have set this up, you simply pick a photo that you've put into such a program, and then copy the IMG Code...which in Photobucket's case is the fourth line under the thumbnail picture, and then paste it into your Pprune posting.

So, I would put in this link and the picture will appear, except that for now, I have corrupted the bit with some *** so it doesn't work, and you can see what it looks like.

[IM***G]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/DSC_0272.jpg

Now, when I remove the *** it will automatically show the picture...as below. You will see that it causes the scroll bars to appear because in this case the picture is a tad too big. Not good, but more on this below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/DSC_0272.jpg

Mind you, I have intentionally :rolleyes: picked a picture which is too big...this ticks people orf, cos from then on all the folks looking at that entire page will have to scroll sideways.

The Bucket, as I call it, can re-size pictures, but there is a nice little freebee called FastStone photo resizer. There has been a thread here or in Jet Blast - in the last few days - on getting the size right for Pprune...but as a rough guide, a Med quality 125K comes out about right.

Getting tricky? Don't panic. You can simply invite folk to look at your picture without showing it. This kills two birds with one stone. A/ It is just that, an invitation to look, and B/ The size problem goes away. So, you'd just DEL the [IMG] boxes off the ends...for some reason, the picture is always a nice size. ( I think...I haven't tried any vast ones.)

Click on the link to see the same picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/DSC_0272.jpg

rogerg
10th May 2009, 09:28
Loose rivets,

Thanks for that. I think I have got it. I will post a picture here soon to test it out.

Jofm5
10th May 2009, 17:54
Loose Rivets:

Mind you, I have intentionally :rolleyes: picked a picture which is too big...this ticks people orf, cos from then on all the folks looking at that entire page will have to scroll sideways.

Just a quick correction as an aside..

The scrolling is based upon what resolution you are running your screen(s) at - I would imagine quite a few people with 22" monitors runing at 1900x1200 dont have to scroll - I could get 2 of those pics side by side in the thread still without having to scroll (30" Dell @ 2516x1600).

Loose rivets
11th May 2009, 04:07
This is true. I forget sometimes that I'm a dinosaur. 1024...me-ee. ;)

My laptop is native at 1600, but I'm always gravitating back to the tube to rest me eyes.

30" Sheeeeesh! One is outclassed.