PDA

View Full Version : Tony and Nick in conversation

SFGDOG
9th May 2009, 09:57
Tony: Nick, glad you popped in we need to discuss a few things. Firstly, as you know, business has slowed down a bit so we have decided to cut capacity and we need to look at ways to cut costs.

Nick: I anticipated this Tony and I have a great plan.

Tony: Lets hear it then.

Nick: Well, I want to offer COS 08 to all the pilots and a key feature is that we will lift the retirement age to 65. This will enable us to keep the most highly paid pilots in the company for up to another 10 years, and also it will p***off every FO and SO in the company and let's not forget any junior Captain that ever wanted to take a base.

Tony: But won’t this combined with the downturn leave us overmanned and also stuck with some of the most expensive employee’s in the company, even on B scale Capt 17. Besides, aren’t most of them A scale pilots who have had a pretty good run over their careers?

Nick: Well, I see your point Tony, but I have talked extensively to all the check and trainers on extension, did I mention that this is a large percentage of my check and training department, and they have told me that we can’t afford to lose their experience otherwise the airline would grind to a halt.

Tony: Did you bother talking to any of the other 2000+ pilots in the company, specifically did you see if perhaps we could do something to encourage some of the younger Captains to step up and become check and trainers? Did you consider using some sweetners such resetting basing seniority at 55 or some modest payrises for the FO's or SO's so that they don't think their career earnings have gone down the toilet?

Nick: No, didn’t think of that because I trust my check and trainers implicitly and if they say they are irreplaceable then I believe them. Besides their current cost, they are the perfect employee. They don't mind regular pay cuts, they will work until they die, and they will do anything I tell them to do. Anything, just so they can remain part of the Cathay Pacific dream team. They will even eat their young. Anyway, I haven’t got to the best part, I can use this SLS thing to take up some of the slack for the over manning situation and get all the pilots paying for the over 55’s salary bill.

Tony: What about this BPP thing though? Won’t we end up paying BPP for a few hundred Captains to the FO’s and SO’s for years to come? How does that save us a cent?

Nick: Well, that won’t be a problem; they will all be on COS08.

Tony: But what if they don’t sign COS08 and more the point what if a lot don’t take SLS because you have p***ed them all off? Haven’t we just overmanned ourselves for years by keeping all these guys past 55 and not to mention shot our argument about needing SLS to bits?

Nick: Not sure I see your point.

Tony: Well, if you think it will work, go ahead. You are the DFO after all but it had better work.:}

routetuner
10th May 2009, 00:49
jealousy is a curse!

treboryelk
10th May 2009, 04:24
and i wonder whether Nick has noticed that most of the trainers on extension wont be training anymore on COS 08

Frogman1484
10th May 2009, 05:16
they have to train to the end of 2010...but then after that:ok:

SFGDOG
13th May 2009, 03:31
Nick: Tony, you wanted to see me.

Tony: Yes, I have a few concerns about your plan that we discussed a few weeks ago. You know, this COS08 thing for the pilots.

Nick: Yes.

Tony: I have been putting my own feelers out and I believe that most if not all of the COS99 SO's and FO's and also the younger A-scale Captains have no intention of signing COS08. How does that fit in with this great plan of yours?

Nick: Well Tony, it would appear they are not as dumb as we thought. Perhaps it's time to look at plan B.

Tony: OK then, fill me in on plan B.

Nick: (Silence)

Tony: You mean as it stands today, we could end up paying BPP to hundreds of pilots for many years and we have no plan B.

Nick: Apart from my move in October...........:{

C.A.
14th May 2009, 05:22
Fantastic post Dog!
Great to see some very clever people around, much better than the bitter and twisted outbursts. More of it please.

SFGDOG
15th May 2009, 23:09
Tony: Please come in Nick.

Nick: Thanks Tony. It was nice of you to ask me over for drinks. I like what you have done to the place.

Tony: What would you like something to drink, perhaps a scotch?

Nick: Just some water please.

Tony: Here's that scotch. Look Nick we need to talk about your career. Where do you see yourself moving to next as you have been in your current position for some time now?

Nick: Well Tony, I am glad you asked because..

Tony: That's great Nick because some wonderful opportunities have opened up in the Swire group. Have you thought much about the subcontinent?

Nick: Well...

Tony: Great, thought you would be up for it because I have been talking to the directors in JSS and we have the perfect position for a man with your talents. I will send you all the details next week and we will make the announcement next month. Have you finished that scotch yet?

Nick: Well actually....

Tony: Great, my gosh is that the time. Well you probably have plans, don't let me hold you up. I will show you out.

Nick: But...

Tony: Thanks again for popping over old boy. Have a good weekend.

crewsunite
16th May 2009, 02:40
Brilliant

& NR maybe just pull the plug then take your SLS from next week.

So we can all get back to flying planes happily again.

muddweller
17th May 2009, 13:50
Thanks Dog,
It takes me back to when we used to all have a sense of humour.
Broccoli anyone??

SFGDOG
24th May 2009, 00:21
Nick: You wanted to see me Tony.

Tony: Yes Nick, come in and sit down. I know you are busy organising things for your move but I just need to discuss a few things.

Nick: Well, I told you I would get the pilots to sign up for SLS.

Tony: Yes, you did. That was a master stoke. Do you think they will ever catch on that the numbers were less than the 90% plus percent we claimed and we are using that to pressure the holdouts to fall into line? Still, they kept you sweating until the last minute didn't they.

Nick: Err Yes. They did.

Tony: Anyway the reason I asked you to pop in was about another matter regarding the pilots. I have just been on the phone to my good friend Willie at BA. Now he is telling me they are offering redundancies to their senior and most highly paid pilots in order to cut costs. This seems like a good idea. Can you tell me again why we just lifted the retirement age to 65?

Nick: Ahh yes Tony, I thought you might ask me about that. Why don't you ponder that while I go an continue packing for the subcontinent. :E

jed_thrust
25th May 2009, 11:52
"Broccoli anyone??"

What a blast from the past!!

Had me ROFL...:D

You're more senior than you look!

crewsunite
29th May 2009, 11:17
Captain Russell Davie

ALPHA FLOOR
29th May 2009, 12:04
Huuh, what did I miss? NR maybe on the red carpet back in swire-land as we speak but I dont think swires will relinquish control of DFO back to a "pilot"....

Thats my take anyway.

AFL

goathead
29th May 2009, 21:29
Absolutely no chance , RD is a nice guy is'nt he ? why would they put top bloke in charge ! whatever air your breathing in I think you need to get the filters changed .....

LionRockRSM
1st Jun 2009, 22:10
Am I being cynical or does this whole post wreak of AoA posturing?? This is the same sh*t that JF was peddling at the last 2 AoA meetings... I sure hope that our hard earned AoA dues are not going to people who have nothing better to do then talk to themselves on this forum...

On another note.... are the employees of the AoA taking unpaid leave like the rest of us? What category does JF fall into?? 3 weeks or 4??

quadspeed
2nd Jun 2009, 07:10
On another note.... are the employees of the AoA taking unpaid leave like the rest of us? What category does JF fall into?? 3 weeks or 4??

What twisted logic necessitates that they should be taking unpaid leave? Surely they aren't Cathay Pacific staff. They're AOA staff, and will be treated with the same decency that we expect from our employers, nevermind what we actually get.

Let's not become a monster to fight one.

LionRockRSM
2nd Jun 2009, 12:06
Kitsune: The spelling is correct, just used in the wrong context.

Quadspeed: These individuals, along with the GC endorsed SLS so why shouldn't they participate in a similar type scheme. Everyone is feeling the pinch now in these hard economic times.... Why should employees of the AOA not be subject to some of the same type of rationing. AND, I am not just referring to CX. Employees in all industries are being asked to take concessions from Goldman Sachs to 7 Eleven!

turnandburn
2nd Jun 2009, 12:32
A review of salaries to make sure they are in line with the market on an annual basis and adjusted accordingly taking into consideration all duties, inflation etc. Or review contract when due for renewal like a responsible employer.

quadspeed
2nd Jun 2009, 15:05
These individuals, along with the GC endorsed SLS so why shouldn't they participate in a similar type scheme

So if a lawyer advises you to settle in a pending case, you ask him to pay part of the settlement? Are you on crack?

Why should employees of the AOA not be subject to some of the same type of rationing

Umm.. because the AOA isn't in a financial crisis. Of any kind. Unless you're also proposing we give them their 13th month when we get it, and their part of the profit share. No? Then the logic fails me.

Employees in all industries are being asked to take concessions from Goldman Sachs to 7 Eleven!

Fair enough. Then make the case. The HKAOA is in dire financial trouble, and require all its emplyees to make sacrifices. Put it to the GC.