PDA

View Full Version : Crop dusting Wannabe!

albertaboy
9th May 2009, 04:15
Hey
I am a brand new CPL Multi IFR Float rated pilot. I have been combing the overall aviation industry and have dicovered the art of crop dusting! I realize it is not an easy road, but it really looks like the type of flying I want to do. I realize my Multi IFR and Float ratings dont contribute much to my cause, I chose to do these to help my chances with any jobs out there. Basically my predicament now is I am down to 4grand and a ton of debt, no flying job and a huge desire to crop dust. I saw there is a course in Saskatewan but it is 16000 dollars for 2 months of school including 40 hours flying time. Needless to say, not a great option. I realize I am a very unexperienced pilot (225 hours TT) but does airiel spraying really require 40 more hours of flying to be certified? Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated. I am really open to any options and working anywhere. Thanks in advance
Rod

StudentPilot479
9th May 2009, 10:37
From what I've heard any insurance through the Canadian Aerial Applicators Association, which means almost every aerial applicator in Canada, requires a spray course and they are all around the same cost AFAIK. There are a very few aerial application companies (from what I've heard from spray pilots it sounds to be around one or two nationwide) that have insurance from someone else and do not require the spray course. Unfortunately that's all I know. Hopefully someone will pipe up about who doesn't require the aerial application course for you.

albertaboy
10th May 2009, 23:25
Thanks for the info:) Ill keep my ears open

North Shore
22nd May 2009, 01:54
The other thing about Ag flying companies is that they tend to like farm kids to do the flying, as they tend to be able to differentiate wheat from corn from broccoli while it is in the early stages, so as to avoid spraying the wrong crop.
Every Ag pilot I've ever met grew up on a farm..

CrimsonSkies
16th Jun 2009, 13:37
The schools provide you with the 40 hrs, but I think that is pushed hard by the insurance industry. Back in the days, we hired our pilots to spend the first year on the ground so that they could get experience from the flying guys as to when to or when not to spray. I believe that the flying part is the easier part of ag flying. The knowledge of the chemicals, interaction with the customers, and the reality of making a profit with an airplane are the most important. Good luck with your search, there are alot of good operators who will start you out at the bottom and show you the "right way" do do the job, others just want the course for insurance purposes.