PDA

View Full Version : Queen's Trinity Cross medal scrapped... because it's 'too Christian'

Rollingthunder
9th May 2009, 03:09
A medal personally established by the Queen is being withdrawn after it was deemed offensive to Muslims and Hindus.

The honour - known as The Trinity Cross of the Order of Trinity - has been ruled unlawful and too Christian.
It has been awarded to 62 distinguished residents of the former colony of Trinidad and Tobago over more than 40 years, including cricketers Brian Lara and Garfield Sobers, novelist V.S. Naipaul and many diplomats and politicians.

But groups representing the Caribbean islands' Muslim and Hindu communities - which account for around a third of their 1.3million-strong population - had argued that the words 'Trinity' and 'Cross' were 'overtly Christian'. They also said the use of a cross insignia was offensive.
Five British law lords, all members of the Privy Council, have ruled that the honour breached the right to equality and the right to freedom of conscience and belief.
The Council is an obscure body made up of senior politicians, bishops and peers.

They advise the monarch on the exercise of the Royal Prerogative and act as a final court of appeal for many former colonies.
In the judgment, Lord Hope of Craighead said that the Trinity Cross was 'perceived by Hindus and Muslims living in Trinidad and Tobago as an overtly Christian symbol both in name and substance' and as such breached the islands' constitution of 1976.
It will be replaced with the Order of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago - a circular medal featuring a sun, stars, water and a map of the islands.
Lawyer Anand Ramlogan of Hindu association Maha Saba said of the decision: 'It's a vindication of the 40 years of disquiet and unease silently suffered by the Muslim and Hindu communities whose legitimate grievance with the Trinity Cross was flippantly dismissed by successive governments.'
The implications of the ruling are being studied by lawyers in the Cabinet Office, which oversees the honours system.

Hugh Peskett, editor-in-chief of Burke's Peerage and Gentry, warned that changing the names of titles to remove Christian references would destroy hundreds of years of history. 'Part of the significance of an honour is its antiquity,' he said.

Daily Mail

sans comment

hellsbrink
9th May 2009, 03:16
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

geen commentaar

Brian Abraham
9th May 2009, 04:54
Will the VC, GC and DFC now be regarded as representative of the Christian faith and therefore to be banned? Stop the world I want to get off.

BlueDiamond
9th May 2009, 07:16
... had argued that the words 'Trinity' and 'Cross' were 'overtly Christian'. They also said the use of a cross insignia was offensive.
Hmmm ... I wonder if there are any mosques around the place that might be considered "overtly muslim."

Why is it that these fools only worry about muslims being offended (they're not, of course but nobody bothers to ask) while there is not the least concern about Christians being offended?

It's time to stop this complete garbage and start recognising ALL religions as being equal in the eyes of the law. Time for Christians, Jains, Baha'is, Jews, Sikhs, Druids, Wiccans, Mormons, Jeddi Knights, Flying Spaghetti Monsterites and what-have-you to start arcing up a bit. Play the discrimination card, folks ... that should do the trick.

F ecking unbelievable.

tony draper
9th May 2009, 07:23
Yer they feckers should remember we dissolved the monasteries for getting stroppy and we can do the same again to their establishments no prob.:rolleyes:

Al Fakhem
11th May 2009, 11:46
Hindus seem to have no hesitation in displaying swastikas all around. No doubt welcomed by the Jews and other groups persecuted by the Nazis.

Blacksheep
11th May 2009, 13:00
'Tis the Bhuddists who wave the swastika about and we all know what a bunch of murderous militant meditators they are. :rolleyes:

...they're not, of course but nobody bothers to ask...They are it seems, in this particular case, though I suspect they actually have another quite different agenda.

ZH875
11th May 2009, 13:08
Why doesn't Mrs E Windsor just tell them to bugger off, she will do what she wants to do, and award what she wants to award, after all, she is The Queen.

Or is it that she really does not have any control over what she can and cannot do?

If that is the case, maybe, just maybe, she has no real function, so could be 'stood down' from her tedious expensive duties.

hellsbrink
11th May 2009, 13:27
Hindus seem to have no hesitation in displaying swastikas all around. No doubt welcomed by the Jews and other groups persecuted by the Nazis.

Of course, we'll just ignore the small matter of the BUDDHIST "swastika" being somewhat different to the Nazi one, as seen below

Buddhist "Manji"

http://www.breadonthewaters.com/add/0651_manji_Buddhist_Swastika_clipart.jpg

Hitler's lot

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/9/9c/Nazi_Swastika.svg/200px-Nazi_Swastika.svg.png

Note how the Nazi one is reversed compared to the Buddhist one

Katamarino
11th May 2009, 13:34
And I do believe the buddhist one slightly predates the Nazi effort. Why should one of our more peaceful religions have to give up a traditional symbol because some nutcase decided he wanted to rule the world a few years back?

anotherthing
11th May 2009, 13:59
What, someone's giving up a religious symbol because of GWB?? :}

Storminnorm
11th May 2009, 14:23
Could this also mean that places with"Church" or "Cross" in
their names will either have to be demolished or
re-named because they could "Give offence" to people
of other ethnic origins? Just glad that I don't live in Christchurch.

Makes you wonder what's next.
I've tried to get the Memsahib to walk 5 paces behind me.
I won't tell you what SHE said.

hellsbrink
11th May 2009, 14:33
No, Norm, all crosses have to be banned due to association with the KKK

Storminnorm
11th May 2009, 14:41
hellsbrink, reckon I must've missed that bit! Sorry!!

hellsbrink
11th May 2009, 14:46
That'll be the next thing, you see Norm, the Christian Cross will have to be banned due to the racist undertones connected with the burning crosses of the KKK.

forget
11th May 2009, 15:02
Simple solution;

Dear xx, You've been awarded the Trinity Cross, Order of Trinity. Do you want it or not?

Storminnorm
11th May 2009, 15:09
That football chappie Beckham's going to have problems.
He's got a bl**dy great Cross tatood on his back ain't he??

Public skinning anyone??

hellsbrink
11th May 2009, 15:14
Yes please, and that's nothing to do with the cross but merely for breathing

Checkboard
11th May 2009, 15:18
You guys don't think that, if you want to honour someone, it would be nice to give them an award they would be comfortable wearing? :rolleyes:

Storminnorm
11th May 2009, 15:28
At my age the"Royal Order of the Long-Johns" would do nicely.

S'land
11th May 2009, 15:37
Will crossroads and crosswords also be banned?

hellsbrink
11th May 2009, 15:39
Who says that some who are complaining would actually get offered such an award, and should we now cry for awards in Islamic/Hindu countries to be changed to suit the needs of Christians or should we leave them alone with THEIR cultures and customs?

Oh, am busy looking up V.S. Naipaul and although things are not confirmed it seems he is of the religious persuasion of one of the groups doing the whining (also, note that it is "groups representing" these religions and not the 1/3 of the population whining, so by no means can anyone say that they speak for all the Muslims/Hindus there) and he had no issues receiving said award.

If them buggah's don't like it, they can always move.

bnt
11th May 2009, 19:12
It has been awarded to 62 distinguished residents of the former colony of Trinidad and Tobago over more than 40 years, including cricketers Brian Lara and Garfield Sobers, novelist V.S. Naipaul and many diplomats and politicians.
(emphasis added)
Two questions:
- does that explain where the medal got its name?
- is that same minority lobbying to change the island's name, then?

The Times story (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article6245144.ece) has more details about recent recommendations for changes to the awards system, along similar lines.

hellsbrink
11th May 2009, 19:32
Same story as the start

The bottom line is that it is a BRITISH DEPENDENCY

If you don't like it, :mad: off unless the majority of the people there say otherwise

bnt
11th May 2009, 22:40
Meanwhile, back in Britain, Gilbert and George (with Jesus to complete the Trinity) have put their own spin on Christian England (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23688522-details/Jesus+and+an+unholy+Union+Flag/article.do). I can quite see them getting more honours for this work ... :ooh:

hellsbrink
11th May 2009, 23:11
bnt

I would shoot the bahstuds for sacrilege or at least have them arrested for "blasphemy"

They would never do that to Mohammed so it is a clear and intentional case of religious discrimination.........

Now, although I am a UK citizen I stay elsewhere. Can I ask for charges to be pressed over that, and will someone either back me up on the charges or force an arrest on my behalf? I am sorry, but I do actually find that not only offensive, but racist and also an insult to a religion....... I think it's time the police were called.

I'm actually serious here, unless the artists do the same sort of thing in regard to other religions. It's about time the "blasphemy" law was brought into force.

Storminnorm
12th May 2009, 13:40
Whilst I agree with everything you say, I'm afraid that the
Christian religion is just too easy a target nowadays.
Plus there is NEVER any come-back on any of the tossers
that find it an easy target.
A few SHOULD be burnt at the stake just to settle the rest
of the P*ss takers down a bit, but I don't suppose there's
much chance of that happening. Pity.
I would be really interested to know if they have any future
plans to start taking the piss out of Muslims, and if not, why not?

Do the "Blasphemy" laws still exist??

No they don't I've just discovered. Abolished in 2008. Pity that!!!!

MagnusP
12th May 2009, 13:59
Taken from a House of Lords article in 2008. The bill referred to is 2008 ch4 if you have access to legal material.

The laws against blasphemy and blasphemous libel are to be scrapped, after peers voted by 148 to 87 in favour of a government amendment to the Criminal Justice and Immigration Bill.

hellsbrink
12th May 2009, 14:06
Seems that the one eyed idiot repealed the blasphemy law last year. I might have guessed.

Storminnorm
12th May 2009, 14:13
And his father was a preacher wasn't he? Hmmm.
Wonder if there's more to it all??

hellsbrink
12th May 2009, 14:16
Wouldn't surprise me