PDA

View Full Version : Adopting a scottish wildcat can be trouble

oldtora
9th May 2009, 02:27
Whilst adopting a stray cat can be trouble, it can be unusually eventful. (As in: "It was an unusual day when my cat sent me to the hospital with a bite.") There was a incident here about a chap who had a pet bobcat. A boy zoomed by on a skateboard, and the bobcat took chase. Fortunately, there were no injuries, but the local Animal Control took away the bobcat.

Any stories about scottish wildcats?

hellsbrink
9th May 2009, 02:40
They say that the Highland Tiger is untameable, even when bred in captivity. Just like a normal cat then (but I still love them)!

Can't say anything about the situation now, the buggahs are now seemingly so rare they are almost extinct (something like 400 left) due to things like breeding with domestic cats (yes, any domestic cat can successfully breed with a wildcat, obviously producing hybrids. Explains why so many ginger ones are around with 5 rings on the tail) and things like loss of habitat due to human intervention.

Some info on the cute buggers here

Scottish Wildcat Association, wild cat species description, behaviour and habitat factfile (http://www.scottishwildcats.co.uk/wildcat.html)

Davaar
9th May 2009, 03:44
Any stories about scottish wildcats?

You might start with clan Macpherson: "Touch not the cat bot a glove".

sitigeltfel
9th May 2009, 06:22
Adopt one?................some of us married one! :)

mad_jock
9th May 2009, 07:52
I have seen a trapped wild cat which some scientists intended to track where it had a dump. They had some plan of injecting and then letting it go. In the end the vet had to dart it in the trap because the thing was going mental and nobody would go within 6' of the trap.

You really don't want to go near the things, its very rare you would see one anyway. Its one of the very few if not the only native animal which can take a mink out.

Anything which has ginger hair should be treated with respect and rule 5 must be obeyed at all times.

G&T ice n slice
9th May 2009, 08:07
errrrrrrrrrr ???????

rule 5 ?

"naaaah poofters"

??

Romeo Oscar Golf
9th May 2009, 09:26
Adopt one?................some of us married one! http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Beat me to it. But I still love her, she reminded me to add.

Beatriz Fontana
9th May 2009, 09:31
They can be vicious little puddytats but gorgeous. I wouldn't go anywhere near them, personally. There's another push on conservation this year. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8026731.stm)

airship
9th May 2009, 13:39
From the Scottish Wildcat Association (http://www.scottishwildcats.co.uk/): No angry tabby or feral the wildcat is a genuine wild species of feline; it was here long before we were and long before the domestic cat had even evolved! The Scottish wildcat is infamously the only wild animal to be completely untameable, even when captive reared; they may look a little like your pet cat but these are incredibly tough superpredators, sometimes called the Tiger of the Highlands. Particularly, the "it was here long before we were and long before the domestic cat had even evolved!" part.

Excuse me for posing the question. But considering that humans have been sharing their lives with that of cats (domesticated or not), easily for over the past say 10 thousand years or thereabouts, how can anyone categorically state that there are merely 400 examples of these Scottish wildcats left alive today? Are we sure that these 'pure specimens' have not previously already been contaminated by 'foreign genes' (ie. inter-breeding with other feral / domestic cats) over say the past merely 1,000 years...?!

Please accept my apologies in advance for that somewhat simplistic and/or brutish Neanderthalian response. It must be due entirely or at least predominantly to the dormant genes in my otherwise wholly modern homo-sapiens exterior. Regardless of whether or not I'm merely a fecked-up human-being, current scientific evidence suggests that whilst the Neanderthals might not have been capable of 'reproduction' with other homo-sapiens at the time, going by the sheer volume of recent documentaries of our co-existence at the time, especially those which typically portray Neanderthal males as ugly brutes and the females of the other homo-sapiens as variously blonde or brunette Scandinavian beauties, that various attempts at copulation would have ensued (willingly or not)...?! Compared to generally accepted modern scientific evidence that there are no barriers to reproduction between the wildest Scottish wildcat and their more domesticated relations...? So, are we indeed merely lamenting the evolution of a species or trying to recreate Neanderthal cats...?! :confused:

Lon More
9th May 2009, 16:12
trying to recreate Neanderthal cats.

Why not? They would be right at home with some of the Neanderthal inhabitants of Edinbugger.

Richard Taylor
9th May 2009, 19:42
BBC's Springwatch programme last year had Simon King in the Cairngorms, at the Rothiemurchus estate. One of the film crew spotted what they took to be a female pure Scottish Wildcat (not by chance - they were looking, although they were not expecting to find one) & an impressive sight it was, hunting for prey.

Next step should be to find these black Pumas that are said to roam parts of the UK - Aberdeenshire being a particular hotspot for alleged sightings.

HERE KITTY KITTY...:eek:

Riskman
9th May 2009, 20:13
Mad Jock on wildcats,

Its one of the very few if not the only native animal which can take a mink out.

Another is the otter! A welcome by-product of re-introducing otters to areas where previously they have been hunted or polluted out of existence is that they displace any resident mink.

I'm not aware of any confrontations between otters and wildcats though.;)

mad_jock
10th May 2009, 09:34
I can't wait until they release wolves again.

Otters are cool as well, have spent many an hour watching sea otters breaking shell fish open on their bellys with a stone.

The reason I hate minks so much is because as a kid at Templars park (scout camping area) in Aberdeen the animal rights lot released all the minks in the farm next to it. After about 1 month they had killed everything in the area and were beginning to starve. One of them came into our tent at night and put the fear of god up all of us. In the end skip battered it to death with a shovel I think he made a hat out of it.

Rossian
10th May 2009, 10:13
Mornin' Davaar

When I read this comment the other morning I thought "Umm not sure that's right". However other things intervened until now; then I remembered an old boy carving his clan crest and he was a MacIntosh. Further checks confirmed it.

The Ancient Mariner

Davaar
10th May 2009, 12:25
and to you, Rossian. I got mine from memory, but you prompt me to check in Google where I find:

Gaelic Name Mac a'Phearsoin
(son of the Parson)

Slogan "Creag Dhubh"
(The Black Craig - A hill near Cluny)

Motto: "Touch Not the Cat But a Glove"

Of course, they have the spelling of "But" in a modern variation, but que voulez-vous? That MacIntosh lot were always an uppity crew. I suspect your elderly carver's mother wore army boots.

Taildragger67
10th May 2009, 13:04
TD67 did some volunteer work at the Cat Survival Trust (http://www.catsurvivaltrust.org/) sanctuary near Welwyn GC a couple years back; lynxes, bobs, several snow leopards - and a pair of Scottish wildcats (SWCs).

At feeding time, one could enter every cat's enclosure (including the snowies) to drop in the food - except for the SWCs. You poked the grub in, while they sat in the corner and growled.

They were essentially the size and colouring of a large domestic tabby but they were clearly the most bad-tempered, cantankerous felines in the place. I scratched a snow leopard's little chinny-chin-chin but I wouldn't go within 6' of these highland critters.

Plug: The Cat Survival Trust do good work; they have a rural-supply shop which is their main source of income. Please support them if you're in the area and need rural supplies.

Rossian
10th May 2009, 13:08
Odd that two clans should end up with the same motto , but then there's a difference in the representation in the crests. I can't think of another situation with the same motto in use. Interesting.
The Ancient Mariner

Davaar
10th May 2009, 15:10
But, or bot, one does recall the tale of that sporting engagement on the North Inch at Perth, between the Chattan confederation and the Kay confederation. Sir Walter among others has it on paper, as does that unfailing authority Google:

Sir Walter Scott indicates that the two clans concerned were Clan Chattan and Clan Quhele. Alexander Mackintosh Shaw states: “There is sound historical ground for the view that the parties to thefight were Clan Chattan and Clan Cameron, Clan Chattan comprising Mackintoshes, Macphersons, Davidsons, Macgillivrays,
Macbeans.”

oldtora
10th May 2009, 16:41
Taildragger 67 ... The trick is to reach under the Scottish Wildcat, and tickle it's stomach. :}

Lon More
10th May 2009, 18:19
I don't think Scott should be relied upon as an accurate source for anything historical.

Davaar
10th May 2009, 19:07
I don't think Scott should be relied upon as an accurate source for anything historical.

That is a little less than fair, don’t you think? It rather implies that Scott was erratic at best and generally wrong. Scott was a novelist and poet after all, and he was writing novels and narrative verse, not history.

That apart, there is the anecdote of Burns’s visit to Edinburgh, when the assembled brains were baffled at sourcing a quotation, and it was the boy Scott, no one else, who could place it. Not bad for that place, that time, and that company.

As for two or more clans having the same slogan, that is not so astonishing either. Given that the population beyond the Highland line in the 18th century was about 200,000, coming and going, for many reasons, between families or clans must have been common, in fact demonstrated by their alliances or confederations. We need not look further than those pesky Macphersons and Macintoshes.

See, by courtesy of Google, “A History Of Clan Shaw”, by C.J. Shaw of Tordarroch and the "Genealogical Account Of The Highland Families", by Alexander Macintosh Shaw........

It is from Shaw (Mac~An~Toisich)[“son of the thane”], son of Duncan, the 5th Earl of Fife, that Clan Mackintosh began. Clan Mackintosh was one of the primary clans which formed the confederacy known as Clan Chattan, believed to have been instituted by Chief Gillechattan Mor. Clan Shaw would also be part of the Clan Chattan confederacy as a cadet of Clan Mackintosh. The Clan Chattan Bond of 1609 gives the principal members of the confederacy as: the Macintoshes, the Macphersons, the MacQueens, the MacBeans, the Macleans of Dochgarroch, the MacGillivrays, the Farquharsons, the MacPhails, the Shaw, and some lesser families including the Clarks, Gows, Gillanders and Davidsons.

If you were to dig even more deeply you would find the Davaars in the same lot, of the “lesser families”, no doubt, but widely acknowledged for handsome dashing chaps and women of great beauty and wit, bot not without domestic skills; and besides, we kept our own slogan.

Lon More
10th May 2009, 21:24
a little less than fair

Considering his strange view of Scottish history, the fact that he nust bear a lot of the responsibility for the kailyaird genus, and his influence on the kilted German Lairdies i feel mit is more than fair

broadreach
10th May 2009, 22:55
Can't opine on bobcats but when living in the upper Amazon had an ocelot and that was an unpleasant experience. Never should have traded the peccary for that cat - it got all the monkeys, a parakeet or two, the owl and finally the hawk, at around which point I woke up and stopped trying to adjust natural instinct to my amusement.

Davaar
10th May 2009, 23:33
Considering his strange view of Scottish history,

No doubt you are right. What do you have in mind?

P.S.
How accurately, would you say, does Shakespeare's play MacBeth reflect Scottish history? Would you qualify it as presenting a "strange view"? And does it matter, since he was a dramatist and not a historian?