PDA

View Full Version : Paintball to be banned!

er340790
9th May 2009, 01:11
BBC NEWS | Europe | Germany moves to outlaw paintball (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8041320.stm)

Gott in Himmel! Just got in from getting blasted by my 9 and 12 year-old marksmen with long-barrelled Tippmans to read this drivel... Paintballing has got to be one of the best outdoor pursuits the whole family can enjoy. 40 minutes dashing from tree to tree and I'm exhausted... and yellow... and pink.

Usual bureaucratic overkill to a totally unrelated incident. :ugh: :yuk:

Peter Fanelli
9th May 2009, 01:43
Damn right, don't some of em use CO2?

Ban them all for the sake of the environment.

Going to have to get rid of carbonated drinks as well!

:=

fltlt
9th May 2009, 01:51
And humans too! I keep thinking I shall have to commission a Govt investigation as to how all us over 50's managed to have a somewhat happy, healthy life, without any Govt idiots intervention!

hellsbrink
9th May 2009, 02:02
<Sits back and waits for Flying Binghi to start rabbiting on about how violent movies cause paintball deaths whilst he teaches his kids to shoot real guns>

It's a typical knee jerk reaction, and even in control freak Britain they never thought of doing that. Come to think of it, I've never heard of any country thinking about doing anything like that before. Laser Tag encourages people who go nuts to kill people? Even a UK Government couldn't think that one up.

con-pilot
9th May 2009, 02:03
And humans too! I keep thinking I shall have to commission a Govt investigation as to how all us over 50's managed to have a somewhat happy, healthy life, without any Govt idiots intervention!

Hell, try over 60, I should have been killed many times before I ever got to the age of 10. :uhoh:

hellsbrink
9th May 2009, 02:05
I should have been killed many times before I ever got to the age of 10.

That's one hell of a punishment for not eating your Brussels Sprouts

Flying Binghi
9th May 2009, 02:07
Usual bureaucratic overkill to a totally unrelated incident

Unrelated :confused:

...games like paintball and laser-tag that stimulate killing on that they trivialise and encourage violence.

Kretschmer and freind "would have air pistol shootouts in the woods, with the boys wearing protection from the pellets. "Once or twice a year we would have air gun battles in the summer, ...Every one had protective goggles. He always shot me."

Profile: Tim Kretschmer | World news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/11/german-school-killings-kretschmer-profile)

Kretschmer played many games...

This article covers some of the Far Cry2 game, but i dont think the article writer played the game all the way through (understandable)

Extract via, Adam Lewitt, The Australian, March 16, 2009

Tim Kretschmer spent..(time)... playing Far Cry2, a game in which the player takes on the role of the killer.

...Remarkable parallels emerged between the video game and the 17-year-old's actions, when he killed 15 people and then himself.

In the game it is essential to hijack cars to move around. Kretschmer did the same, holding a pistol to the terrified driver's head and asking: "Should I have fun and pick off some more drivers?"

...Characters in the game, which is made by the French company Ubisoft and has sold 2.9million copies worldwide, wear black camouflage uniforms, the clothing Kretschmer wore on Wednesday.

...theres more, later in the Far Cry2 game, the game players character has to kill a 'girlfriend' character, and her friends, to continue in the game.

Much more killing till the end of the game where the game players character commits suicide...........

Kretschmer played out every last detail of the game.

German killings linked to video game | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25190537-2703,00.html)

IMO, the parents of Tim Kretschmer, and parents of other children, should be asking some LOUD questions of a society that allows such puerile and violent mind altering games to be available.

fltlt
9th May 2009, 02:08
Ah, Brussel Sprouts, parents revenge, never did like the things!

con-pilot
9th May 2009, 02:12
That's one hell of a punishment for not eating your Brussels Sprouts

Dang it, I just poured that Scotch and water. :(

(Now I have to clean that mess up.)

Lightning6
9th May 2009, 02:18
Dang it, I just poured that Scotch and water. :(

(Now I have to clean that mess up.)

I was waiting for you to comment :), I hope you didn't waste too much Scotch. :ooh:

hellsbrink
9th May 2009, 02:19
IMO, the parents of Tim Kretschmer, and parents of other children, should be asking some LOUD questions of a society that allows such puerile and violent mind altering games to be available.

I knew it wouldn't be long. Did you scream for "Dallas" to be taken off the air after JR was shot?

Guess all those mass killings when we played with spud guns, dart guns, bows and arrows, etc during my childhood didn't really happen. AFter all, the projectile from a spud gun could take someone's eye out. Probably more dangerous than paintballing.

Your argument, Binghi, as usual, is the thing that irrelevant especially as your conspiracy theories are unrelated to the happenings in the real world. A nutter that wants/decides to take not only his own life but also others around him will still do it, he doesn't need a game or movie to "inspire" him. After all, these things have happened since before movies were invented, and LONG before computer games, as has been proven to you (and you still haven't answered these points in the "Violent movies/games" thread, you just bring the same carp up wherevere else you can).

PS. Note the figures used in that "example" you found from a hysterical journalist. I don't see TWO MILLION kids going on a rampage, do you? But it's the game's fault.

hellsbrink
9th May 2009, 02:22
Dang it, I just poured that Scotch and water.

Sorry about that, but you deserve it for diluting decent scotch.

("What would you like in your whisky, sir?" "Is there room for some ice?" "Yes, of course" "Then put some more bloody whisky in it and don't give me a half-empty glass again!!")

Lightning6
9th May 2009, 02:25
Sorry about that, but you deserve it for diluting decent scotch.

("What would you like in your whisky, sir?" "Is there room for some ice?" "Yes, of course" "Then put some more bloody whisky in it and don't give me a half-empty glass again!!")

Absolutely, the only thing to mix with a Scotch is another one.

hellsbrink
9th May 2009, 02:42
Aye, it's the only time I want an 18 year old at room temperature. Normally I prefer them a bit warmer...... :E

parabellum
9th May 2009, 02:59
Putting ice in Scotch is as close as you will get to a mortal sin!:=

According to the distillery I used to visit on the island of Islay, (Bowmore), water, up to equal measure of scotch, is acceptable, ideally the water should come from the same source as the distillery use.

hellsbrink
9th May 2009, 03:12
Ahhh, Bowmore. A nice one but not as good as a Bunnahabhain.

But, you got the crucial part right about the water, it should come from the same place or it can affect the taste.

That's why the only thing that's good in a Scotch is another one!

(Now, I don't care what anyone says, but Vodka must be chilled........)

sitigeltfel
9th May 2009, 06:46
I used to play paintball in my younger, fitter days, but one incident made me stop.

We had been through the usual scenarios, splitting into teams and going through the tasks of attacking and defending various positions. At the end of the day it was usual for the last game to be instructors versus the rest of us and the "enemy" set themselves up in a fort. As we advanced I managed to get under some thick undergrowth that gave me the chance to sneak up on the outlying pickets and aimed a burst at the chest of one of the defenders. He saw me as I fired, ducked, and one of the balls hit him square in the throat. These were the early days when only goggles were worn, not full face masks as they are now and the guy went down gasping for breath. It was a worrying few minutes before we got him breathing again and a trip to A&E to make sure there was no permanent damage.

Good fun at the time, but not any more.

tony draper
9th May 2009, 06:58
Well as long as we just sit on our chuffs and do nowt bulldung like this will continue to pour forth from those feckwits across there unabated, vote UKIP and we can invite those ringpieces in Brussels to go forth and multiply themselves repeatedly with sharp sticks.
:rolleyes:
PS we used to play similar games but with air rifles much more painful,we were not totally unmindful of safety any hit above the belt meant disqualification.
:uhoh:

green granite
9th May 2009, 07:16
Why don't we just ban politicians, life would be much better then. :ok:

Standard Noise
9th May 2009, 13:54
It's a bit much coming from the people who invaded Poland.

Don't mention the war!

larssnowpharter
9th May 2009, 14:00
Well, why not just ban everything that is any fun!

When I were a lad the indians got armed with bows and arrows. The arrows had heads made of beer bottle tops hammered onto the shaft. Feckin hurt they did!

The cowboys on the other hand, got airguns or pistols.

One cannot recall wearing Personal Protective Equipment either!

Captain Stable
9th May 2009, 14:36
Whatever happened to spud guns? :bored:

S'land
9th May 2009, 16:38
Whatever happened to spud guns?

Ahh, good old spud guns. A cousin and me took our spud guns to my maternal grandmother's funeral and fired them at each other across the grave. Ended up getting a clip round the ear and sent to bed without being able to enjoy the wake. Still it was worth it. The old :mad: had made her children's and grand children's life a misery when she was alive, at least we were able to have a couple of minutes fun before they put her underground.

tony draper
9th May 2009, 18:45
Hmmm, I dunno,water pistols seem much more powerful now than they were when I were a lad,borrowed one of they pump up one's from the wee 10 year old laddie across the road,used it to discourage a moggy who was at it on me crops.
That reminds me one must give him it back sometime although he will be starting Uni this year and had probably forgot he had it.
:rolleyes:

cockney steve
9th May 2009, 18:46
[QUOTE][IMO, the parents of Tim Kretschmer, and parents of other children, should be asking some LOUD questions of a society that allows such puerile and violent mind altering games to be available./QUOTE]

Sir, some very muddled thinking there.

I would suggest that It's Society at large, as well as parents of other children, who should be questioning the parents of this social outcast and reject to ascertain what the hell they were doing.

I find it unbelievable that he could become so totally disconnected from reality,whilst being surrounded by a loving, caring family.

Any resident of Mosside, Manchester, or Brixton, London among lots of other towns and cities, can point you in the right direction to buy cheap handguns...the Whitehall cretins rushed through legislation banning them ,after two similar "nutters" ran amok. All legally held guns were compulsorily withdrawn and rhe owners "compensated"

The cost is so scandalous that it has a 50-year secrecy ruling.

Meanwhile, nobody questioned the huge amount of illicit guns handed in every time the Police held an Amnesty, nor did they ponder the massive supply of firearms available for the civil war in Northern Ireland.

Mr/Ms. binghi needs to look a bit deeper into "cause/effect"

parabellum
10th May 2009, 02:46
The venerable catapult was often the weapon of choice in my youth. Quarter inch rubber, a good 'Y' shaped piece of tree and a leather pouch, nice lump of plasticine when used against humans, stung like buggery!
(if serious fighting then it was ball bearings and suitable round or sharp stones!).

Flying Binghi
10th May 2009, 03:14
Sir, some very muddled thinking there

Mr/Ms. binghi needs to look a bit deeper...

"Sir", "Mr", or "Ms"

cockney steve, i could be a Sir Ms i guess...being all muddled...:)

=======================

Water pistols and kids using them in a simular way to paintball ...Hmmm, in Oz at least, chidrens toy water pistols do not look like real guns any more - whys that ?

hellsbrink
10th May 2009, 10:29
Because there's a bunch of hysterical wuckfits in charge in Aus?

Hmmm, wonder who Binghi would have voted for.........

al446
10th May 2009, 10:51
Fine choice of words there sir:D

Roger Sofarover
10th May 2009, 11:59
Whatever happened to spud guns?

Banned in case you get food poisoning from not storing the spuds at the right temperature.

Ken Wells
10th May 2009, 15:18
Bizarre , considering you can travel across the boader into Belarus and buy and AK47 for pennies, it is a bit

Stabil, Pferd, Zugeriegelt!