PDA

View Full Version : Chances of landing flying job in Nigeria with 500TT

Young Pilot
8th May 2009, 19:55
Hi to all. Just want to know what my chances are of finding a job in Nigeria as a pilot, with just over 500 hours logged. I currently hold an FAA CPL with an instument and multi rating, along with a CFI/CFII certificate. Still carry a valid First Class medical. I am from the Caribbean, and just returned recently to sit the conversion exams there. Things aren't too hot here, so I'm just looking at other options. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

YP

Kapt
8th May 2009, 20:25
Son, Stay where you are, you are a still too young and to face Lagos. They will eat you for breakfast. You think that african don't have pilots with big jet time. Think again This continent is not for young kids. I have been in the US, West Africa and Asia. Good Luck.:=

Young Pilot
8th May 2009, 20:34
Thanks a lot Kapt. I guess I am just anxious on getting my career started, and this economic recession is not helping. However I do understand that I have to be patient:). That's why it's always a pleasure getting encouragement/advice from more seasoned pilots who have been there. Thanks.

737hustler
8th May 2009, 23:17
YP

I came here to Africa with 300 and a CPL/IR, dont be discouraged about coming here for an opportunity - or for any opportunity for that matter.

In this industry, you have to go where the jobs are - especially for your first one.

But to be honest, for now, the market is saturated with lots of experienced guys. Keep flying and keep current, and when the market is on the up again, i'm sure there will be jobs galore for newbies like you.

I waited 3 years for a break, and it came... Be patient, keep in touch with who's hiring, and network lots.

73H:ok:

Young Pilot
9th May 2009, 01:39
Appreciate it 737. Yeh, I'm slowly coming to the realisation that I will have to wait a while before I get that break. Now the question is, what else am I interested in to pass the time? :) I mean it's not like I haven't worked out of the field before, but the time seems to go by that much slower when you're not flying.

InSoMnIaC
9th May 2009, 06:59
YP

try arik air they seem to be expanding. I don't know if they are hiring at the moment but it won't hurt to send them ur CV

excrab
9th May 2009, 11:07
Unfortunately Arik have no shortage of type rated applicants for all the fleets at the moment.

Young Pilot
9th May 2009, 14:50
Didn't really understand that excrab. Are you saying that all their applicants hold type ratings?

excrab
9th May 2009, 16:49
Young pilot,

I am saying that they have enough applicants for the types they fly (737, CRJ900, Q400) who have type ratings and time on type that if you apply with a CPL/IR and no airline experience you won't be considered.

They are also fully crewed at the moment.

Bad news, but sadly there is a world recession going on in the airline industry and plenty of experienced pilots from the US and Europe are looking for jobs in Nigeria and everywhere else at the moment.

Young Pilot
10th May 2009, 15:26
Makes sense now. Thanks.

chrislikesblue
10th May 2009, 19:19
Which airlines with 737 fleet are hiring at the moment?And what would be their requirements?