View Full Version : Swiss Int'l Airlines

Flugmaschine
8th May 2009, 15:27
Hello! :}

I am curious to find out if there is anyone here who flys or has flown for SWISS? I have had my eyes on them for a long time and wanted to know about direct entry positions (coming to SWISS outside of their own training, from different airline, etc.) Thank you for your help!

Flug

N1 and ITT
8th May 2009, 16:43
No problem, actually about 1/3 to 1/4 of the new entrants are from "outside", i.e. not from their own school. All of these with different levels of experience, with and w/o TR. And these days they very often origin from the place you seem to come from...

N1

Flugmaschine
8th May 2009, 17:14
N1,

If you have a TR and around 750TT, would they consider you? :\

Forgot to ask, are they still in need of pilots? Seems like they were always hiring people.

N1 and ITT
8th May 2009, 17:22
SWISS Direct Entry Requirements (http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/about_swiss/careers/job_opportunities/cockpit_crew/Pages/a320_requirements.aspx)

...but maybe you might try to ask them directly?

Still in need of pilots, yes. Do not ask me how they do that - or for how long...

N1

Flugmaschine
8th May 2009, 17:36
Ah! Should have known. Been to that same page a dozen times. :ugh:

Sorry to pick your brain more, N1, but do you happen to know about the quality of life, schedule, pay, time off, etc in regards to SWISS? Duration of training for direct entry? Thanks for your help!

kentuckyfriedchicken
10th May 2009, 03:12
I have not been there for years. However, it was a fun job. Great expats and locals to fly with, ok lay-overs, and good machines. When everything came to a screaching halt (swiss air issue) then we all scampered to other jobs. I really enjoyed the time though. I have heard that you work much harder now, great for a low timer like yourself. Give it a whirl. Worst thing they can say is no and then you move on. Until they have offered you a job, you really have nothing.

Good luck with your decision,

Deep Fried

PS the Ex-swiss air and crossair thing really bothered some of the guys. Just go and do a professional job and enjoy life. Politics can ruin anything good.

LSGG
10th May 2009, 06:55
The ex Swissair and ex Crossair thing is still going on.

There is a difference in terms and conditions between "Swiss Regional airline" hence ex Crossair
and
Swiss international airlines hence ex Swissair.

I do not know all the details of the terms and conditions, except that it-s not the same salary and as we speak no chance to jump ship from Swiss Regional to its big sister company.

Base is Zurich

Another thing is that you MUST be fluent in German as the selections and coursesare held in this language which again is discriminatory for the french and Italian speaking part of the country !

Good luck though because as long as you don-t try, you-ll never know. You gotta judge by yourself.

batman123
10th May 2009, 08:23
Swissluft is a bad company, lot of discrimination.

max age to apply is 38 years old(20 Jahre - 38. Geburtstag (zum Zeitpunkt der Bewerbung)) , which is again german law, but authorized by the Swiss government. Still Swissluft is a German company, so legally, in my point of view, they should not discriminate.

then they say they have a pilot shortage, they try to fill their flight school with students ready to pay a fortune.

I have met ex-crossair pilots as well, who could not get a job at swiss, reason: swiss pilots join the Swiss union, and it costs more to kick a swiss pilot out, than a European pilot.

at Swiss they don't tell you the truth and they have never make any money since years.Swiss Air is a fiasco, not better than Swissair...

"anyway, you are not a ex Swissair pilot, so you are less than a s...t !:yuk:"
(from the Swiss Air direction)

to complain write here, it s their CAA:
FOCA - Contact (http://www.bazl.admin.ch/kontakt/index.html?lang=en)

foca won't do too much, they are corrupt as well! Switzerland is a corrupt country!

N1 and ITT
10th May 2009, 12:49
I admit this forum is a "rumors" network. But some seem to misinterpret that with "spread of untrue and bitter bullsh.t".

I very sad to see, that a few of the guys who have been laid off in 2001 (ex-SR AND ex-LX), still did not find their way to get along with it. But maybe the promises of good old Moritz and his little Dwarfs were just to blinding...

Enjoy your life wherever you are, Batboy, and stay there, please.

N1

Dani
12th May 2009, 21:10
Correct. If you have a TR, it depends which one. If you have an Avro's, you go to SWU, get 60 000 CHF and pay your own pension fund. If you do not speak German you get only a limited contract, but you earn more.

If you have an A320 TR, you have to speak German, you get 70 000 CHF and have the long haul career.

The SWU people are easier people, while the SWR are a bit more strict. It's still the Crossair and the Swissair people. They both have basically the same contract, except the salary list.

Ask me if you need more details.

Dani

N1 and ITT
13th May 2009, 13:40
Difficulties to read, Dani? Or just a bit far and long away from all that SWISS stuff? :rolleyes:

For everyone else, PPJN.com and swiss.com give you more facts, such as:

If 1000hrs MPA and higher education -> SWR
If not -> SWU

As simple as that.

And finally, finally forget that stupid and hillarious CRX vs. SWR game. This was now 8 years ago and believe me, except for some hot blooded diehards, this is a pure no factor in todays daily business. Both of the pilot bodies have more important things to think about. And the relationship between them is no less than good!

N1

angelorange
13th May 2009, 17:00
So if you are 38 or above when you apply even if Airbus Type rated, German speaking with 1000s of hours and degree level education there is no chance?

If Swissair are German company do they not have to abide by EU age rules?

N1 and ITT
13th May 2009, 17:12
I can not judge whether the 38-rule is against any law. Or contradicts fairness or should even imply moral scruple... There must a reason for this rule, especially as they block some good candidates for themselves too. Maybe I had some reservations as well, if I had the same age as you obviously have.

But they decide what they want, clearly stated on their web site. If you have a problem getting a "no" AFTER you read their criteria, then you should maybe not take it too hard...

N1

PS: The company is german property, but run according Swiss law, AFAIK.

Flugmaschine
13th May 2009, 18:18
This Crossair/Swissair thing sounds a lot like the TWA/AAL thing here in the U.S. Is Crossair history or are they still around? If it was in fact 8 years ago, let it go already. Nothing we can do about it now.

Interesting that German is required since Schweiz has 4 national languanges. Why not just english since that's the Int'l aviation language to begin with? I don't mind learning German. I am in the process of learning German on my own and having fun with it.
But Swiss German.....Ehhh.....I can't understand a word of it. :} Does SWISS require high German or Swiss-German? :confused:

mini-jumbo
13th May 2009, 18:28
Neither Crossair or Swissair still exist. And as has been said, it's history now so let it remain.

You need to speak German, you don't need to speak Swiss German.

Flare-Idle
13th May 2009, 23:35
Both branches are still looking for pilots, quite unusual in the current economic climate ! Obviously some problems so far to get enough suitably qualified (i.e. Swiss standards) pilots, especially on the AVRO-fleet. Intermediate solutions with contract pilots on the AVRO fleet. The 320series fleet sucking up quite an amount of ex-AVRO pilots jumping ship if seniority number is up, therefore aggravating the situation on the AVRO-fleet...vicious cycle...

Situation will probably get tighter on both fleets if Swiss finally decides to get rid of the wet-lease operations of Helvetic and Cirrus for economical reasons.

Moneywise not a real killer on both fleets, especially when you have already some hours on type. Rosters are quite busy and unstable for both the AVRO- and 320series-fleets, yet a great bunch of people to fly with, both cockpit and cabin. Superb training and standards. Limited future prospects in the European ops side, long-haul perspective in the International branch though 330 & 340...

alkor
14th May 2009, 06:36
hi,

is 60000 chf before or after swiss tax. And wasnt there that the avro fleet gets same permanent contract as if you were swiss citizen?

Cheers

N1 and ITT
14th May 2009, 08:54
Ok, once again: Facts, please, facts...

SWU (SWISS European Airlines) starts at 4th year FO which is 70500CHF. (Check PPJN.com, accurate figures there)

Tax in Switzerland depends on where you life (different tax rates from village to village). Average tax rate in Switzerland is at 21%, but could be a lot higher OR lower (if you know where the rich and famous life, you're there...) Social contribution is at 6.05%, excl. pension, which depends on what you want to spend on it.

I believe - for once NO fact, just guessing - that SWU pays all the mandatory pension fund (which is the case at SWR), so you'd pay only the voluntary part of it, which is in turn tax deductible.

So: 70500 - ~26% = 4500CHF/mt after all, which equals right about the average income (before tax and socials!) in Switzerland. Depends on what outfit in your garage, lawn, bed...

N1

dartagnan
14th May 2009, 09:08
So if you are 38 or above when you apply even if Airbus Type rated, German speaking with 1000s of hours and degree level education there is no chance?

If Swissair are German company do they not have to abide by EU age rules?no chance dude, you are out...u are too old...you are a old fart, man!!!!
Swissair don't like anyone over 38...

have you seen the sci fi movie in 1985, when if over 40, they kill you, or send agents to track you.???

the agents are called Swiss Air...dont show your face to them if over 38...ok?

I wrote to luft and to the FOCA, but FOCA won't answer, cuz switzerland discriminate poeple and they won't recognize it...

in switzerland, no one respect the laws, banks, managers,...all do what they want. you can do pretty much all you want. No one is going to put you in trouble, except the USA....

have you seen a BLACK pilot at swissair or at Swiss, cuz I have never seen a non white pilot at Swissair or Swiss.?

Both branches are still looking for pilotsoh please stop your crap! they are not looking for anyone, they want kids spending 200'000$ in their flight school.
everyday, they receive CV of competent pilots, and they are all turned down.
Why are you not working for them in this case???
me too, I am looking for pilots for my company. Send me them!!!!I need 500 pilots for my new airline.

did you remember when the said in 2001:" Swiss, 90 years of experience. when it was a new airline!!!"

that show you the kind of crap people are willing to believe.

N1 and ITT
14th May 2009, 09:23
Pitty guy.

Ah, and by the way:

There are actually two black guys flying for SWU/SWR... And I think even some red ones, and - you will not believe it - a bunch of green ones, too... :}

The colorblind N1

dartagnan
14th May 2009, 09:32
good for you dude!!!
if you like swissgerman, I am sad for you! worse language,I even prefer barking dogs!:)

as for answer from the swiss governement, one of my freind sent this to me

Monsieur
Nous avons bien reçu votre email.
Si Swiss n'engage pas de personnel dépassant un certain âge, nous ne pouvons rien y faire. C'est une question de politique de l'entreprise, et c'est leur droit de décider à quelles conditions ils engagent du personnel. Si vous aimeriez connaître les raisons pour ces restrictions, veuillez vous adresser directement à Swiss.
Meilleures salutations

I translate 4 u:

"f. u moron, we dont give a sh..t if you are a old fart pilot at 39, get you a decent job, and dont call us again cuz we have a nice seat in bern where i can seat my ass all day long, we dont need respect the swiss/EU law, so again f...u and f...k all roastbeefs who try to come in our nice country!!!"

Flugmaschine
14th May 2009, 17:33
Wow. That's the most negative thing I have read on here so far. You make it sound like Switzerland is a bad country to live in.

By the way, that's not what the letter says. It says politely to contact swiss because there's nothing they can do to help you. What happened that makes you view the swiss so negatively?

alkor
14th May 2009, 19:06
dartagnan:

is that for real? and what was the question for getting the answer like this..

UAU,

and btw unfortunately I also heard that when the swissair (edited) bankrupted or whatever, they laid off all the foreign pilots...

cheers

Flugmaschine
14th May 2009, 19:17
Alkor, aare you talking about "Swissair" or current "SWISS"? I'm 100% but I dont think SWISS has been bankrupt. :confused:

Also, I wanted to know more about the pension/retirement at SWISS. What is the company contribution after retirement? And is 55 still the retirement age? If so, WOW! It's 65 here in the states. Too much work for too long, in my opinion. Thanks guys! Keep the information coming! I need to keep learning about what's going on at SWISS. Ciao! :}

el caballero rojo
14th May 2009, 19:50
Not to to criticize Swiss. I don´t know much about Swiss. What I can say is that it is true that when Swissair was in trouble they first sacked all the foreigners, no matter how long they were there. I good friend of mine was one of the first to go at that time.

Dani
14th May 2009, 20:23
N1, I don't know why you attacked me, since I agreed with you...

Anyway, your ppjn figure is not correct. You get 4th year salary as a DEP, that's 60k in SWU and 70 in SWR.

It's correct that 1000h MPA gives you the right to apply for SWR, but you still have to do the training, and during this training you still can get the Avro job. If you have turboprop or regional training you most probably end up in SWU. Which is not a bad thing. You just have to know that. Until you're 38 (?) you have the right to apply for main line, i.e. SWR. They generally take the younger collegues on the Avros, while some argue that they rather put those on the Avros, who they didn't like.

I agree that there is no Swissair and no Crossair anymore, but the boundaries are still alive, mainly in the salary list. Generally in the office there's only former Swissair guys, management is purely Swissair, while top management is Lufthansa. Older former Crossair guys are mostly frustrated and try to change ships or get a LOL case. They also do not have a union, the last one has been destroyed.

Still it's a fine job, also in prospect of the CS110 order for 2014 or so. Just putting things into perspective.

Dani

N1 and ITT
14th May 2009, 22:20
No intention to attack you, dear Dani, especially not you, but I am trying to put things into facts. Maybe you got your infos from too far away, while I am in the middle of it, with all its goodies and badies...

For the facts about requirements, check once again this (http://www.swiss.com/web/DE/about_swiss/careers/job_opportunities/cockpit_crew/Pages/pilot.aspx). There you'll find the all the figures and traps about getting into SWISS, including all specials and temporary entries into its salary list, which is a tad more complicated than you told us here, Dani.

BTW: DEP into SWR has been pulled from the SWISS site just as of today. No comment about that.

About the relationships and boundaries between SWU and SWR:

Its true that the two pilot bodies exist, mainly due to SWISS appreciating the two as a 'divide et empera' thing.

The relationship is on the contrary very good, which I can witness from many different perspectives (many common courses, training, daily life, night stops, ...). I never experienced any single conflict and was very surprised, when I started some time ago, how good the relationship is. And I was quite biased towards SWR, I must admit...

I understand that the way, SWU people are 'allowed' into SWR is not up to perfection (giving up seniority etc.). But I believe that anyone coming over to SWR is quite happy, thats at least what I hear.

To sum it up:

It's not heaven and neither hell. But its quite ok to be with SWISS as a pilot with some perspective for long haul, a certain job security in the LH environment while living in Switzerland - despite the barking people :rolleyes: - and a management, which does things quite clever... (nobody cares if they all are SWR or SWU, which is anyway not true, btw. They are all LH...)

Enjoy, wherever you are!
N1

PS, what I forgot: 'Sacking foreigners first' and all that BS... Everything goes acc. seniority and believe me: being sacked before many, many foreigners because of seniority in 2001 assured me of that... Thats the way it is. (Cannot comment on CRX, tough. Old Moritz quite sure had his own way of running things...)

el caballero rojo
15th May 2009, 11:34
PS, what I forgot: 'Sacking foreigners first' and all that BS... Everything goes acc. seniority and believe me: being sacked before many, many foreigners because of seniority in 2001 assured me of that... Thats the way it is.

Due to the fact that they were non Swiss nationals in 2001, they had a different status (work permit). The ones I know came from Sabena Flight Academy and were flying on the A320 fleet for about 1 year. They were the first ones who got the kick out. There were definitely F/O´s who were Swiss nationals who came in behind them and were not sacked as the seniority would assume. What the exact reason is, I can not tell you but if you can N1 and ITT, please do, but I guess that would lead us to far away from the topic.

PS. I am not saying anything about Swiss. I am just referring to Swissair. I guess the Swiss climate has little to do with the former Swissair. Or am I mistaking?

N1 and ITT
15th May 2009, 12:39
Sabena-guys got hired in June or July 2001, second last initial course in history of SR, Swissair bankrupt in Oct 2001. So their group (I believe they were about 6 guys and gals) were number six or so on the seniority list. They were kicked out in Feb 2002 accordingly, behind the last six or so and before all the other 170 lost souls... So they were NOT the first ones, because the 'list' was followed strictly as it should be...

Nothing to do with work permits. And not their fault either, despite the fact that nobody understood why they were hired in the first place with the situation of SR already looking pretty ****ty... But that was maybe political considerations against the whole Sabena-situation. Once again: not their fault.

Some of them even returned to SWISS and I believe they are quite happy, too.

N1

Robert Vesco
15th May 2009, 14:00
Hey look! Another Swiss (Crossair versus Swissair) topic! Hahahaha, some things never change, and that includes all the negative experiences of foreigners working for a Swiss company!

Flugmachine, just do a quick search on my username and you'll see a lot of topics about how Swiss(air) deals with it's pilots. Read through it and then decide if you want to be treated as a second class citizen.

On a personal note, even yours truly, Robert Vesco, received a nice letter from LX a few years ago, asking me to come back on the Pigalino (a.k.a. Jumbolino/AVRO) fleet. So just for fun, I called the nice lady in recruitment back saying that I already had a valid A320 rating and ±1500 hours on type. I asked her if there was any chance to start on the LX A320 fleet and the answer was: "no, you are ex-Crossair, you can only join (and stay!) on the P!SS European Airlines fleet for SFr 60k/year." So then, after I was finished laughing, I thanked her for her sincere and blatant racism and wished her all the best in trying to sucker people into this lousy deal.

p.s. Robert is now flying long haul wide body for a nice and well respected European company. ;)

Switzerland is a nice country for a few weeks on vacation, but don't expect a fair treatment as a foreigner if you want to work there. You are warned!

Dani
15th May 2009, 16:58
It's not the race or the country - it's the language, stupid!

They like to have German conversation in their cockpit. OK, that's also racism, but I understand and also happen to enjoy it. The same is valid in Air France, Italian Airlines, Spanish, German, wherever you look.

The only pure English speaking airlines are the British and the US's... :rolleyes:

Flugmaschine
15th May 2009, 18:32
Not racism. Racism has to do with ethnicity or skin color. Discrimination is the word you're searching for. But maybe it's both? I'm not sure because I don't work in Schweiz.

Don't forget canada speaks english too! Sorry to be a smart ass. :}

Personally I don't believe in race, only human variation. We're all human beings (except for airline management). :p

By the way, are you at SWISS Dani?

N1 and ITT
15th May 2009, 20:22
Dani and Flugmaschine; :D

And for Roberto and consortes: :ugh:

Im happy to report that only some outsiders and frustrated ones seem to be stuck in the old days of Moritz and all that crap. For the benefit of the employees and the company of today, these old reflexes of CRX vs. SWR are gone finally, at least within the company and that's what counts, isn't it?

Lets not forget that LX/SWR/SWU is (at least) right now one of the very few airlines offering direct entry onto an airbus or avro with prospect for longhaul, without the usual and eternal rip off.

Now, be good boys and give the questions of Flugmaschine et alt decent answers.

N1

Flugmaschine
15th May 2009, 23:04
Without the eternal ripoff? Are there some airlines that make you pay for the job? Most airlines in the states are direct entry, no airline branded schools. Except for one or two that I can think of.

By the way, I appreciate everyone's input on SWISS. It is helpful to get opinions/perspectives from all angles. I think overall SWISS is a good company, far better than most US airlines. I still have a lot to learn about the airline politics in Europe as a whole but from what I've seen, it's a little better than the situation in the US. Current economics have got most pilots in a tight bind around the world.

Robert Vesco
16th May 2009, 06:15
It's not the race or the country - it's the language, stupid!
I speak fluent German, so that could not have been the problem. There was even a captain who continued to speak English, saying: " I only speeek Swiss Djarrrman." Hahaha!

Now, be good boys and give the questions of Flugmaschine et alt decent answers.You mean, answers that are more in line with your thinking? :)

Flugmachine, stay away from Swiss and Switzerland! There are plenty of countries in Europe where foreigners are not treated as second class citizens, but Switzerland is not on that list...

p.s. The recession has also struck Europe, so forget about going through the hassle to convert your license and coming here to find work. Very few jobs. :(

Dani
16th May 2009, 12:27
Well, the truth may lay somewhere between N1 and Robert - they both just want to defend their own way.

Swiss is a good company, with a bright future. And most pilot (especially those who never experienced the ugly wars of the founders) will enjoy working there. Still there is a huge gap between SWU and SWR, and you have to know that if you want to work there. It's mainly the material side, as I said (pay and pension). Again, up to postholder level everything is former Swissair. A SWU pilot has no chance to enter this management level. There is one exception - and I guess hardly any SWU guy relates with him anymore. There is only one pilot union, Aeropers, a very strong union, in the sense of VC or Balpa. They only represent SWR pilots. SWU pilots are doing as they are told. I could tell you more facts that underline the gap between SWU and SWR.

Luftmaschine, I'm not in Swiss anymore. But I have relatives in there. So my information is as good as my own's.

Forget also the rest about discrimination and general assaults against Switzerland's law and policies. Switzerland is one of the nicest country to live and work in. That's what a huge crowd of foreigners found out since we opened the border for EU citizens. Zurich has become a German enclave - mostly in a good sense. They wouldn't come here if they wouldn't want to. I know quite a few ab intios from abroad in Swiss, and they all like it very very very much.

Dani

Thin Albert
16th May 2009, 19:59
Guezii Flugmaschine

i was 7 years with Swiss on the Jumbolini, and left 2 years ago. I am more than happy that i left. I should have done that earlier. I dont miss a single day.:ouch: Take this foreigner thing what others write rather serious:cool:.
I f you dont get something ,take it and than leave. But if you have something only little better, try to avoid Swiss.
As there are lots of foreigners coming to Switzerland as Dani writes, there are also a lot foreigners leaving...(Article in German newspaper half a year ago)..for that reason:suspect:.
Good Luck
TA:)

Lear Jockey
16th May 2009, 21:09
Very interesting topic!! I'm quite astonished that some of you did not mention all of us who did all the interviews back in 2000-2001 and just had the door closed in front of our nose. Now, applying again, after some years of doing other stuff and finally flying, we are told to re-do all the selection process. Has any one of you some infos concerning what is being asked this time for a DEP/ready entry F/O? Is that exactly the same like the SAT/SRAS Swissair test, like maths, sciences, calculation and memory test. Then a second day of this PIT Trainer and funny apparaten test, etc etc etc?!

Many many thank's for your kind answer!

Lear Jockey

Josey Wales
17th May 2009, 14:08
Why do you think Swiss European is looking for pilots when everybody else stopped recruitments, or even making people redundants? They had a bunch of well experienced pilots (CNs and FOs) a few yeras back, but most of them ran away in 2006/7 when there was plenty of jobs on the market. Why? Because those people had more than enough of being treated like second class pilots, being forced new contracts with lesser conditions, having to swallow bulls**t from management as to those new conditions were according industry standard (you fly small planes, you get crap money), etc... And it was not a nationality thing, lots of Swiss nationals left as well (actually most of them were from GENF :})

Anyway if you guys/girls are desperate for a job, go ahead but don't plan for a career there. I did and wasted 8 years in this crapy airline. Actually some years were with Crossair and that was rather fun despite a ridiculously low salary.

Swiss mainline (airbus fleet) is probably better but as mentionned earlier be ready to suffer a Schwyzer dütsch brain damage.

I know I sound bitter about the whole thing... that's because I am.

Josey out.

Dani
19th May 2009, 06:34
Partly correct, Studi. You also have to compare the package with the taxation. After tax, the package might be higher than in LH. Not everyone is in your situation.

Flugmaschine
19th May 2009, 15:33
I did read that the Swiss pay the lowest taxes in Europe (25%). The Germans pay the highest (50%). Is this really true?

FL470
19th May 2009, 16:39
I could get along with 130k € (200k CHF) pretty well - and I life downtown Zurich. The problem is not the end salary, it is the time to get there which troubles me the most...

Flugmaschine
19th May 2009, 20:07
Isn't the top of the payscale after 25 years at SWISS? I would have to say that here in the US the plus side is that you top out around 12 to 15 years. Some are only 6 years. But quality of life at most airlines here isn't very good.

Dani
19th May 2009, 20:20
Time to max pay is correct. Additionally, not everyone get's there...
In your situation, I wouldn't put much emphasis on the end of your carrer when you haven't even started.

What do you mean that your quality of life in your US airline isn't good. The life in a big US airline isn't much different that one in Europe.

Dani

Flugmaschine
20th May 2009, 02:38
You do have a point, Dani. It appears that management at airlines all over the world want to screw the employees. I can't undertsand why since the employees are the very "heart" of the company. Management should treat them well if they want their company to prosper. I hope things change soon enough. Here in the states, lives have been ruined because of the piss poor management at most of the airlines. Not sure if it's to that degree in Europe?

Gretchenfrage
20th May 2009, 04:33
When have you guys last left the couch, watching Big Brother? Or the SAir Group 1998 yearbook?
You know, there is a global economic crisis going on outside and America has a new president.

Get a life, it's hard enough, wherever you are, without that geriatric CRX/SWR crap. :ugh:

Dani
20th May 2009, 07:20
Flugmaschine, of course pilots all over the world do not enjoy the privileges and benefits they used to have in the 1960's. That doesn't mean that they are really poor. If you want a representative comparison of your state of life, compare it with other professional groups like physicians, layers or bankers. There is everywhere an up and down, and altough some may have more than others, you cannot talk of ruining one's life, at least not what I see. You also have to consider that some pilots are complaining about their decay of life style, and they are doing it rightfully, but from a very high level.

If you want my advise, I would need more information about your career, but how I see it, you are a young FO in a regional airline. In Europe we also have better and worse airlines, but generally in Europe the pay is a bit better. Low cost airlines have created some quite good opportunities in the last 10 years. But also here people are complaining, and partly also with a reason.

Have you ever thought of checking out Asia? You get some very good opportunities in the middle and in the far east. After a few years, with experience and type ratings, world looks quite different. You always have the chance to get back to your home country. And maybe you will have learned to enjoy a lot of things at home.

Enjoy while it lasts,
Dani

Flugmaschine
20th May 2009, 14:38
You are assuming a lot in your last post, Dani. I'm not going to let this escalate into a debate. I simply posted this thread to get info on SWISS and I hope to hear more about them. Danke! :)

Flare-Idle
20th May 2009, 19:28
Flugmaschine

You can surf following links to get more specific infos regarding Swiss...in German though...

Pilotenboard.de :: Pilotentest (DLR-Test, Lufthansa, AUA, ...) Infos, Ausbildung, Erfahrungsberichte :: Index (http://www.pilotenboard.de/)
Flightforum.ch - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.flugsimulation.ch/forum/)

FI

Flugmaschine
21st May 2009, 03:27
Vielen dank, flare! I apprciate your help!

Squawk7777
1st Jun 2009, 16:50
Here's one for you SWISS lovers. Despite the mixed reviews I decided to apply anyway, and had my flight and hotel booked. Last Thursday I received this:

Sehr geehrter 7 7 7 7,

Wir beziehen uns auf Ihre Bewerbung als Verkehrspilot bei SWISS.

Zum Zeitpunkt Ihrer Bewerbung war die Stellenausschreibung der Kategorie "Direct Entry Swiss International Air Lines" auf der SWISS Homepage publiziert.

Das Management der SWISS hat nun vergangene Woche entschieden, die Kategorie "Direct Entry Swiss International Air Lines" per sofort zu schliessen.

Demzufolge können wir das Assessment nicht mehr hinsichtlich einer späteren Anstellung als Verkehrspilot bei Swiss International Air Lines durchführen.

Gerne machen wir Sie jedoch darauf aufmerksam, dass wir zum heutigen Zeitpunkt noch immer offene Direct Entry Stellen bei Swiss European Air Lines ausgeschrieben haben. Detaillierte Angaben finden Sie auf der SWISS Homepage unter:
Cockpit crew (http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/about_swiss/careers/job_opportunities/cockpit_crew)

Wir bitten Sie, uns umgehend schriftlich mitzuteilen (email: [email protected]), ob Sie unter den neuen Bedingungen an der Fortführung des Assessments hinsichtlich einer späteren Anstellung als Verkehrspilot bei Swiss European Air Lines weiterhin interessiert sind und Sie demzufolge den Termin für die erste Stufe vom 17. Juni 2009 wahrnehmen werden oder Sie den Rückzug der Bewerbung bevorzugen. Sollten Sie sich für das Assessment für Swiss European Air Lines entscheiden, so freuen wir uns, Sie an oben genanntem Datum in Zürich begrüssen zu dürfen. Falls Sie hingegen den Rückzug der Bewerbung bevorzugen, werden wir Ihnen Ihre Unterlagen zu unserer Entlastung zurücksenden.

Wir bitten Sie um Verständnis für die veränderte Ausgangslage und grüssen Sie freundlich
:hmm:

Flugmaschine
3rd Jun 2009, 16:40
My German is bad but from I gather, SWISS doesn't have the direct entry position anymore and they offered you a place at SWISS European? Im assuming with the thumbs down you are not going to take the position?