PDA

View Full Version : How do you get an upgrade on a flight?

Pin Head
29th Aug 2000, 21:16
Off on a longhaul flight in next week for a brief holiday before I start my airline training.

What is the best way to be considered for an upgrade, shall I wear epallettes, take my licence and log book, bribe the cabin crew?

PS I am with Lauda from MAN via Vienna to Bangkok.

RVSP.

redsnail
30th Aug 2000, 04:00
Grovel.
I doubt wearing the epaulettes will work.

mustafagander
30th Aug 2000, 08:49
Seriously, to give yourself the best chance of an upgrade if the flight is oversold, check in towards the later end of the suggested time, be sober, be polite and well dressed. If the checkin people need to upgrade somebody, that's what they look for so I hear.
Otherwise use your credit card!!
Good luck.

cox
31st Aug 2000, 14:55
mustafagander, I second that.

Was once in Dublin, and waiting for a flight back to CPH. On being told it was overbooked, me and the wife was asked if we'd stay overnight, be paid a sum of money and free grub? Hey, no fuss. We were looking forward to this as they even handled our onward flight to SGD. No sweat.

2 mins later, some business type turned up - started yelling and screaming, the old 'Do you know who I am"-routine, and was told "Sorreeee, no seats for you Sir", whereupon we got on the plane and flew 1st class to CPH, just for being polite....

I have found this to be a good approach in any dealings with hotels, car hire agencies, you name it. Quite often, the 'hardship' (if any) is amply offset by the compensation.

Good luck!

blackbox
31st Aug 2000, 17:37
Best way to get an upgrade now-a-days, pay for a business class ticket!!!!

I find the best way, is to sweat talk the cabin crew when you board the flight, sometimes it works sometimes is does not, but it has worked more times for me than at check-in...

[This message has been edited by blackbox (edited 31 August 2000).]

Oleo
31st Aug 2000, 18:19
AAAaarrrhhhhggg!! "Sweat Talk" - no wonder the cabin crew are keen to get you out of their cabin!! What a devious plan!

rookie#1
3rd Sep 2000, 19:07
To further a point made by cox,

I find these days that customers (not just talking aviation here, I work in hotels) are becoming more and more un-appreciative towards service industry staff. Furthermore, the second something goes wrong they take it upon themselves to ball out the poor staff member closest to them. When are these people going to realise that it is the shopfloor staff that they want to keep on their side - they are invariably the ones who can give upgrades etc, but can do little to fundamentally change company policy all because an angry old fart thinks it should be to accommodate him/ her.

Complain to those that are paid to take complaints, not the messenger. And where the f*ck has everyone's manners gone?

rookie#1

Jean210
3rd Sep 2000, 23:27
One tip: never give up because one person says no -- like at check-in. Try at the boarding gate with a supervisor, and also the cabin crew. It can't hurt if you are polite, and it might work.

Checkboard
5th Sep 2000, 09:22
If it is an international flight, I turn up early, and ask about the loadings at check-in , then I ask if a four seat block is free, and ask for that (liberally littered with niceties! :))

If I am really nice, they may even block off the other seats for me, guaranteeing a four seat block (bed) for the trip. All depends on the loadings, though.

Reimers
7th Sep 2000, 23:45
Pin Head:

Have you got any idea how many people enjoy flying economy class?
No one, everyone back there wants to fly business but no one wants to pay. However, depending on the route flown, some 20% ask at one point in time, even on short haul sectors!
It will propably not happen...

AntiCrash
12th Sep 2000, 06:17
Pictures of the Director of Ops with Sheep is a good start!

------------------
AArgh! My Bvwain Hurtz...

ohtofly
12th Sep 2000, 13:15
When I am checking in I just ask:

Can I please be considered for an upgrade should one be available.

7 out of 10 times on my trips this year this has worked just fine.

G-OOFY
15th Sep 2000, 19:19
Make sure your the very last to board and scan the first class seats for an empty one as you walk by no-one will ask to see your ticket! This used to work years ago, but I suspect a quick witted C/A will make you look a T**t if they found out. Proberably not recomended any more

AJ
15th Sep 2000, 23:41
From the FAQ section of BA's US site:

How can I get upgraded?

Although many passengers ask for upgrades, we must decline, even if seats in the forward cabins are available. Not only would we be unable to accommodate everyone who makes such a request, but also any selection process would inevitably lead to disappointment for others. Additionally, our past experience has been that full-fare passengers tend to learn when others have been upgraded at no additional cost and complain. We also believe that upgrades on a regular basis can damage the credibility of our premium product.

Some further points on this popular topic:

Free upgrades, without mileage redemption, are not among the features of the BA Executive Club program.
Occasionally, circumstances require that we do upgrade some passengers, usually because of an aircraft substitution or an overbooking situation that would leave people stranded.
If upgrades are required, preference is given first to our Gold Tier Executive Club members, followed by anyone who has reached the Silver level.
Please note that there may be times when our airport staff must make such decisions quickly and at random, in order to avoid last-minute confusion or a delayed departure.

sirwa69
18th Sep 2000, 17:42
If you want to fly Business or First then pay for it. Checkin staff and cabin crew do not like to be put in a position of saying no to you no matter how polite you are. A lot of airlines do not allow their cabin crew to upgrade on pain of dismissal so don't bother them.

------------------
Critisism is as bad as unfounded speculation if you don't know what your talking about.

212man
18th Sep 2000, 22:06
The following have worked in the last year:

"If you're looking for people to upgrade, we'd be happy to oblige" followed by much cooing over how many flags he had on his name badge "gosh you can speak THAT many languages.

"I know the flight is full but if it makes any difference I'm aircrew and would be happy to go in the jump seat"

"I'm returning home on sick leave having just been held hostage (true), do you have any quiet seats?"

Also, when a ticketing computer went down I was among 300+ pax on standby for a 747 out of LOS once. 4 of us formed an orderly queue at the back of a screaming mass of humanity, and were spotted by the supervisor. "come this way sirs, thank you for your patience".

------------------
Another day in paradise

[This message has been edited by 212man (edited 18 September 2000).]