PDA

View Full Version : At what experience level does it get easier?

Okavango
7th May 2009, 21:56
I understand there are no jobs at the moment. But in average times, what level of experience provides a real threshold opening opportunities in professional positions (ie those that will pay a mortgage etc). I've heard mention of 500hrs, 1000hrs, I guess based on insurance or command structures?

excrab
7th May 2009, 22:44
The UK job market appears to run on a seven year cycle, but more of that below.

In the early 1990s when there were no jobs about I was lucky to get a job flying for a fourth/fifth level carrier (if it goes down that far) having lost my job in the uk. At the time I had been flying for a living for 8 years. However, there were guys coming out of Oxford and Cabair in 1992 who didn't find jobs in airlines until 1998/99.

Now 15 years later, having lost another job in the UK I am flying a slightly bigger aircraft still a long way from home, because it is all I can find. So based on history, if you have just graduated from an approved course in 2009it could be 2015 before you get to fly anything bigger than a PA31.

There are probably no such thing as "average times" but if there are, this may be what they are like. And it fits with the seven year thing.

Sorry if it isn't what you wanted to hear.

Big_Mach
8th May 2009, 11:23
All bets are off in this perverse time when 200hrs gets you ahead of 2000hrs on the CV pile but, back in the normal world, operators are trying to get a balance of experience vs cost vs risk throughout their flight crew. In short that means it depends on their current requirements (which can change on a daily basis). So sometimes they need senior FOs because they have a lot of new inexperienced captains, other times they are happy to take low-hours who will cost less and fit into their planned manpower requirements.

Basically I would translate hour requirements (on commercial aircraft) thus:
500hrs = passed line training; understands the basics; still inexperienced (risk)
1000hrs = has about a year on the line; should understand the eccentricities of the aircraft now; has experience in winter operations (a biggish factor);
1500hrs = ATPL; should now be able to cope in most situations; probably two seasons of winter operations; salary increase
2000hrs = experienced; potentially command material in 1-3yrs

As a newbie starting out a good figure to have is somewhere between 300-1000hrs. It means you have some experience but don't cost too much to employ. Where you get those hours from is the question of the day!

no sponsor
8th May 2009, 12:34
Not sure 1000hrs = about 1 yr. I'm lucky at about 500.

Now airline recruitment has all but stopped for experienced F/Os. Don't get a look in at EZY or RYR.

This is not a 'normal' recession for pilot recruitment. I doubt it will ever return.

happyjack
8th May 2009, 14:08
"At what experience level does it get easier?"

In my experience it simply does not. There may be periods when things are easier such as the last few years with 250 hour guys getting jobs with airlines albeit having to buy them but generally this business is one long never ending struggle.

In these present times nothing will put you ahead of others as we are all looking for something that simply does not exist! A Job!

chongololo
8th May 2009, 14:25
It doesn't get any easier until you find your niche and when you find it then you need to stay there.
Slightly off topic but.....
What frustrates me is the constant shifting of the goal posts in this industry.
First it was you need 400 hours to fly jumpers, then it was 1200 hours with 200 multi engine time to fly freight. Then you need to have 3000 total time and also 1500 hours multi to fly that light turboprop you are all excited about. Just when you think you are in then they want 500 hours of turbine or 200 hours on type.
Now don't get this confused with the natural course of progression up the ranks, I'm not saying that I'm trying to bypass that, I'm just saying that you always will be aiming for some sort of benchmark until you find it.
But when you do find it then be happy with where you are and stop worrying about the grass being greener.
I'm still trying to find it myself.
Good luck out there folks in this tough time.

INNflight
8th May 2009, 15:17
I think it largely depends on personal goals.

If you're a 9000 hrs captain and all you ever wish would be flying a nice and sleek turboprop, I think you have it pretty easy, simply because most people are so jet focused and try to get off them sooner or later.

If you're a 9000 hrs captain and want a job with Virgin Galactic....welll..... :}

wobble2plank
8th May 2009, 15:42
Sorry,

Virgin Galactic are/were looking primarily for ex forces pilots with airline experience.

Never know when that might change irrespective of experience!