PDA

View Full Version : CATS & CAR - What happened to the daily/weekly hour limit?

mjhuson
7th May 2009, 19:48
Perhaps old age has had an effect! I am not able to find the daily or weekly flight hour limit. It was last changed (if memory serves me correctly) to Daily - 10 flight hours of which 8 flight hours may be consecutive and Weekly - 32 flight hours. The latest flight hours in Part 91 no longer show this. Has CAA made a subtle change and hidden it among the 121/135 parts?

If there's help - [email protected] please!

nugpot
8th May 2009, 08:25
The regulation still exists in Part 91.02.3 (3a - e). I have mailed it to you in PDF.

oompilot
8th May 2009, 11:22
CARS 135.02.5 paragraph (e)

(e) not schedule a flight crew member for active flight duty for a period
exceeding eight consecutive hours during any given flight time and duty
period unless authorised in the scheme referred to in paragraph (a).

This I understand as you can't be scheduled for more than eight hours CONSECUTIVE DUTY but may refer to the tables giving the higher maximum permissible hours once 'on the road' and this would not then constitute extending flight and duty. This is so as the tables refer to maximum flight duty time and above refers to flight duty and not flight hours. The definition of flight duty is from sign on to chocks on. so therefor you cannot as i understand be scheduled for more then say 7 flight hours in a day as you would have roughly a 1 hour sign on to add to this
To summarize then I see no weekly limit but there still is a limit on daily hours in the form of duty time.

It seems there is a move toward limiting duty time as opposed to flight time if operating under 135 or 121. Part 91 still contains the hour limitations but stipulates that these don't apply to 121 and 135. In 91 all that is written is that the operator must draw up a scheme and have it approved by the commissioner.

mjhuson
8th May 2009, 17:57
Thanks Guys. The regulation

(e) not schedule a flight crew member for active flight duty for a period exceeding eight consecutive hours during any given flight time and duty period unless authorised in the scheme referred to in paragraph (a).

refers to flight duty and is regularly misinterpreted as flight time as described in Part 91 as you rightly mention.

The add-on here is that although there may not be 8 consecutive flight duty hours, there may be a split of the duty which will enable the flight time to exceed the old maximum of 8 hours per day. (ie - a 6 hour flight with a break of six hours and a further flight time of 5 hours, giving a total of 11 flight hours and an add on to duty time of 3 hours [for split duty] making the duty period legal but putting the flight time in question (2 crew acclimatised commencing at 0700).

I realise this is a can of worms and can degenerate into company specific interpretations.

My thanks for the input http://static.pprune.org/images/infopop/icons/icon14.gif