PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies you're glad you don't have

anotherthing
7th May 2009, 17:54
My starter for ten:

Elephant Shot With Bow And Arrow: American Huntress Teressa Groenewald-Hagerman Killed It For A Bet | World News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Elephant-Shot-With-Bow-And-Arrow-American-Huntress-Teressa-Groenewald-Hagerman-Killed-It-For-A-Bet/Article/200905115277040)

ChristiaanJ
7th May 2009, 17:58
So sick, I won't wait for the other nine.

tony draper
7th May 2009, 18:40
Bitch,I hope she rots way from the inside and dies screaming.:suspect:

Blues&twos
7th May 2009, 19:04
From the report:

One blogger on texasbowhunter.com described her as: "....a (sic) avid hunter.

I think they've spelt 'sick' incorrectly.

A quite disturbing goal to have in life.

Lon More
7th May 2009, 20:25
She better not go swimming in the Sea of Japan. Looks like she'd keep the Japs in sushi for a fw months

TBirdFrank
7th May 2009, 21:29
Apparently this incident occurred two years ago

Why should it suddenly burst on us now???

Personally I think the leather skinned bitch should be put up for public stalking with bows and arrows.

Jimmy Macintosh
7th May 2009, 22:27
Hardly a hunt...not convinced she stalked it, and shot in the right conditions.
Sounds more like she walked up to it and let loose.

Too stunned for any more words.

racedo
7th May 2009, 23:04
It lay down asleep.

Thats not a hunter thats a moron with a bow.

Bit like claiming great success in shooting fish in a barrel.

parabellum
8th May 2009, 00:48
Some of the Animal Rights people are so militant these days I would think her own life is now in danger. I wouldn't wish her a quick and peaceful death, however it happens.

Flying Binghi
8th May 2009, 01:03
Credible story ?

Elephant killed with bow and arrow....:hmm:

Sounds like a Peta story :D

unstable load
8th May 2009, 01:32
Credible story ?

Elephant killed with bow and arrow....http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Sadly not! The modern compound bows will do that quite easily with a well placed shot:(

Flying Binghi
8th May 2009, 01:39
Sadly not! The modern compound bows will do that quite easily with a well placed shot

Much the same as shooting it with a gun eh..:hmm:

How did the natives used to kill Elephants before compound bows and guns ?

Peter Fanelli
8th May 2009, 02:33
Hunting elephants for sport is not illegal in some parts of Africa (http://indepth.news.sky.com/InDepth/topic/Africa) and many tour companies allow tourists to join organised hunting trips.
So who's really the bigger prick here, the hunter or the tour companies who promote it and make money from it?

Ancient Mariner
8th May 2009, 06:18
Flying Binghi:
Much the same as shooting it with a gun eh..http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Hardly,
It staggered 500 yards before it collapsed, then she left it to die overnight.

Flying Binghi:
How did the natives used to kill Elephants before compound bows and guns ?

Much the same way us Norskies killed whales before the grenade harpoon was invented. You would not like us to awake old habits? Neither do we.
Per

Flying Binghi
8th May 2009, 07:21
Local communitys gain employment, food and a monetary return from tourists hunting what many 'locals' view to be a dangerous pest animal.

(we got a simular little crocodile issue here in Oz)

500 African Villagers were fed with the meat from the Bull

Trophy Fees: Elephant, Male - $12,500 US

Daily hunt fee's: $900 US

Guide: $290 US

Observer/non hunter: $175 US

(sundry extracts)
...many water points created by commercial farmers and those by Government for communal farmers let elephants multiply at a rate of six per cent annually.

...Farmers had huge infrastructure damage as elephants destroyed not only fences and gates, but also ripped out underground water pipes.

...They bend over wind pumps and rip holes into the walls of water tanks with their tusks

...Trees and shrubs were also damaged.

...We must find an amicable solution for everyone, elephants, farmers and for tourism.

Nomad Adventure Tours - Namibia: Kamanjab Farmers Fed Up With Destructive Elephants (http://www.nomadtours.co.za/namibia_kamanjab_farmers_fed_.html)

henry crun
8th May 2009, 07:51
Flying Binghi: In the case you link to I have little doubt that most who post on Pprune would agree that some sort of culling is necessary, provided it is done quickly with as little as possible suffering to the animal.

What disgusts me, and I suspect others here, is this this quote "It staggered 500 yards before it collapsed, then she left it to die overnight". :yuk:

racedo
8th May 2009, 07:53
Local communitys gain employment, food and a monetary return from tourists hunting what many 'locals' view to be a dangerous pest animal.

Much as the same way we view CHAVS yet not allowed hunt them.

skyhighbird
8th May 2009, 07:59
Hypocrites the lot of you.

What is it with everyone? You know full well that the chickens you eat weren't living in a pent house in Mayfair and killed in the most humane way possible.

Yet the moment something you see on a David Attenborough gets killed, you are up in arms saying its sick etc.

Yes it was needless killing. But the fact that there is just one elephant in the world or 100'000 of them is irrelevant. Just because the likes of elephants, tigers, Lion's have been humanised by Walt Disney, it suddenly becomes a crime to kill one"

As the newspaper reported - it is completely legal to kill elephants in certain parts of Africa. And 500 were fed by it.

get over it

CathayBrat
8th May 2009, 10:33
Skyhighbird,
All i can say is :D:D:D
Having flown in east africa for many years, supporting hunting ops amongst others, i think hunting is a very good way of bringing hard currency into poor countries. It keeps animal populations at a manageable level and stops the entire eco system collapsing. In Kenya, where hunting is banned, Tsavo park is destroyed regually by large herds of ele's, which then causes problems for everything else living in the park and area.
P.s There is a tribe in central Tanzania that still hunts ele's with bows and arrows and spears, none of this fancy composite stuff though. Wooden and hand forged metal!

Ancient Mariner
8th May 2009, 10:41
Skyhighbird
Don't know about the others, but I have no problem with killing animals provided it is sustainable and done properly. Using bow and arrow for the hell of it caused in this case, if one is to believe the 'paper, unnecessary suffering.
Per

parabellum
8th May 2009, 12:24
Yes I support what the Ancient Mariner says 100%. People here are not complaining about the killing of one elephant, you have totally missed the point skyhighbird.

What does upset people is that this women is so pleased with herself that she killed the animal with a long bow and cares nothing for that fact that it then bled to death overnight, didn't even have the decency to finish it off with a rifle and I am sure they would not have gone out without one.
Matters are then made worse by the morons who leap in to congratulate her from various hunting magazines and web sites.

SLFguy
8th May 2009, 12:35
Would it have been ok if she managed to get a dirty great hook in the beast's mouth and drag it a couple of hundred yards into some water where it would drown or um..hang on... just drag it around then let it go again?.....no I didn't think so.

Happy fishing :hmm:

Flying Binghi
8th May 2009, 13:11
What does upset people is that this women is so pleased with herself that she killed the animal with a long bow and cares nothing for that fact that it then bled to death overnight, didn't even have the decency to finish it off with a rifle and I am sure they would not have gone out without one.
Matters are then made worse by the morons who leap in to congratulate her from various hunting magazines and web sites

Well...methinks we have worked out the scam here (or more likely poor reporting)

The 'hunter' may have done the deed, though the guide would have finnished it of - or do the locals leave the 'meat' out to age overnight - 500 meals remember...:hmm:

Posts in other forums - scam 'straw' posts via Peta or the ilk...:hmm:

YEP, methinks this be a scam news article all the way....:)

cockney steve
8th May 2009, 13:17
^^^^ I'm neither a fisherman nor a hunter....I'd suggest there are magnitudes of difference between the demonstrated intelligence of elephants and that of fish.....the suceptibility to pain is also a matter for serious debate.

Nothing against hunting /pest control /culling.....but sadistic cruelty , when there's a humane alternative, is just downright perverted.

shedhead
8th May 2009, 13:59
I notice that she managed to be born in both Texas and Kansas. more newsworthy than killing an elephant I would have thought! On a more serious note my revulsion at this story stems from the fact that someone would kill something for a bet.

Storminnorm
8th May 2009, 14:03
Fillet steak for tea tonight then?

goudie
8th May 2009, 15:31
If you want to feel angry at how humans treat animals, read this!

Five family members guilty of 'worst case' of horse neglect in Britain - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/farming/5296061/Five-family-members-guilty-of-worst-case-of-horse-neglect-in-Britain.html)

Jimmy Macintosh
8th May 2009, 15:44
It's not that it was killed.

It's that, as shedhead says, it was a casual bet that led to it. Also the fact that it was left to die over night.

The hunters I know try for the one shot, quick kill. One shot 24 hour to die is ridiculus and unnecessary. If the village hunters had gone out to get it you could bet they wouldn't just leave it they would have finished it off soon after it collapsed.

Believe it or not 500 villagers would still be fed once the kill was established they could have gone over and put a bullet in it's brain.

If I recall abatoires, just hit cows on the head with a hammer, leave them to die of a brain hemorrhage over the next couple of days then go around and pick up the carcases at the end of the week...oh that's not right, they go for the quick kill as well.

GroundedSLF
8th May 2009, 16:01
I am a little confused on this.

Apparently what this woman did was amazing. Never before done by any woman on the planet.

Correct me if I am wrong, but she hit an elephant, from 12 yeards away, with a bow and arrow.

Doesnt sound hard to do to me - elephants are fu:mad:ing huge !!! and from 12 yards...thats practically on top of the bloody thing!!

And it took ages to die, rather than killing it outright.

Now, if she had hit a sprinting cheetah with a bow and arrow from a mile away killing it instantly - I would have been impressed.