PDA

View Full Version : which PT6A-114A Overhaul Facility... HELP

Alex2403
7th May 2009, 09:13
I’m running two CE208B's which both need full turboprop overhaul within the next 6 months but am not sure where to send them.

I have been visited by reps from various facilities but feedback from most people who have sent their engines to the big 3 facilities seems to be very poor.

Any suggestions out there would be much appreciated. :ugh:

Vanpilot
10th May 2009, 19:31
Where do you get the serviced at the mo??

Alex2403
11th May 2009, 09:58
this is our first Overhaul event and in the current economic conditions I dont want to take any risks. so any feedback on your experience would be much apreciated.

ernie blackhander
12th May 2009, 10:39
as always you get what you pay for but i must say that standard aero has to be one of the better ones around, you can ring their rep get a friendly voice over the phone and pretty good support. tried to talk to oem one day just to get abused because my question was not directed through their authorised rep( even though the rep gave me the number ) plus it comes back with a cool blue paint job.

Westaussielame
12th May 2009, 12:35
One of our customers uses an engine overhaul broker who locates a good deal with a recognised overhaul facility and then does all the follow up and organises all the shipping etc.I seem to recall they had a rep onsite at some of the facilities.
I belive it worked very well but can't for the life of me think of the brokers name.
Cheers West Aussie LAME

Salusa
12th May 2009, 16:25
I belive it worked very well but can't for the life of me think of the brokers name.
Cheers West Aussie LAME

Broker company was Aero Assist I believe.

Matari
12th May 2009, 20:48
Alex2403:

When you talk to the overhaul co. reps you might want to consider the following:

1. Turn-time of the overhaul. Will they guarantee turn-time, and accept penalties if late? They may want a risk/reward scheme built into the O/H contract, whereby if they improve on the turn-time you pay a premium, but if they delay then they pay a penalty. It all depends on how important down time is to you as the operator.
2. Fixed price O/H vs. time and material. Get a clear understanding of scope of work before agreeing to anything. A good overhaul shop will have a detailed workscope prepared in advance. Press them to describe how contractually they would handle anything not covered under the workscope. (e.g., parts prices, labor costs, etc.)
3. Repair vs. replace. You can save money with rotables and component repairs, but what is the effect on overhaul turn time and engine life and performance? Get them to walk thru some scenarios.
4. Service bulletins. What S/B's will they include in the overhaul. Don't miss the chance to perform the "engine exposed" service bulletins. Understand which ones are optional and which would be a good investment.
5. Performance guarantees. Get some kind of test cell performance guarantee. Again, a risk/reward scheme based on performance improvement after overhaul can sometimes be considered.
6. Communication. As some of the other posters have noted, if you are getting rough treatment / neglect at the beginning of the process, imagine how much worse it can get after the sale. Go with the guy/gal who wants your business, and is an open communicator. Your experience will be much better.

Good luck.

lordofthewings
14th May 2009, 02:00
Dallas Airmotive..:ok:

Perrin
15th May 2009, 05:51
Tried a couple before going to Dallas Airmotive, they were by far the best. They
even came to other airports to do recovery work with very quick turnaround.
:ok::ok:

southcote
19th May 2009, 17:27
Try speaking with the guys at AirMed, Oxford airport, I know they are the Cessna 208 service center and deal a lot in PT6 work.

Alex2403
27th May 2009, 13:01
Thank you for all your suggestions after speaking with some people at various airfields we have decided to send the engines to a UK based company called Euravia.

Ill let you know how goes when they return sometime in October...

Thanks again.

p.s.

Matari, thank you very much for the 6 points to consider they were very helpful in determining which company to choose.

Alex2403
14th Dec 2009, 12:45
Thanks for the input and help gents. Both engines are back on wing and seem to be running great. But need to see how they go for the first few months before we really know how good the job was. In the mean time, merry christmas and all the best for the new year...