View Full Version : Pilots - a small boy's view.. :)

anengineer
1st Jul 2001, 04:08
A letter printed in an old flying paperback I dusted off recently... made me smile :)

Essay by a ten year old boy:-

Why I want to be a pilot
I want to be a pilot when I grow up because it's a fun job and easy to do. That's why there are so many pilots flying around today.
Pilots don't need much school, they just have to learn to read numbers so they can read instruments. I guess they should also be able to read road maps so they can find their way if they get lost.
Pilots should also be brave so they won't be scared if it's foggy and they can't see, or if a wing or motor falls off, they should stay calm. Pilots have to have good eyes to see through clouds, and they can't be afraid of lightening or thunder because they're closer to them than we are.
The salry pilots make is another thing I like. They make more money than they can spend. This is because most people think plane flying is dangerous, except pilots don't because they know how easy it is.
There isn't much I don't like, except that girls like pilots and all the stewardesses want to marry pilots so they always have to chase them away so they won't bother them.
I hope I don't get airsick because I get carsick and if I get airsick I couldn't be a pilot and then I'd have to go to work.

:) :)

[This message has been edited by anengineer (edited 01 July 2001).]

Tom the Tenor
2nd Jul 2001, 02:33
Hi anengineer, Me thinks the Plane Drivers are not going to find your post very amusing at all! I guess the Drivers can always reply with some good good commentary on Engineers if needs be!

------------------
What we want is a bit of Pop Music, none of this Beethoven!!

anengineer
2nd Jul 2001, 11:34
You misunderstand... I am not a flight engineer, but a computer engineer and a wannabee pilot, and I think the 'drivers' in this forum have more humour than you credit them with !

Dave Incognito
2nd Jul 2001, 13:52
LOL :)

A similar joke that takes my fancy:

Little Billy and his Dad were down at the airport watching planes taking-off and land.
Little Billy looks up to his Dad and says,

"Dad, when I grow up I want to be a Pilot."

His Dad looks down at him and says,

"You can't do both son."

------------------
Flying is easy - just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

HugMonster
2nd Jul 2001, 13:58
Uh oh - we've been sussed - and by a ten-year old!

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

The Guvnor
2nd Jul 2001, 17:57
I used the same thing a few weeks back on one of the threads about the current round of (in my opinion) seriously excessive pay demands.

Unfortunately, no-one seemed to agree with me that job satisfaction and the best view on earth should compensate for not being paid vast sums of money.

I guess some folks are just never satisfied!

http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/contrib/geno/phaser.gif

MileHi
4th Jul 2001, 07:34
Guv,

I don't know what you're smoking, but it's seriously affecting your thinking ability.

OR

You are in some management position, and trying to justify why you should pay your pilots so little!

:)

The Guvnor
4th Jul 2001, 16:57
MileHi - so tell me, which bit of 35% pay increase demands at a time when airlines are cutting back or going bust (CityBird just went into Chapeter 11 today, for example) do you think makes a lot of sense, then?

Coz I can't see it! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: