PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovered CDs

MagnusP
7th May 2009, 07:39
Just a thought. Have you good folks ever spotted a CD in the rack that you haven't listened to for ages, but was in "heavy rotation" when you bought it?

Last night, one of my daughters muttered something about "ashes to ashes, dust to dust", and I realised that I hadn't listened to Steve Earle's "Jerusalem" for about 4 years although it was on repeat in the car for weeks. Listening to it now as I type.

Fark'n'ell
7th May 2009, 08:37
Rediscovered CDs

Jeez mate,CDs? I have some of the real stuff.LPs Supertramp,Dire Straits,Rolling Stones,Beatles,Wings,etc etc. Must have over 50 dating back from the early 60's to the early 80's.

Sprogget
7th May 2009, 08:40
Tapestry's been getting an airing round here lately. I'd still have a cuddle with Carole you know.

MagnusP
7th May 2009, 09:05
Fark'n'ell: I have about 800 LPs in racks in the attic, and keep vowing to buy an Ion turntable so I can rip old favourites to CD or Ipod.

Difference is, I KNOW what's up there as, in those days, they cost more in real terms (and also took more of my wages), so they were all considered purchases. In the last quarter century, greater affluence meant more casual purchases with a lower impact on the (admittedly waning) memory. Hence, the joy of rediscovery.

ArthurR
7th May 2009, 09:06
Just bought a few going back to the times of real music, "Spooky Tooth",
"Moby Grape", Humble Pie", "Yardbirds" to name a few. Good listening in the car. :ok:

Lancelot37
7th May 2009, 09:10
I bought a CD by Queen. Listened a few tmes but haven't listened since I found out that he was a queer. Purely coincidently, probably.

MagnusP
7th May 2009, 09:12
ArthurR: all great stuff. Saw Moby Grape in '67, and have Legendary Grape & Truly Fine Citizen on the Ipod just now. I'd forgotten about Spooky Tooth; off to Fopp at lunchtime for a few purchases, I think.

Captain Stable
7th May 2009, 09:12
Magnus, might the "ashes to ashes" quotation be because of the TV series?

MagnusP
7th May 2009, 09:20
Cap'n: I think it was, but I used to do the husky-movie-trailer voice saying "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" when the kids were watching horror films. That, and "bring me the skull". :p

shedhead
7th May 2009, 09:26
"On the road" Traffic and "Grace and danger" John Martyn are both recent ones of mine, gradually transferring all my cd's to my laptop so this is a frequent occurrence. The gradual bit is because I then have to listen to them again after being reminded of them. Ok for most albums but the four cd box set of live King Crimson took a while!

Barkly1992
7th May 2009, 09:52
Queen, James Taylor and Cyndi lauper - getting used daily - all on my MP3 along with Beatles, Woodstock, Billie Holiday and much more. In fact I'm really in a Joe Cocker time warp.

Lon More
7th May 2009, 10:31
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51W4XQF76HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

1. Sally Go Round the Roses - The Jaynetts
2. He's So Fine - The Chiffons
3. Twist and Shout - The Isley Brothers
4. Baby It's You - The Shirelles,
5. It's My Party - Lesley Gore
6. Walk Right In - Rooftop Singers
7. Denise - Randy & the Rainbows
8. Mama Didn't Lie - Jan Bradley
9. Hey Paula - Paul & Paula
10. Louie, Louie - The Kingsmen

Got a whole series of these from early 1950s to late 60s.Complete with station breaks, ads, competitions etc. I play this one at Car Shows as it's the year the truck was built

The first post has me searching. Can't find that track but Copperhead Road is playing now, folllowed by Johnny Come Lately. Better not get too deep, 50Gb music on the i-Pod. Long way to go still before verything is copied.

Just found Jerusalem:ok: and Justice in Ontario