PDA

View Full Version : The Good Stuff

Stockpicker
6th May 2009, 22:12
Judging by fellow JBers' recent posts, there are more than a few people here who are getting shafted by life right now.

Without wishing to appear too Pollyanna, I have found it useful this evening to remind myself that there are some decent folk out there, doing decent things - as well as all the scheisters doing the opposite.

So, thread rules:

1. The deed you describe has to be genuinely altruistic.

2. It can't be something you've done yourself (though you could have been the beneficiary).

3. It can be as big or as small a good deed as you like.

I'll start - mine's actually a Proon story but that's not a necessary qualification.

When I was bemoaning having broken a favourite dish, a fellow JBer sent me a replacement in the post, and refused payment.

Radar66
6th May 2009, 22:16
similar story to yours stockie but on a lighter note...

posted a light hearted post about how i'd run out of vodka which led to a whole batch of posts discussing vodka types and their merits.

Bottle of Grey Goose arrived shortly after in the post from a ppruner/trabbist that had just visited Gib.... :ok:

ShyTorque
6th May 2009, 22:20
When I was bemoaning having broken a favourite dish, a fellow JBer sent me a replacement in the post, and refused payment.

Do you know, I lost a thousand pounds today.

James 1077
7th May 2009, 00:58
When we moved to NZ from the UK we didn't have much in the way of furniture as it was all heading over by sea.

Our new next door neighbours popped around on the day that we moved into our rental and immediately gave us a sofa, dining chairs, some rugs, cutlery, kettle and kitchen utensils to tide us over until ours arrived.

We were amazed at their generosity.

Then the neighbours on the other side of the road popped over, after speaking to the 1st set of neighbours, and gave us a spare bed, dining table and tv to help out too.

After a few neighbours had been around we had pretty much everything we needed and a long list of exactly who had lent us what so that we could make sure it all went back to the right people!

Lovely place is NZ!

Richo77
7th May 2009, 01:27
During our first Easter in our new house, our next door neighbour (whom we knew but only since we had moved in), made "Easter Bunny" footprints and left a small but expensive (probably $20 worth) basket of chocolate eggs for our then 3 and half year old son on our path/ doorstep. Completely unbeknownst to us.

Yelled out to her over the back fence so she could come round the front and see the look on his face when we opened the front door.

Civis
7th May 2009, 03:35
Watertown Daily Times Online - News (http://www.wdtimes.com/articles/2008/12/06/news/news1.txt)

Sam is a three year old who had been adopted along with his older brother from Etheopia several months prior to losing both his legs and the use of one arm to the bush hog. The above article doesn't begin to describe the extent of his other injuries. The fact that he survived at all is remarkable but not as remarkable as the outpouring of daily good will of every kind from members of their tiny farming community and people they've never met.

This kid is amazing. Had a visit with him several months ago to let him see the helicopter and he was racing around the hangar doing hairpin turns in a NON motorized wheelchair using only the one arm that works.

The outpouring of support for this family just reinforces the spirit which the posts above have already demonstrated.

If you're wondering how this could have happened, Sam & siblings and his new Dad played a lot of hide and seek - he snuck into the tall grass to hide.

Always someone worse off than ourselves. If you're on the receiving end pass it on when the opportunity presents :ok:

Blacksheep
7th May 2009, 07:10
Sounds like there are still some Poms in 'straylia... :rolleyes:

My caveat goes to Lu Zuckerman, a fellow PPRuNer who helped me enormously when I was down but not quite out. He's passed now, but never forgotten.

vonbag
7th May 2009, 07:25
Mine it's not a PPRuNE related story,
but I must thank Jackstay (from the USA) for all of the aviation & not related stuff he sent me as a gift... I had just made one question on another internet site.

Of course, I must be eternally grateful to the friends who dived in the cold water of a certain lake and came to rescue me, whilst I was hopelessy sinking... if it weren't for them, I wouldn't be here...

Sprogget
7th May 2009, 08:09
I washed my neighbours car while I was out doing mine. They didn't notice.

I don't mind they're good neighbours & that's luck enough for me.:)

angels
7th May 2009, 09:05
Great idea for a thread Stockie! :ok:

Papers today focus on the bad. In fact good things done by ordinary, decent human beings far outnumber stabbings and the like.

For some reason an old Spike Milligan story has sprung to mind. It is Italy in 1943. He is going through a village that has been devasted. A woman is wailing and mourning outside her ruined house with her family beneath it.

Another woman walks up and offers her a biscuit from a plate. That's all. She had nothing else to give.

Milligan saw it as a desparate, genuine act of love and compassion in a world that had been torn upside down.

There are uncountable examples of this kindness happening every day throughout the globe.

Me? I'll never forget the kindness of the folk in a village called Hindon on the Dorset/Wiltshire border where I did 'an Agatha Christie' when I had a nervous breakdown and fled London.

I can't describe the kindness they showed me. I'm still an honourary member of the boules club and have rung the church bells there.

It was also incredibly touchning to learn of the concern of JBers.

This is more than just a website. :ok: :D

sitigeltfel
7th May 2009, 10:36
I popped into an opticians called Optic 2000 this morning to get a pair of glasses repaired, one of the nose bridge pieces had fallen off and was lost. When I collected them later the girl refused payment saying it was a free service they did and would not accept any money. I didn't even buy my glasses there...............but in future I will.

Last week a neighbour called in to tell me that he had spotted some caterpillar nests in my pine trees and advised me to cut them out and burn them. I had been puzzled by the death of four of the trees and he explained the little buggers burrow down into the roots and kill them. He loaned me long ladder and I was able to get to most of them out and destroyed. When he came back for the ladder he sent his son up to get three I could not reach and he was embarrassed to accept a couple of bottles of Bordeaux in return. He said he was only helping everyone in the area from being infested.

24C at the moment with 27 forecast. Wall to wall blue sky and all's well with the world.

cockney steve
7th May 2009, 21:08
many years ago, I was havinga" hickup" in the finances, running my small repair garage....as a result, the debt collectors for the VAT ( sales tax) man had visited and set a deadline.

Regular customer, a jobbing builder,similar family circumstances with young kids, comes in, notices i'm a bit down. Unusually for me, I spill the beans. off he goes.........

half hour later comes back with a goodly-size cheque, on the basis that he's flush at the moment, and he'll spend that with me in the next 6 months or so, anyway!

I'd always found it odd that an "earthy" bloke like him,was a Churchwarden at the local "god shop"...yet could curse and denigrate the less upright members of the community.

His action that day spoke reams, a true christian. thanks Chris!.

Keef
7th May 2009, 21:37
Years ago, just leaving to go on a trip, I noticed a roof slate had slipped and was hanging off. I muttered about it falling off and leaving a wet ceiling to come home to.

Got home two weeks later: slate in place.

I found out, weeks later, that a near neighbour had seen it, got his ladder, and fixed it. Nothing said. Just "job done". He wouldn't take anything for the trouble, either.

There are a lot of nice people about. Fortunately, most of them round me :)

bsmasher
7th May 2009, 21:42
A couple of weeks or so ago I walked away from a ATM before it had spat out my cash ( I still don't know why!!) The person next in the queue called me back and handed me my bundle of notes.

D.

flash8
8th May 2009, 12:12
In a very dangerous country very far away as a Government employee was very drunk and lost my passport (a valuable commodity in those parts - I had two and the second stored safely back at base so it wasn't too serious at least not more than a bollocking).

Next day an old man arrived demanding only to speak to me. So I hauled myself out (with some backup) and the old guy handed me back passport intactus... and refused to take any compensation - that would probably amount to a weeks if not a months wages in those parts.

There is good everywhere in the world... which reminds me of a "rule" once told me by an ex US Nuclear Sub Commander turned Diplomat... "basically flash 90% of people you meet ANYWHERE on the planet will be good.. and 10% bad".

I live by that rule since then!

Radar66
8th May 2009, 13:18
I've just had the most amazing parcel in the post from another ppruner... :}

A certain much desired book that has been personally illustrated by the author all the way through and random notes in the margins with "things that didn't quite make the cut but thought would make you laugh". :ok:

:) THANK YOU! :)

larssnowpharter
8th May 2009, 13:21
"basically flash 90% of people you meet ANYWHERE on the planet will be good.. and 10% bad".

I agree with that man!

About 5 years ago we were visiting a desperately poor part of the Philippines. Had been out for the day visiting friends and took a taxi back to the hotel. 'The' is the right choice of word; 'twere the only hotel.

Paid the taxi driver, helped good lady out of car and, for some reason left my wallet on the seat. The cab drove off. Came back to hotel just as I realised wallet was missing so as to return said item. Probably $500 in it which would have been riches to him.

Gave him a $50 tip which I had to nearly force on him.

Storminnorm
8th May 2009, 13:37
He probably paid off his mortgage Lars!
Had a load of locals that used to help out with loading/odd jobs
down in Kenya. Would always buy them dinner when the work
overran at all. Used to join them sometimes. Quite liked "Mealy
Meal (?).
One of the Ops guys used to run to work from a place about 25 miles
away. I asked him if he wanted a bike I had at home. He said "Thank
you, but no, running is much better for me."
They were all lovely people. Must get a trip down to NBO again just
to see how they are.
India, on the other hand, was bl**dy AWFUL!!!

lexxity
8th May 2009, 13:51
My hairdressers not charging for cutting Leo's hair. Go on, out! :ok:

A passenger giving her bottles of wine to us (she couldn't take them through security) with the instructions to enjoy them on her, I had one and a colleague had the other. :ok:

BA throwing an upgrade my way after an enormously long day.

I know you said not to put in stuff you've done yourself, but when we were on Honeymoon in Sri Lanka, one of the bar staff was thrown in the pool by some rowdy guests. The poor guy's shoes were ruined. We held a whip round and made sure he got some new ones and the remainder was given to him. It wasn't just us, but others at the hotel as well.

BombayDuck
8th May 2009, 16:13
My roommates. Seriously, I don't know what I have done to deserve them. The Iranian keeps feeding me - "I don't like to eat alone." The Frenchman always knocks on the door while going out shopping because he has a car and I don't: "Do you want to come?". The Italian gave me half a year's supply of washing powder that he mistakenly bought extra (says he calculated wrong.... ?!).

Oh, and I haven't met an Englishman or woman who hasn't been cheerful, or stopped to give detailed directions to where I wanted to be. And your local cricket players have a wonderful sense of on- and off-field banter!

larssnowpharter
8th May 2009, 16:32
On a rather larger scale, I have an old schoolfriend who became a successful entrepreneur and made his millions. Always a decent honest sort. He is now in the process of divesting himself of his diverse interests and spending his time setting up what I believe is a great charity.

He believes that one of the solutions to poverty (and hence strife) is to allow people to earn a decent living.

His idea is to match old buggers like me with budding entrepreneurs so that we can act as mentors to them. This is linked to a micro finance set up.

There has already been a successful pilot in Jordan and he is looking to expand. Ex RAF pilot involved the Jordan pilot project found it very rewarding from a personal point of view.

If anyone is interested in knowing more I would be happy to pass on details.

You know, there ARE some good people out there who try to make a difference.

Stockpicker
9th May 2009, 20:28
Wasn't sure whether this idea would work as a thread, but it's possibly one of the nicest things in my life at the moment (apart from Mr Picker and the Stockette, of course!) - thanks, all! :ok: