PDA

View Full Version : Wannadventure!

Cyclic Hotline
27th Aug 2000, 22:42
Sunday August 27 12:02 PM ET
22-Year-Olds Try To Fly Around World

By BEN DOBBIN, Associated Press Writer

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) - At a recent air show in Oshkosh, Wis., several people sidled up to the "World Flight 2000'' booth to ask the young aviators the same, carefully phrased question: Do you remember Jessica Dubroff?

"Each one was kind of looking at the ground when they asked,'' said Daniel Dominguez, a bit irked to hear repeated mention of the 7-year-old girl who was killed in 1996 while trying to become the youngest person to fly across the United States.

Dominguez, fellow pilot Chris Wall and photographer Jesse Weisz are embarking from Rochester in a silver-bodied, twin-engine plane Sept. 1 in a bid to become the youngest flight crew on record to circle the globe.

They all turned 22 this year. To some onlookers, notably a few sponsors who held back on donations, that still doesn't seem nearly old enough to be hopping across oceans, over icebergs and war zones, through horizon-blotting clouds.

The crew is downplaying the "youngest'' aspect of the flight. "It'd be a nice thing to set a record but it's not the reason the flight's taking place,'' said Dominguez, who graduated in May with an economics degree from the University of Rochester.

More important is just the sheer adventure of steering 26,500-plus miles eastward in "Dreamcatcher.'' Their 1957 Aero Commander 560E is the same aircraft model once used to ferry President Dwight Eisenhower to his Pennsylvania farm.

Dominguez and Wall, who have logged thousands of flying hours since getting their pilot's licenses at 17, bought the disused plane with a $15,000 loan in 1998. They've refitted it themselves with everything from new propellers to sophisticated avionics and buffed it up like a mirror to reflect its surroundings.

As teachers got wind of the project, schoolchildren frequently showed up at the airport by the busload. They were encouraged to climb into the cockpit, play with the controls, ask questions to their heart's content. The lesson the crew wishes to impart: Work hard enough at it, and big dreams can often be fulfilled.

"There's always an excuse not to go after your dream,'' said Wall, an engineering senior at Rice University in Houston. "We've got to do this now. We don't know if we'll have another opportunity - we'll have too many ties, too many responsibilities.''

Weisz, a film studies graduate from South Orange, N.J., will provide daily photo-and-video updates of the 31/2-month trip on the Internet (www.worldflight2000.org). Youngsters will be able to follow the trio on excursions to volcanoes, reefs, temples, marketplaces and historic homes from Turkey to Fiji and Newfoundland to Nepal.

The longest leg will be a 14-hour, 2,042-mile hop from Hawaii to San Jose, Calif. Flying has "inherent risks,'' Wall said, but he worries more about foul-ups on the ground: landing-permit troubles, getting stranded without an available spare part, or running into "a guy with a machine gun asking questions in some weird language.''

The project is largely self-financed. Dominguez has been busy flying freight, reporting rush-hour traffic jams for radio stations and giving flying lessons. Wall has worked every spare minute as an aircraft mechanic.

Circumnavigating Earth isn't so much of a stretch for the pair from El Paso, Texas, who have been aviation fanatics for as long as they can remember. At age 17, they managed to persuade their parents to let them fly alone from Texas to Alaska. "Both our parents have been very supportive, letting us go out and live our lives,'' Wall said.

In 1989, 11-year-old Tony Aliengena became the youngest pilot to fly around the world. Jessica Dubroff died while trying to break the U.S. cross-country record the California boy had set at age 9. Both children were accompanied by their fathers and other adults.

Aviation history buffs deem it highly unlikely that the oldest crew member aboard any of the estimated 160 or so noncommercial flights around the world since 1924 was as young as 22. Such flights usually make no mention of the crew members' ages.

"Most round-the-world flights have been taken either by daring fliers, people in military service or wealthy folks, and you don't get into that realm without having some age under your belt,'' said Joe Conger of Airchive, a history-of-flight repository in Springfield, Ill.

As for this project's cash crunch - it has drawn an abundance of aircraft equipment and other supplies but less than $30,000 in donations - Conger isn't surprised that sponsors turned out, to Dominguez's amazement, to be "so stingy.''

"It's only natural for grown-ups to disparage young people,'' he said. "Most anyone over 30 who thinks 'Would I have the nerve to do what these kids want to do?' decides 'Heck, no - they must be crazy.'''

Around-the-world flights were a big deal between the 1920s and 1940s "when it was important just to prove it could be done - and done faster and safer and to pioneer new aircraft and new technologies,'' said Bob Van Der Linden, curator of aeronautics at the National Air and Space Museum.

Nowadays, he said, the world-weary attitude has become, "If you want to fly all the way around the world, then why leave?''
On the Net:
World Flight 2000 aviators: http://www.worldflight2000.org
National Air and Space Museum: http://www.nasm.edu/

dingducky
28th Aug 2000, 03:11
i think its cool
but i'm 22 myself so i feel kinda inadquate
no way i could do that now http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Genghis the Engineer
28th Aug 2000, 14:09
I recall making a complete hash of a sortie at the age of 19 in an RAF training aircraft.

As we shut down my QFI (who was just old enough to have been serving at the end of WW2) asked me my age.

"19 Sir"
"There were people fighting in the battle of Britain at your age, buck your ideas up".

They are either good or bad aviators, at 22 they are quite old enough (or young enough!) to be either. Best of luck to them. I must say, it sounds to me like they've done my homework and deserve success.

G

[This message has been edited by Genghis the Engineer (edited 28 August 2000).]

LowNSlow
29th Aug 2000, 14:55
Good luck and clear skies to them. They are certainly showing a hell of a lot of determination.

------------------
When the wheels stop turning you're high enuff. CubTrek. To slowly go...

Oleo
29th Aug 2000, 15:58
Yes - sounds wonderful. Can't wait till the book/film comes out.

All power to them.

Cyclic Hotline
17th Dec 2000, 00:19
22-Year-Old Aviators Circle Earth in Eisenhower-Era Plane

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) -- There were adventures aplenty: Waiting for a sleeping radio operator to clear them to land on Christmas Island. An emergency one-engine landing in Egypt. Flying a mere 10 feet above the waves off Samoa.

"We saw the full spectrum -- we're still trying to take it in," said Dan Dominguez, one of two 22-year-old pilots who returned
Friday after circling the globe in their Eisenhower-era plane "Dreamcatcher."

Dominguez and Chris Wall set off Sept. 13 aboard the 1957 Aero Commander 560E. Along the way, they documented their 30-country odyssey with diary entries and photographs displayed on the Internet.

The pair from El Paso, Texas, who both picked up pilot licenses at age 17, would like to earn a mention in the Guinness Book of Records for being the youngest flight crew to circle the globe.

However, records of the more than 160 noncommercial flights around the world since 1924 usually do not mention crew members' ages. And Dominguez and Wall play down the "youngest" aspect of their World Flight 2000.

"Most round-the-world flights have been taken either by daring fliers, people in military service or wealthy folks, and you don't get into that realm without having some age under your belt," says Joe Conger of Airchive, a history-of-flight repository in Springfield, Ill.

The youngest pilot to fly around the world was Tony Aliengena of San Juan Capistrano, Calif., who did it at the age of 11 in 1989, accompanied by his father. Flight record attempts by children were banned after 7-year-old Jessica Dubroff was killed in 1996 while trying to become the youngest person to fly across the United States.

Dominguez, who graduated in May from the University of Rochester, said their biggest thrill has been encouraging others to dream big. "You're only young for so long," he said.

Through their Web site -- <A HREF="http://worldflight2000.org" TARGET="_blank">http://worldflight2000.org</A> -- children were able to track Wall and Dominguez on excursions to volcanoes, reefs, temples and marketplaces from Oman to Indonesia to Hawaii.

The pair plan to discuss their adventures in school visits nationwide over the next few months.

They bought the twin-engine plane with a $15,000 loan in 1998. It's the same model of aircraft once used to ferry President Dwight Eisenhower to his Pennsylvania farm.

Wall, an engineering senior at Rice University in Houston, can still clearly picture "the green, lush Nile River valley in contrast to the desert" as they flew across Egypt.

Arriving over Christmas Island around dawn on Dec. 2 also was memorable. They had to circle the mid-Pacific atoll until someone came on the radio.

"They get one airplane a week," Dominguez said. "There's no television, no radio, no advertising on the island. It's just people living simply. We've never seen happier people."

In contrast, the Middle East was "the biggest culture shock," he said. "Everywhere you turn in Cairo, you can't not see a soldier in white with a machine gun."

One of their engines had to be shut down as they crossed over the Red Sea, and they headed back to a military base at Hurghada, Egypt.

"Both of us were working hard to keep the plane in the air, and we had to dump fuel," Dominguez said. "You're prepared for it as a pilot but when it happens and you're over foreign air space, it keeps you humble.

"As soon as we landed, we were swarmed by guys with machine guns yelling at us."