PDA

View Full Version : Can't run the Post Office?

Keef
6th May 2009, 20:07
I've been wondering all day why the Guvmint says it has to sell off/privatise/whatever the Post Office because it's not profitable.

Bear with me: I'm old and slow. But if the putative "commercial" buyer is expected to be able to run it at a profit, why can't the Guvmint? And if the Guvmint can't run a viable Post Office, how on earth does it expect to be able to run the whole country?

What am I missing?

ThreadBaron
6th May 2009, 20:11
Political logic?

Yes, I am aware that that is an oxymoron ... but there you go!

Sprogget
6th May 2009, 20:24
What am I missing?

Ownership, responsibilty, accountability. Political logic aside, I once worked for the council. I never knew such a dossy easy existence. No one cared very much, the money was there whatever happened :uhoh:

Ken Wells
6th May 2009, 21:40
I've been wondering all day why the Guvmint says it has to sell off/privatise/whatever the Post Office because it's not profitable.

Bear with me: I'm old and slow. But if the putative "commercial" buyer is expected to be able to run it at a profit, why can't the Guvmint? And if the Guvmint can't run a viable Post Office, how on earth does it expect to be able to run the whole country?

It doesn't thats the blinking point, it has failed. When you think the current Health Minister's first job was a postman and on his first day on turning up for work he went on strike, you'll see the mess we are all in.

Even worse Alan Johnson is muted to be taking Jacqui Smith's job at next shuffle and she will be in charge of the NHS. Lordy lordy, send in the clowns

Coincidently I visted our local Post Office today, and it was closed Half day Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't win!!,

Muffin Themule
6th May 2009, 22:43
Alan Johnson is muted

What? Did someone switch off the speaker?