PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon

rgbrock1
6th May 2009, 19:57
Hello,

First off, I'm sure the site admin(s) will remove this post if I have indeed inadvertently posted it in the incorrect forum. If so, my apologies but please do move it to the correct one. Thank you very much.

I am not a pilot. I do not fly planes of any sort, I merely ride in them on occasion. However, I do have a keen interest in all things which fly. (Apart from mosquitoes which are a mere nuisance, at best).

I do know, after having been reading these forums for quite some time now, that there are plenty of airline captains, flight engineers, et al, who frequent these forums. It is to you
that I pose these questions. (As well as my unabashed admiration for all that you do.)

I know that it might be against "company policy" or some unwritten "rule" to speak of matters of this nature but I am curious as to the frequency in observation of "Unidentified Aerial Phenomena" I am not talking specifically about UFOs, per se. (To do so would probably invoke the collective wrath of all reading this posting.) But I am referring to those
"experiences" which you as a crew member may have observed before flight, in-flight, or after flight which cannot be explained as a "normal" situation.

I thank you in advance.

bubbers44
6th May 2009, 20:14
Once I flew a flight that all of the flight attendants were happy, really nice and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying their jobs. Has anyone else had this experience?

tinpis
6th May 2009, 20:46
Yes. It was an all male crew....

crawls into safe spot in shed...

Noah Zark.
6th May 2009, 21:28
crawls into safe spot in shed...
Such a thing doesn't exist now you've made that utterance! :oh:

RetroFire
6th May 2009, 21:37
Aside from the usual shooting stars, meteorites, Space Shuttle launches and St Elmo's Fire, can't say I seen a thing!

ChristiaanJ
6th May 2009, 21:38
Black helicopter to base: "We have the shed in our sights".

Base to black helicopter: "Shed it".

carbheatout
6th May 2009, 21:42
The other night over the Sahara.

From nowhere appeared two lights pretty close together one above the other. Nothing on tcas. Gradually the lights got brighter and brighter (as Venus has been appearing in the East recently).

As is done over Africa, the skipper flicked the headlights on to make us visible/or acknowledge the other craft. Then all of a sudden the two lit objects disappeared.

Very bizarre.

corsair
6th May 2009, 22:22
Funny thing, on the umpteenth flight of the day, the other day. I was bored, well not really bored, but you know, lacking in enthusiasm for the career I wasted most of my life pursuing, well not most of my life, but a lot of it. Well some of it. It wasn't really wasted either, just somewhat wasted. Well anyway, you get the picture.

But I got to thinking of similar questions I had seen on this website and others. You know, instead of concentrating on what I was doing, like answering ATC, staying on course and climbing at a speed that didn't set off that annoying horn. I started thinking of UFOs, so I began looking for them, but there weren't any. At least I couldn't see any. None at all. Nothing to relieve the boredom. No more than I could see any of the other aircraft ATC were so conscientous in keeping me safely separated from. Having said that I did see a 757 and a Cessna 152 but not at the same time or in the same place because that would be bad. I did see a kind of UFO, I'm sure it was an aeroplane though. Just not one I could identify. All these modern designs have passed me by.

So the answer is no, I didn't see any UFOs, but then I don't look out the windscreen much. So they could be out there. I'll never see them though because my life could never become that interesting. Disappointing really:{

con-pilot
6th May 2009, 22:58
rgbrock1, as you are new to Pprune I suggest that you use the search function and type in UFO. You will be surprised that there are some serious answers to your questions. Really.

(Just don't bring up Roswell. :suspect:)

Welcome on board. :ok:

(Oh, many more very non-serious responces. ;))

pigboat
6th May 2009, 23:29
Roswell. Roswell. Roswell.

con-pilot
6th May 2009, 23:37
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jamier
6th May 2009, 23:54
Corsair :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Very well written if i may add

ZEEBEE
7th May 2009, 00:34
Corsair

Loved it... Brilliant work. maybe you've found a new direction in life:ok:

Don't know what it is though :suspect:

belfrybat
7th May 2009, 02:04
Looks like vertical down.:p

deltayankee
7th May 2009, 10:28
"experiences" ... which cannot be explained as a "normal" situation.

The only thing that routinely falls into this category is the strange ectoplasm-like substance that cabin crew stubbornly refer to as food, though it resembles none of the foods encountered on the surface of the earth.

corsair
7th May 2009, 12:19
Corsair

Loved it... Brilliant work. maybe you've found a new direction in life

Don't know what it is though

Neither do I, clearly it's neither flying or writing about it.:hmm: St Exupery can rest easy in his grave.......well his watery P38.

Storminnorm
7th May 2009, 17:14
Got "Buzzed" by a "Phantom" once over Germany.

I think they were bored.

FlightTester
7th May 2009, 17:30
We were on the descent back to ICT a couple of years back and I spotted something "odd" about ten thousand below us. The shape at the front was clearly standard Boeing, but it was being pursued by what for all the world appeared to be a giant black egg. As we got closer and the aspect ratio changed turned out to be a KC-135 refueling a B-2!:O

Gordy
7th May 2009, 17:55
Most UFO's have now been identified.. (About 1:40 into it)

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cn_u1Ebasek&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cn_u1Ebasek&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

11Fan
7th May 2009, 20:26
Well, that would explain why we didn't put exhaust fans near the Lav's. Don't want anything floating around hitting it.

Pilocol
7th May 2009, 21:05
Hey Gordy .. you got to be sh****ing me :yuk:... I cannot even think about shooting stars now ... man !!!
Strange stuff ...
In the darkness of the Saudi desert ... 410 to RUH ..
A light that looks like a shoting star but it is not going up or down ... left or right ..it just gets brighter and then disappears ... no idea what it was ... honest ..

No mer space toilets please ... :=

Keef
7th May 2009, 21:23
Indeed. A strange light in the sky, dead ahead, not changing position. Tail light of something?

Asked ATC. "Nothing in your vicinity". "Are you sure?"
RHS suggests I should have a word with my "boss" about it.

ATC comes back "er ... could it be Jupiter?" It was, too.

lomapaseo
7th May 2009, 21:42
ATC comes back "er ... could it be Jupiter?" It was, too.

so did you have to take evasive action?

Jimmy Macintosh
7th May 2009, 22:23
Who would have right of way...would a planet fall under the category of non powered heavier than air...

...weird airship maybe?

con-pilot
7th May 2009, 23:54
...weird airship maybe?

Naw, Airship is not weird, a bit strange perhaps, but then again so am I. :p

Carborundum
11th May 2009, 03:51
Did Airship post? I did not see it. Hello, by the way.

kellirvin
11th May 2009, 04:10
Hey! where abouts in Austin?

1DC
11th May 2009, 08:56
Number 1 daughter was about five when she took her first flight, she was very disappointed when she arrived because she had spent the entire flight looking for Giants and Castles in the air and didn't see any.She hoped her daddy was going to talk to the pilot on the way back so he would go a different way past the giants...... Had to tell her that the giants only came out in the dark so you couldn't see them anyway, she seemed happy with that until a few months later she saw Jack and the beanstalk and it was daylight when the giant went up to his castle. can't remember how i got around that one.
Of course everything would be alright if you pilots would just point out the odd giant or castle every now and then.........