PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaw, shame.....no laughing please

Krystal n chips
6th May 2009, 16:56
Practice what you preach comes to mind......alas !

BBC NEWS | England | Suffolk | Speed camera boss in 100mph drive (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/8035511.stm)

happyjack
6th May 2009, 17:29
Tee Hee Hee, Ho Ho Ho, Ha Ha Ha. (sorry, couldn't resist.):ok:

airship
6th May 2009, 17:44
SERCO had revenues of over 3 billion in 2008. I'm reasonably confident that CEO Mr. Riall already has the benefit of a company-provided chauffeur (or will with immediate effect)...?! :rolleyes:

He'd hardly have been expected to contest anything to do with speed cameras etc. (SERCO-supplied or not) whether these were in any way involved in this particular case...?! :ugh:

racedo
6th May 2009, 18:21
Bet talking to the boss was fun after that and his employees will be pissing themselves laughing.

ShyTorque
6th May 2009, 18:49
Not too far from where I live, a local councillor campaigned for a very long while to get the speed limit on the A1 near his village reduced to 50 mph and enforced by a whole bunch of GATSO cameras. He succeeded.

Then he was caught doing 80 mph through them! His excuse in court? He had "forgotten about the speed limit".

Noah Zark.
6th May 2009, 21:40
What goes round, comes round, as the saying goes. Poetic justice indeed! But I remain convinced that cameras are a hazard. On motorways and main trunk roads, whilst trying to maintain a decent speed (obviously assuming weather, road conditions, why? are o.k.) and not having the benefit of cruise control /speed limiter, I find myself concentrating more on looking for cameras, and watching the speedo, than what's going on on the road. :ugh:

pulse1
6th May 2009, 21:43
This has made me laugh all evening:

YouTube - Speeding Saves Lives (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vfs5-TO5ro)

Chesty Morgan
6th May 2009, 21:49
I find myself concentrating more on looking for cameras, and watching the speedo, than what's going on on the road.

I do the same. However, I wonder if that then qualifies as driving without due care and attention if you happen to ding something whilst not speeding. Or if you could get away with speeding by driving with due care and attention.:}:ugh:

Now look yer honour...!

Noah Zark.
7th May 2009, 12:58
However, I wonder if that then qualifies as driving without due care and attention
That's my point entirely. As the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. (and B***** speed cameras!) :mad:

BabyBear
7th May 2009, 13:31
Noah/Chesty, It's too much to watch your speed and take account of what is going on outside? Please tell me you guys don't take to the skies.

Ace Rimmer
7th May 2009, 13:36
With six points on the Rimmer licence - cruise control is now my friend - (or it is until three of the points fall off in Sept:E:E:E)

Noah Zark.
7th May 2009, 20:24
Babybear

Please tell me you guys don't take to the skies

I nearly have done once or twice whilst I was looking out for those b***** cameras! ;)

FlapsFive
7th May 2009, 22:15
I've only had my driving licence a couple of months (i.e. I can only afford 6 points for the next 2 years, or I lose the whole lot and have to start again) - I realise I'm not exactly an experieneced driver so I'm not necessarily a fair comparison, but I do find myself looking at my speedometer for a large percentage of the time (especially through a 30 zone, where the limit is surely there because there are in essense more things to hit?).

So although I think there does need to be a speed limit, there need to be some serious considerations about how it is implemented.

Oh and BabyBear, I do take to the skies... less concerned about busting the speed limit in a 152 though ;) - Would love to see it do 250 knots... or perhaps not!