View Full Version : Swissair jump seat..huh!

Look Down
29th Jun 2001, 16:09
I am at Zurich airport and I am trying to ventilate my frustration.After 12 hours
flight I had connecting flight with Swissar on staff ticket to xxx .The flight was completely full.I asked for a jump seat and the answer from the captain was:NEGATIVE.
That was all:negative.The staff at the counter tried twice and the answer was:guess?
a.negative
b.negative
c.negative

Well,gents help me to feel better.What happened to big brotherhood or professional solidarity?Or that was only the gesture of *&"+?
By the way the seats were not taken?

Still beliver in our camaradie. How about you?

Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I will go fishing

CaptSensible
29th Jun 2001, 17:14
Training flight perhaps?

Think outside the box.

I hope you make it out soon though...been there done that.

neil armstrong
29th Jun 2001, 20:04
He Look down,
Next time try a freight flight ,we freight dogs are much nicer to our fellow pilots

Neil

4dogs
29th Jun 2001, 20:50
Look Down,

Company or Flight operations management may have restrictions in place - the Captain may not have discretion. You do not state that you are a pilot, only that you have a staff ticket - there may be both security and safety concerns that limit those eligible to be carried and then perhaps subject to veto by the Captain. There are plenty of occasions where a jump seat rider may not be advisable or appropriate.

There is certainly no right of access...

------------------
Stay Alive,

[email protected]

160to4DME
29th Jun 2001, 21:02
Having always used Swissair for staff travel to Eastern Europe, I can only say I have never been refused jump seat.
Evan as a humble ATCO, I've always got onboard bar 2 occassions, when I was treated as well as some airlines treat full fare SLF, when they put me on the first available flight with another carrier (albeit a code share flight).
Nearly always get a couple of 1/4 bottles of fizz aswell as I leave.

"Swissair xxxx, keep your speed up, number 1" :) :) :) :)

Avman
29th Jun 2001, 21:55
Big thumbs up for SWR from me. Never had any problems. However, all companies have the odd bad apple. Perhaps you found him! Of course, as mentioned above, there could have been numerous operational reasons for the captain to refuse you, though I would have thought he would've had the courtesy to tell you. By the way, were you suitably dressed? Dress code is of great importance with some companies.

flufdriver
30th Jun 2001, 04:26
Jumpseating has gotten difficult in the last few years, I have gotten stuck in many places, most recently in London trying to go to Malaga, I ended up having to pay GBP 199 one way (plus a train fare from Gatwick to Stansted. I always ask for the J/S, I do get turned down many times, I believe the US pax carriers are the worst. however, a call to Memphis has always helped me to get home. Fed Ex doesn't ask you if you work for a 121 carrier, if they can help they will! In our Company, when there is no specific agreement the jumpseat is at the Captains discretion, I have always been willing to help my fellow Pilots, but I'm tempted to start denying the 121 guys. I do not ask for the J/S unless I need it, I have spent enough time on the Flight deck and prefer to sit in the back but when you're stuck, it would be nice to know that your colleagues are willing to help you.
But, I guess the Beancounters are succeeding, it is a Dog eat Dog industry now, even among the Pilots.

Anyway, only 13 Sims to retirement.

Bearcat
1st Jul 2001, 11:30
I will never forget years ago trying to get out of Zurich to Bangkok, I was on the flight three nights in a row befrore I was hauled off for swiis air staff pax. No matter what I said in respect to my bags going on board they did'nt care. They refused jump seats all round. Subsequently I was rescued by Luftansa who got me to FRA and onwards.
Funny it's a small world. Many years later as a Captain a Swiss air Capt comes to my cockpit and announces he required the jumpseats for his wife and himself.
Well I thought about it (but not for long)and asked him and his missus to try elsewhere.
Funny I work for a major and was never treated so badly.......what comes around goes around.
I have found BA & LH fantastic in this area and I would help these guys& gals anyday and have done so.

Capt Bear

[This message has been edited by Bearcat (edited 01 July 2001).]

GlueBall
1st Jul 2001, 18:01
Our 121 rule is that only Parts 121/135 pilots and dispatchers may be admitted as J/S riders, with current company ID, airman certificate and passport. And it requires authorization from Dispatch. Unofficially it's up to the Captain if he/she wants to accept a person outside those criteria. But under those circumstances the F/O & F/E have to be in agreement as well.

JJflyer
1st Jul 2001, 20:15
There is no such thing as pt 121 or 135 carrier in Europe other than the US companies flying here. I did like the use of Jumpseat privileges to go to places while in US. Perhaps with the JARS this will be possible in the future.

JJ