PDA

View Full Version : The Wire

Sprogget
6th May 2009, 10:52
I know we shouldn't discuss telly series on here (vapid celebrity etc) and I've banged on about this before, however...

I am completely in thrall to the Wire. I have never in all my years seen such a bleakly realised vision of America as this show. Essentially the story of drug dealers & cops in Baltimore, it is in fact all about the institutions involved. Over five series, it looks at drug dealing, the unionised dockers, local corruption, the school system & the media. It's less about the police interaction than the institutions themselves & how America can no longer deal with it's own urban problems. The incredibly nuanced, huge cast of characters reveal significant plot developments in each episode that unfold over the series, asking the viewer to commit to the season, as you would a book.

Compromises are forced upon the main players at every turn, undoing efforts at doing good & morality, ultimately making the establishment & the criminals rival colleagues.

It is so shockingly bleak & yet full of humour, that it's as far from TJ Hooker as you could imagine. If you thought CSI or even Hill St Blues was landmark drama, you honestly have no idea. Watching the wire is not so much entertainment as civic duty, I am utterly addicted to this show. After years of mediocrity, this is something that I cannot see ever being surpassed.

Go see it. It's all in the game.:ok:

Ken Wells
6th May 2009, 11:00
So real Enoch Powell could have written it.

South London's not much better.

tony draper
6th May 2009, 11:11
Yup first class series,would that Brit Television drama could take a leave out the USA Drama book,we just churn out naff shite now all of it of dire soap opera quality.
:ok:

Ken Wells
6th May 2009, 11:20
Ashes to Ashes is Good.

The first series of Hussle was great.

But overall I do agree

tony draper
6th May 2009, 11:30
We still do the occasional one off gem but I cannot think of a single drama series of any quality now all formulaic full of stock characters gimmick ridden and silly plot line like time traveling police women and other such inanities
The USA does of course churn out utter rubbish as well but the top of the range stuff,ie Sopranos West Wing The Shield and now The Wire is so far beyond anything done here as to be out of sight.
:)

anotherthing
6th May 2009, 11:41
Only caught The Wire recently when the first series was shown on BBC2. About time the Beeb showed something original and good :ok:

Now got the second series recording on series link (you've got to love Sky +).

As an aside, caught another US programme called 'The Unit', about a special Ops team. Don't waste your time, it is completely pants... the total opposite to The Wire