PDA

View Full Version : Parallel ISP's?

Keygrip
6th May 2009, 02:58
Have a home network - five computers, two printers a wi-fi transmitter, a VOIP adaptor and an LCD TV (which, believe it or not, has its own e-mail address).

It's currently fed by a cable internet service (6 mb down, 1mb up) which starts with a co-ax end that is screwed into a modem/router.

For all sorts of irrelevant reasons I'm considering having a second internet supply, through a "copper pair" telephone cable - at a miserly 1.5mb down, 256k up.

Is there any funky way of connecting these two together - or would I have to decide which machines would go onto which service....and would they still network with each other?

Bushfiva
6th May 2009, 04:42
There are hardware and software solutions. Check out things like Vyatta and Mikrotik. Search terms like "WAN load balancing" and "dual WAN router" should point you the right way. D-Link used to have something. I use this technique (but not this hardware) for my aggregated 160Mbps symmetric feed.

pmills575
6th May 2009, 08:45
How about putting a second network card in a machine and using that machine as the gateway between the two. I was doing that 20 years ago between ethernet, token ring and appletalk. Of course I was using a real O.S!