PDA

View Full Version : Pay in NZ

nad
5th May 2009, 22:14
Hello all

Bit of a broad question I know but could anyone give me an idea of starting pay for low hour scenic or scheduled gigs for the smaller operators in NZ (Nth and Sth Island.
Looking at having to return home and want to know if it is even feasible to consider flying for a living from an finance point of view if I was lucky enough to find a job.
760tt of which around 200M/E and CPL/SPIFR if it would be a factor.

Cheers
Nad

PS Did a search but nothing obvious found and was also after current rates.

Voidhawk9
6th May 2009, 00:19
You expect to actually get PAID?! :confused:

AFAIK unless you get a really good gig, you'll need a second job. Or a tent.
Seriously, I know a number of people who have had to quit because they simply can't afford to stay. May not be the same situation everywhere. I'd love to be doing something other than instructing, but financially not really viable in my position.:sad:

DeathStar-Alpha
6th May 2009, 00:50
Very hard at the moment to even get a job, regardless of experience or hours.

Many of my mates, myself included had 1000+ TT many of it turbine when we left our last job and I by chance and luck got a job after 4months, my mate went to scum air, oops excuse me I mean sun air :} barely above min wage, and another mate was jobless for a couple months aswell.

My unfortunate point is, and I don't mean to sound to rude or blunt, if you are to be realistic you could be looking for a job for a while. Some companies realise this job shortage and adjust their pay accordingly (it can be ridiculously low)

i.e $100per day that you do at least 1 flight, if you don't fly you don't get paid and you can be expected to be on call 5-7days a week. That is what a friend of mine is getting paid in the North Island right now. This is charter and freight.

Skydiving if your into that, with the larger companies like Taupo and I think Queenstown pay somewhere between $14-$18 per flight. which can be good but you pay is very weather depenant. You could earn $1500 one week and nothing for the next 4.

I don't know for sure, maybe someone else can fill this in for me but I think the tourism side of flying is starting to slow down, being the end of summer and all?

All that aside, if your willing to get out there and meet the companies and you've got the right frame of mind and a good attitude, potential employers may see this as an asset and employ you and pay you accordingly :) GOOD LUCK!!

nad
7th May 2009, 14:20
Thanks for the prompt replies folks:ok:
Kind of thought it would be a reflection of the worsening situation but good to get specific examples.

Nad

PegasusFury99
7th May 2009, 20:02
1000hrs would see you as a well qualified B737 F/O in Europe.
I am currently flying with 16 new F/Os - all started since Dec 08. ALL with only 300TT.

Enjoy GODZONE ?:eek:

27/09
7th May 2009, 21:47
Pegasus

A question about those new FO's you proudly speak of.

They wouldn't be on a 6 month contact would they?............ To return to the holding pool at the end of that 6 month period to make way for another 16 fresh out of the training system.

Of course once they are back in the pool it's anyones guess when they will get a "real job", but they still have that huge loan to pay back at some stage.

From what I hear the system in Europe (UK particularly) is as screwed up as here but for different reasons. I'm not sure that NZ or OZ is all that bad compared to Europe at the moment.

PegasusFury99
8th May 2009, 08:14
NO!
Full time Pensionable employment!

AND the GREAT thing here is - there is NO BITCHING like in OZ & GODZONE.

Enjoy :eek:

tinpis
8th May 2009, 20:43
Sounds like things are on the up in Aetearoa:ok:
Ardmore in the early seventies, an instructor for Kelvin Stark was being paid the princely sum of $1 per day.
There was an upside, his night job boss let him sleep in his shed. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/anim_cryingwithlaughter.gif

ZK-NSN
8th May 2009, 22:14
Expect to be paid around $20-$23k per year (before tax) True it is **** all, but its a means to an end. Do it for a few years and go to the airlines. A recent rule in NZ means that you need over 750hrs TT to operate SPIFR, so you may find it a little easier to get a foot in the door.

I would take the only helpful contribution 99 has ever (and probably will ever) make and "enjoy godzone". While the pay is crap, the hours are long and the boss is generally a bastard, there are some perks.
You get to do some awesome flying in locations that people come all the way around the world to see on their "once in a lifetime" trip, stuff that the boys in the UK will never get to do, You make some great mates, go to the pub and bitch with them about work (great fun) You also learn a ****load.
If I had the choice of doing it another way and going to the UK and flying jets, I wouldnt.
Anyway having met alot of poms I find it hard to beleive that there is no bitching going on in the UK. half the year its dark for most of the day, the beer is warm and the weather is cold. :mad: that.

The Green Goblin
9th May 2009, 00:13
You make some great mates, go to the pub and bitch with them about work (great fun)

I'm sure it is great fun, cause you couldn't afford to drink there :}

Fruet Mich
9th May 2009, 06:00
Hey Pegasus, I see you always going on about the great pay and life style etc in Europe. Mate it sounds bloody fantastic!

With all due respect have you ever actually thought about how guys like myself who can't actually get a licence to fly in Europe? My girlfriend is German and I'd love to shift to Europe but unfortunately 1, I'm colour blind and allthough I have a clear medical in Aus I can't get anywhere near a clear medical in Europe. And 2, I can't get a JAR ATPL licence and nor can many other kiwi's. Yeah it's a ****ty industry back here in NZ but unfortunately it's all we have for some of us.

Not a dig mate, just thought I'd put that out there.

Cheers

Cheers