PDA

View Full Version : My new hobby

dogeared
5th May 2009, 20:17
Non destructive lock opening,picking and all that sort of thing.Well come on its better than stamp collecting and its got its practical uses as well.
I have quikly found out not to let everyone know about it though because people cant wait to work in to the conversation that they keep nothing of value in thier safes.
Its just a hoby for goodness sake not a new way of earning an extra crust at night.Anyway why tell everyone here? i need any old locks to practice on keys not important obviously or that would make me a cheat:D
donations gratefully recieved:)

gingernut
5th May 2009, 20:34
Have you ever noticed, you're more than willing to chuck an old lock out, but you never, never, chuck a key away?

Rollingthunder
5th May 2009, 21:06
You can modify titles you know.

Hobby.

tony draper
5th May 2009, 21:17
Lorra coin to be made lock smithing,and in safe breaking.
Lady next door locked herself out so she knocked on my door and begged help,Yale lock, one had at it wi me lecky drill and a high speed twist, one was shocked at how swiftly I drilled out the brass barrel in a trice reached in wi me needled noses and was in.
If you have a humble yale lock one advice is to fit a dead lock also.

hellsbrink
5th May 2009, 22:41
One has always been able to figure out the weak spot on a locked door so knows where to kick it.

Cheaper for the owner than getting a lock replaced

11Fan
5th May 2009, 23:16
I did a little handyman work for a couple of months before my current job. Seems this older lady's son got himself locked out of the house and kicked the door in so he could come inside. Busted out the door jamb pretty badly. Funny thing though. The door had French windows in it.

Had he just broken out one of the windows and reached inside to unlock the door, the one broken window could have been easily replaced. Instead, he takes careful aim at the door just above the lock and kicks it in - resulting in a broken door jamb.

Only one thing not factored in to his crafty plan. When the door crashed open, it hit the inside wall and blew out all eight of the French glass windows. :uhoh:

Made a whole days pay on that I did.

parabellum
5th May 2009, 23:41
One has always been able to figure out the weak spot on a locked door so knows where to kick it.

A twelve bore shotgun cartridge discharged at the hinges usually does it too!:)

gingernut
5th May 2009, 23:44
12 bore is 1 way. Or delicately play with the tumblers:}

bnt
6th May 2009, 00:08
Have you read Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman? by Richard Feynman? He got up to some pretty serious lock-picking while working at Los Alamos on the Manhattan Project, deliberately exposing security flaws in their procedures. Much of it wasn't "real" lockpicking, more exploitation of situations e.g. finding an open filing cabinet meant he could examine the lock in detail.

unstable load
6th May 2009, 00:48
One dabbled in picking Yales and similar years back until the discovery of how paranoid folks got when they suspected/knew their stuff was less safe than they thought it was. Regardless of the fact that they had asked for a demo in the first place, quite often with "I'll buy you a beer if you can open this door".

blue up
6th May 2009, 08:33
The chap in the house opposite me had lost his job on the building sites (Persimmon Homes) and managed to get a full 100% government/Welsh Assembly grant to become a locksmith. 2 weeks of training later and he is popping doorlocks up and down our street as a demo of just how easy it is.

He is now happily making money out of the paranoia he is spreading. Clever chap!

PS. Morris Minor windscreen wipers have stainless inserts that are the perfect size for turning into lockpicks for Yales!:ok:

GANNET FAN
6th May 2009, 09:08
Yales are a doddle to pick but Chubb's on the other hand are simply the best

c-bert
6th May 2009, 09:13
Out of curiousity, how does one 'get into' lock picking, so to speak?

Are there books on the subject?

tony draper
6th May 2009, 09:25
They run a course on it in Durham Nick I think. :rolleyes:

GANNET FAN
6th May 2009, 09:37
Not far wrong I think Mr.Draper. Before taking up his post as Naval Attache quite some time ago, he was given a course on security which included knowledge on lock picking! Don't think he ever used it though.

mixture
6th May 2009, 09:46
Out of curiousity, how does one 'get into' lock picking, so to speak?

Are there books on the subject?

C-Bert

www.google.co.uk (http://www.google.co.uk)

Who needs books when you've got a broadband internet connection and google.

:cool:

NZScion
6th May 2009, 10:59
A twelve bore shotgun cartridge discharged at the hinges usually does it too!

Or you can just use a Master Key (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaching_round) :E

Lon More
6th May 2009, 12:07
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/auQbi_fkdGE&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/auQbi_fkdGE&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

tony draper
6th May 2009, 12:22
A hobby of a similar ilk,disarming bombs?,a tip,never cut the red wire go for the green one, then just as your side cutters are closing change your mind and cut the blue one,but make sure you wait until the digital readout which for some reason bomb makers always attach to their bombs reads two seconds to detonation before snipping the buggah.
:rolleyes:

vonbag
6th May 2009, 12:28
Certainly useful hobby, also, for instance, to unlock chastity belts.

11Fan
6th May 2009, 19:31
Never came across one myself.

Foss
6th May 2009, 19:49
Scottish Tourist board ought to move into safe cracking, phone them up and they'll pick a loch for you for free.