PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's Shirts

eeper
27th Sep 2000, 15:28
Slightly anal question this one...

Does anyone know where you can get hold of pilots shirts (i.e with epaulettes) made of 100% cotton. My airline only issues paper thin cotton/polyester mix shirts and I've always preferred proper cotton shirts.

As an aside, I seem to remember being advised when I started flying that the only dress code in flying was to wear cotton garments as it burns rather than melting to the skin. Any thoughts?

jacquestall
27th Sep 2000, 15:33
Try Churchills of Hull, no tel number or address I'm afraid, but great shirts!

dingducky
27th Sep 2000, 16:57
on the subject of flamability
at flight school they made us wear a uniform (with dreadfully thin see through shirts!).
they gave us a lecture on survivability. we were told that it was best to wear natural fabrics. for the uniform trousers they guys were made of wool. while the girls were stuck with polyester!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

------------------
Those who can't write, write manuals

Obi Wan Kirk
27th Sep 2000, 18:05
Italy is a good place for pilot shirts and uniforms, it is cheaper than the UK and the quality is 2000 times better. Try calling a company in Milan called Fraizzoli Uniformi, their stuff is top notch!

Comanche
27th Sep 2000, 21:44
A while ago there was the same topic posted, with some more suggestions. Try the 'search' option. As I recall, Transavia pilots are issued 100% shirts. I totally agree, the shirts issued to us are too thin, 65% polyester rubbish and too short, with a British Airways label. By the looks of it, they probably cost about 1 pound to make somewhere in Asia. I have made a point with my company to either issue quality stuff (since they made it clear once they are concerned with our image to the public regarding the wearing of hats) or just give us the money instead of the shirts so we can buy them ourselves!!!! Some more addresses and telephone numbers would be VERY helpful....The supplier in Denmark is very expensive.

Eli Vator
27th Sep 2000, 22:12
I kid you not :

http://www.pilotshirts.com

Mycroft
27th Sep 2000, 23:03
For UK it may be worth checking Naval outfitters eg Gieves and Hawkes as I believe the use of polyester has been reduced/banned since the Falklands

Buffy Summers
27th Sep 2000, 23:37
Also, can anyone recommend any pilot uniform suppliers in the UK (apart from BA stores, who are rubbish).
Thanks.

traveler
27th Sep 2000, 23:42
If you fly to the far east, take one of your uniform shirts to the local tailor shop. Tell them you want 10 exact copies made from the material of your choice. You'll be set for a while and happy with the price/quality. It will be your own money though.

BigJETS
28th Sep 2000, 05:53
sorry i thought it read "skirts"

------------------
Rotate, Please! airliner/in-flight photo site (http://members.tripod.com/bigjets/flightline/)

Davaar
28th Sep 2000, 06:45
At a recent safety seminar I attended they were very strong against clothing made of any artificial fibres. Not only re fire, but for sliding down escape cutes, I mean chutes, they advised against nylon or whatever pantyhose. Sticks to the flesh. I believe that specific warning was for the small number of lady pilots, and large number of lady FA and passengers. Who else could there be?

chihuahua
28th Sep 2000, 11:52
I get all my shirts from Airplan Flight Equipment on 0161 499 0023. I think that they can supply other items too.

Obi Wan Kirk
28th Sep 2000, 11:54
I agree BA uniforms are of very bad quakity and design as well as being extreamly expensive.
A very good place for pilot shirts and uniforms is Fraizzoli Uniformi in Milan, Italy. They make top quality at prices a lot cheaper than BA uniforms. There again the Italians are number one in the clothes designing industry!

kbf1
28th Sep 2000, 15:53
Further to Mycroft's post, any Military or livery taylor who makes RN uniform will be able to help with an off-the-shelf size shirt in 100% cotton.

Try the following:
Vernon Rees & Goodalls (in Leeds)
Uniformal (leeds)
Costello (Ilford)
Michael Jay (Stowmarket)
or even Silverman's (surplus shop) in Mile End Road, London

While Gieves the thieves are top banana, they are very £££. Silverman's will be best value, the others will be best quality without the G&H price.

------------------
Remember: all landings are controlled crashes!