PDA

View Full Version : P3 Rating

spongebathbob
5th May 2009, 16:02
Would anyone say a P3 rated driver is just as qualified as P2 or P1 and is totally capable of flying the aircraft and knowing the machine technically....

I.R.PIRATE
5th May 2009, 16:33
I would hazard a guess, NO, or else he would have been a P2 or even more flashy - a P1.:suspect:

spongebathbob
5th May 2009, 17:15
Thanks....glad i'm not the only one that thinks the same....but on the other side of the coin there are some that will say otherwise...please lets hear your views

boyracer
5th May 2009, 20:15
A P3 rating is restricted to above FL200 only ie may only occupy a front seat above FL200, with a rated fella / fellaress in the other seat . The initial rating for a P3 is issued with less sim time than P1/P2 . However a P3 is a qualified pilot who is an integral part of the crew he must be able to perform the same cruise duties and emergencies that a P1/P2 would do , and in most cases is very adept at finding and anticipating any data ie MEL , SUPS, and info that is required by the P1/P2. A P3 rating ( P2 restricted )can only log 1/3 time towards a higher license.
I think the P3 (P2 restricted ) as shown in the SA CAA license is a SAA thing.
Personally I believe a good P3 is worth his/her weight in gold and some that I have flown with out shine the primary crew in system knowledge.:ok:
Many joined as P3 and it gets quite frustrating watching the P1/P2 having all the fun , but things change and we all have our time in the sun:}

unstable load
6th May 2009, 00:38
Personally I believe a good P3 is worth his/her weight in gold and some that I have flown with out shine the primary crew in system knowledge.

You probably would have been the same with the challenge of getting into the seat full time.
Personally I think it's great that the system is in place to let low time people into a cockpit and "serve their apprenticeship" so to say.
Then again, I am one of the "black hand brigade" who defers your snags.....:E so that opinion may not count for much.

Wiele
14th May 2009, 09:42
Hi guys! There are some P3's in SAA with 10000+ hours of flying experience. Depending on the need when you start at SAA you might go to the A340's as a P3 or straight to the B738's as a P2. Some P3's at SAA are Grade1 DE's.

Being a P3 is not as bad as some people might think. Yes, you miss the actual flying but it is a good learning experience and a fantastic oppertunity to see the world.

P3 does not mean you are inexperienced, it is just the way the system works and it works well!! :=

Rusty Shagman
14th May 2009, 17:13
Would anyone say a P3 rated driver is just as qualified as P2 or P1 and is totally capable of flying the aircraft and knowing the machine technically....

If you take into account that a certain SAA boy pilot—oops, you're not allowed to call them that anymore—uh ... P3, managed to get a direct entry B744 command at Atlas UK (or GSS, whatever they call themselves these days) a few years ago, with no more than a "P3" qualification, I'd say there's a case for for your P3 bloke being as good as old Kaptein (do they still have to call him that at SAA?), even! :}

groundfloor
18th May 2009, 09:03
The SAA P3 did not get a direct entry command but direct entry onto 747 classic as a co-jo. The company then got rid of the classics so he ended up on a 400 course. After maybe 18 months he was offered an upgrade and now a 400 Captain...But then he`s an ex chopperjock!!! and a very good operator!

unstable load
18th May 2009, 09:36
.But then he`s an ex chopperjock!!! and a very good operator!

Nuff sed!!:D:D