View Full Version : WW2 Lancasters-Dennis Barber

Plumkin
5th May 2009, 12:55
Years ago when I was at college about 1980/1 ,I met a fellow called Dennis Barber. Although reluctant to talk about his WW2 experiences, he did mention he was a navigator/bomb aimer on Lancs. One story was a crash landing when he was the only survivor. Also mention of crash/landing at Croydon airport.
One evening a footy game was on the tv-against Carl Zeiss Jena-he mentioned a bombing raid on the town where the factory{optical instruments} was based.

Thats all I can recall-dont remember his base,squadron,etc.At the time in my youth I didnt feel it appropriate to probe further.

Anybody out there recognise this fellow?:)

forget
5th May 2009, 13:14
Is this him (he?). Second pic down.

AeroVenture Home of South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum (http://www.aeroventure.org.uk/mainnews.php)

Plumkin
5th May 2009, 16:22
Hi,

thats incredible-well done-great research !:)

From the picture Im not sure if Dennis is on the far left with hands crossed, or the fellow in the blue cap.Does the write up suggest hes the person on the far left...?

The photo was taken 2004.If hes still around,lets hope so, he would be say 85-90 years old. He must have been say 60 when I met him in 1980.

I suppose the Aviation Museum might provide further leads, service history,old photos,etc.

Thanks again!